JoeTerp

Abraham Bowman Sweet XVI

JoeTerp

So A Smith Bowman is releasing the next Abraham Bowman (Release 17) this Saturday at 10 am.  It's a 16 year old 116 proof bourbon for $69.99.  Anyone from the DMV planning on being there?  

Clifford

The first rule of Fight Club, is you don't talk about Fight Club.  The second rule of Fight Club is-You Don't Talk about Fight Club.

Harry in WashDC
23 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

So A Smith Bowman is releasing the next Abraham Bowman (Release 17) this Saturday at 10 am.  It's a 16 year old 116 proof bourbon for $69.99.  Anyone from the DMV planning on being there?  

Saturday 28 April?  Damn.  I have two guys coming to do yard work with me that AM.    Maybe I can plan a trip to Lowe's with a side trip to the distillery.  They can load mulch; I can load bourbon.

• I like it 1

JoeTerp

Yeah it's this Saturday.  Good luck Harry.

JoeTerp
On 4/25/2018 at 4:43 PM, Clifford said:

The first rule of Fight Club, is you don't talk about Fight Club.  The second rule of Fight Club is-You Don't Talk about Fight Club.

Judging by the lines, this wasn’t exactly a secret. Just picked mine up. 

16 year whetted bourbon at 116 proof

Harry in WashDC
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Judging by the lines, this wasn’t exactly a secret. Just picked mine up. 

16 year whetted bourbon at 116 proof

I was not able to make it.  Congratulations.  I'll just keep telling myself that my sweet spot is 6-9 years.  Unless I can talk a clerk at my favorite VA ABC store into hunting one down for me.  It could happen.B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC

JoeTerp
4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I was not able to make it.  Congratulations.  I'll just keep telling myself that my sweet spot is 6-9 years.  Unless I can talk a clerk at my favorite VA ABC store into hunting one down for me.  It could happen.B)

Good luck Harry.  I'd imagine this is going into the lottery, but you never know with Virginia (and they haven't done a lottery since mid-January).

VAGentleman

Finally opened mine.  Man the nose is incredible, I could smell this all night long.  I get the oak and tons of caramel.  The taste is the same, oak up front turning into a caramel bomb.  Very thick mouthfeel and the legs on the glass are huge.  The finish lasts a long time with caramel hanging the whole time.  It is a little hot tasting at 116.  A couple drops of water or an ice cube really open this up and make it sweet.  It's supposedly a wheater and it does taste different than the first two bourbons released as Abraham that I believe were 17 and 18 years and rye bourbons.  Those were spicier but still incredible.  I'll have to do a side by side maybe this weekend.  Really top notch stuff

• I like it 1

JoeTerp
3 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

Finally opened mine.  Man the nose is incredible, I could smell this all night long.  I get the oak and tons of caramel.  The taste is the same, oak up front turning into a caramel bomb.  Very thick mouthfeel and the legs on the glass are huge.  The finish lasts a long time with caramel hanging the whole time.  It is a little hot tasting at 116.  A couple drops of water or an ice cube really open this up and make it sweet.  It's supposedly a wheater and it does taste different than the first two bourbons released as Abraham that I believe were 17 and 18 years and rye bourbons.  Those were spicier but still incredible.  I'll have to do a side by side maybe this weekend.  Really top notch stuff

I did confirm that it is a wheater.  The one thing I didn't ask and would be curious about is what the barrel proof on this was as I'm curious how much water they added to bottle.

Glad to see the note as I've got a bunch of stuff to get to to clear out some room to open this one up.

Charlutz

Is that $70 retail for a 375 or 750?

VAGentleman

750 ml

Bob_Loblaw

Is this exclusively a distillery only item or just the initial release? Aka should I be on the lookout...

JoeTerp

Not sure where you live, but this will be extremely limited outside of VA.  The Abraham Bowman line is their limited edition one-time release line and this one came from 12 barrels and lost around 60% to the angels.  There was likely less than 1,500 total barrels and they probably sold around a third at the distillery release.  I know VA ABC will also get some bottles, and that won't leave very much for national distribution.