It's the last bourbon on earth, but you'd still pass it up

Lenient
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently had an absolutely ghastly bottle of Michters 10, it was from 2016 I think, not sure though.  It was so bad I didn't even put it in my infinity bottle for fear of ruining for eternity - didn't finish the bottle either.  Must have been an outlier b/c Michters is usually OK, albeit overpriced

4 hours ago, Kyjd75 said:

Woodford Reserve Double Oak.  I can't stand this stuff.

Amen!

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, Kyjd75 said:

I have to agree.  Boy was I happy to be rid of that bottle.   

On 5/29/2018 at 12:56 PM, Kyjd75 said:

I haven't had that, but I'm imagining it's similar to the really old bourbon we could try at Heaven Hill--to me it was disgusting and like trying to drink an oak tree. Is it like that? 

Cooper's Craft.  I'd just assume drink water.  Right up there is Hudson Bay Baby Bourbon.  If offered either for free, I'd pass; not worth taking up space IMHO.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:00 PM, Lenient said:

I haven't had that, but I'm imagining it's similar to the really old bourbon we could try at Heaven Hill--to me it was disgusting and like trying to drink an oak tree. Is it like that? 

It’s not like that. Double Oak is concentrated flavors due to the second cask, not too much wood due to being in the same barrel for too long. 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Glad to see that they are making 50ml bottles, so I'll try at least one of those. They clearly are doing more than just finishing the whisky in the Tabasco barrels since they are adding a Tabasco Sauce "essence," which likely means a Tabasco syrup and lowering the proof to 70 proof. This very possibly could end up being the worst whisky/liqueur I've ever tasted, but it might be a pleasant surprise, especially since I like both Tabasco and Dickel separately.

Well, I finally was able to find some 50ml sample bottles of this stuff to give it a try. At $1 per bottle, it was actually cheaper to buy a bunch of the sample bottles than it would be to buy a 750ml bottle.

This stuff is very different. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great either. You definitely get a little of the heat from the Tabasco, but not much of the Dickel really comes through...so Steve should love that part of it! [emoji6] It’s a bit thin with a mild hot, sweet finish. It’s more like a lightly sweet hot liquor, which is probably what they were going for. I can see this being used in cocktails...maybe even a new style of Bloody Mary. I’m not sure if I could say I’d never buy a full size bottle, but I’m glad I found the minis so I don’t have to make that decision.
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, I finally was able to find some 50ml sample bottles of this stuff to give it a try. At $1 per bottle, it was actually cheaper to buy a bunch of the sample bottles than it would be to buy a 750ml bottle.

This stuff is very different. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great either. You definitely get a little of the heat from the Tabasco, but not much of the Dickel really comes through...so Steve should love that part of it! emoji6.png It’s a bit thin with a mild hot, sweet finish. It’s more like a lightly sweet hot liquor, which is probably what they were going for. I can see this being used in cocktails...maybe even a new style of Bloody Mary. I’m not sure if I could say I’d never buy a full size bottle, but I’m glad I found the minis so I don’t have to make that decision.

A "High Noon" is a bourbon Bloody Mary. This isn't technically bourbon though. Have to come up with an interesting name.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

This stuff is very different. It’s not horrible, but it’s not great either. You definitely get a little of the heat from the Tabasco, but not much of the Dickel really comes through...so Steve should love that part of it! emoji6.png It’s a bit thin with a mild hot, sweet finish. It’s more like a lightly sweet hot liquor, which is probably what they were going for. I can see this being used in cocktails...maybe even a new style of Bloody Mary. I’m not sure if I could say I’d never buy a full size bottle, but I’m glad I found the minis so I don’t have to make that decision.

A long time ago, Squire ( whose contributions here I miss) said something to the effect that he likes his bourbon to taste like bourbon.  +1.

• I like it 2

Woodford French Oaked Cask..... Huge Woodford fan, grabbed one at a LB release.. As soon as it hits your pallet it makes you cringe.  I let it sit for 5 months still tastes terrbile.  Even adding Coke couldnt save this and it cost me $55.00 for a 375...

Not necessarily bourbon but anything from High West, literally was like drinking gasoline.  Wretched stuff...

3 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Not necessarily bourbon but anything from High West, literally was like drinking gasoline.  Wretched stuff...

Wow tastes are subjective but considering that they bottle stuff from multiple different sources this seems unlikely, not questioning your tastes. Apart from the OMG Rye I can't think of a HW product that I don't like or love. 

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

You must have gotten a bad bottle. HW is very tasty. 

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Uhhhhhhh...........what?

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I suffered through a bottle HW Rendezvous Rye.  Not gasoline but not very good either.  Flavors and nose just very muddled and unfocused.  Won't buy anything HW ever again. 

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

I suffered through a bottle HW Rendezvous Rye.  Not gasoline but not very good either.  Flavors and nose just very muddled and unfocused.  Won't buy anything HW ever again. 

Out of curiosity what Rye's do you like, no offense or anything intended, just surprised someone would be so turned off to this one.  

• I like it 1

40 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Out of curiosity what Rye's do you like, no offense or anything intended, just surprised someone would be so turned off to this one.  

No offense taken.  It's all good conversation.  I'm currently enjoying a Whistle Pig 10yr store pick, Willett 4yr, Knob Creek SiB, KC cask strength and Rittenhouse.  Also really liked Pikesville.  But I was also quite disappointed in a just finished bottle of EH Taylor rye.  Go figure...

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Uhhhhhhh...........what?

Must have been, it was the American Praire Bourbon.  First try, just very, very dry and the aftertaste was of gasoline or lighter fluid.  Hyperbole for sure, but that pour, at least, was terrible.

19 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Must have been, it was the American Praire Bourbon.  First try, just very, very dry and the aftertaste was of gasoline or lighter fluid.  Hyperbole for sure, but that pour, at least, was terrible.

Thats the problem..the AM Prairie is probably my least favorite. Try the campfire and double rye. The campfire intentionally has scotch in it but is fantastic. Have not had the bourye. 

37 minutes ago, fosmith said:

No offense taken.  It's all good conversation.  I'm currently enjoying a Whistle Pig 10yr store pick, Willett 4yr, Knob Creek SiB, KC cask strength and Rittenhouse.  Also really liked Pikesville.  But I was also quite disappointed in a just finished bottle of EH Taylor rye.  Go figure...

I'm not big on EH Taylor Rye myself not bad but not worth the price. Interesting since you hit both ends of the spectrum with a 100% Rye (WP) and several barely legal ryes.

21 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Thats the problem..the AM Prairie is probably my least favorite. Try the campfire and double rye. The campfire intentionally has scotch in it but is fantastic. Have not had the bourye. 

I'll keep that in mind, good to know.

On 8/7/2018 at 1:19 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Don’t know how recent your purchase was but HW recently began making DR with their own distilled rye. Campfire has now joined that club as well. Having not tried it xant say what if any difference it made but also not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Prior to that I would have to say for me they were definitely not what I would call wretched though!

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Don’t know how recent your purchase was but HW recently began making DR with their own distilled rye. Campfire has now joined that club as well. Having not tried it xant say what if any difference it made but also not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Prior to that I would have to say for me they were definitely not what I would call wretched though!

You learn something new everyday! Anyone actually tried the new juice, how does it compare?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.