Abraham Bowman Sweet XVI

JoeTerp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So A Smith Bowman is releasing the next Abraham Bowman (Release 17) this Saturday at 10 am.  It's a 16 year old 116 proof bourbon for $69.99.  Anyone from the DMV planning on being there?  

The first rule of Fight Club, is you don't talk about Fight Club.  The second rule of Fight Club is-You Don't Talk about Fight Club.

23 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

So A Smith Bowman is releasing the next Abraham Bowman (Release 17) this Saturday at 10 am.  It's a 16 year old 116 proof bourbon for $69.99.  Anyone from the DMV planning on being there?  

Saturday 28 April?  Damn.  I have two guys coming to do yard work with me that AM.    Maybe I can plan a trip to Lowe's with a side trip to the distillery.  They can load mulch; I can load bourbon.

• I like it 1

On 4/25/2018 at 4:43 PM, Clifford said:

The first rule of Fight Club, is you don't talk about Fight Club.  The second rule of Fight Club is-You Don't Talk about Fight Club.

Judging by the lines, this wasn’t exactly a secret. Just picked mine up. 

16 year whetted bourbon at 116 proof

7 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Judging by the lines, this wasn’t exactly a secret. Just picked mine up. 

16 year whetted bourbon at 116 proof

I was not able to make it.  Congratulations.  I'll just keep telling myself that my sweet spot is 6-9 years.  Unless I can talk a clerk at my favorite VA ABC store into hunting one down for me.  It could happen.B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I was not able to make it.  Congratulations.  I'll just keep telling myself that my sweet spot is 6-9 years.  Unless I can talk a clerk at my favorite VA ABC store into hunting one down for me.  It could happen.B)

Good luck Harry.  I'd imagine this is going into the lottery, but you never know with Virginia (and they haven't done a lottery since mid-January).

Finally opened mine.  Man the nose is incredible, I could smell this all night long.  I get the oak and tons of caramel.  The taste is the same, oak up front turning into a caramel bomb.  Very thick mouthfeel and the legs on the glass are huge.  The finish lasts a long time with caramel hanging the whole time.  It is a little hot tasting at 116.  A couple drops of water or an ice cube really open this up and make it sweet.  It's supposedly a wheater and it does taste different than the first two bourbons released as Abraham that I believe were 17 and 18 years and rye bourbons.  Those were spicier but still incredible.  I'll have to do a side by side maybe this weekend.  Really top notch stuff

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, VAGentleman said:

Finally opened mine.  Man the nose is incredible, I could smell this all night long.  I get the oak and tons of caramel.  The taste is the same, oak up front turning into a caramel bomb.  Very thick mouthfeel and the legs on the glass are huge.  The finish lasts a long time with caramel hanging the whole time.  It is a little hot tasting at 116.  A couple drops of water or an ice cube really open this up and make it sweet.  It's supposedly a wheater and it does taste different than the first two bourbons released as Abraham that I believe were 17 and 18 years and rye bourbons.  Those were spicier but still incredible.  I'll have to do a side by side maybe this weekend.  Really top notch stuff

I did confirm that it is a wheater.  The one thing I didn't ask and would be curious about is what the barrel proof on this was as I'm curious how much water they added to bottle.

Glad to see the note as I've got a bunch of stuff to get to to clear out some room to open this one up.

Is this exclusively a distillery only item or just the initial release? Aka should I be on the lookout...

Not sure where you live, but this will be extremely limited outside of VA.  The Abraham Bowman line is their limited edition one-time release line and this one came from 12 barrels and lost around 60% to the angels.  There was likely less than 1,500 total barrels and they probably sold around a third at the distillery release.  I know VA ABC will also get some bottles, and that won't leave very much for national distribution.

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2018 at 11:43 AM, GeeTen said:

"Yes, please?"

The VA ABC store I frequent most, and the two next closest which I also frequent and both of which have bourbon fans running them, said they got minimal bottles (none, three, and ten), and persons were sitting outside the store waiting on delivery day.  Gone within minutes.  Website says there are none to be had.

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

The VA ABC store I frequent most, and the two next closest which I also frequent and both of which have bourbon fans running them, said they got minimal bottles (none, three, and ten), and persons were sitting outside the store waiting on delivery day.  Gone within minutes.  Website says there are none to be had.

I had no idea these even went through the VA ABC yet.

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Boo Hoo.  And I still can't find any 10yr Belle Meade SiB CS up here, either.  Sounds like I need a road trip by car to Brevard, NC to see the BIL and family soon (heh, heh).

Edited by GeeTen

8 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

I had no idea these even went through the VA ABC yet.

Maybe I got bad info.  I'll be over there this weekend, and I'll check with the manager of my regular store. EDIT - I'm wondering about the bottle count I was told, though. 

Edited by Harry in WashDC

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Boo Hoo.  And I still can't find any 10yr Belle Meade SiB CS up here, either.  Sounds like I need a road trip by car to Brevard, NC to see the BIL and family soon (heh, heh).

Let me know if you’re driving through. I know a few places in Maryland that should have some (it’s possible that’s it’s.a nine year version though) and at a pretty good price ~$50. 

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Maybe I got bad info.  I'll be over there this weekend, and I'll check with the manager of my regular store. EDIT - I'm wondering about the bottle count I was told, though. 

Thanks Harry. Bottle count seems high (10) since I wouldn’t expect VA to get that many given the very limited release. 

The VA ABC stores I talk to have not gotten this yet. Did some stores get this yesterday? It seems that the website is basically useless at this point, which is frustrating.

2 hours ago, Jazz June said:

The VA ABC stores I talk to have not gotten this yet. Did some stores get this yesterday? It seems that the website is basically useless at this point, which is frustrating.

The website is unreliable and usually has a few days lag (at least recently).  I don't think this has been distributed yet, but that's really just a guess on my part.

• 1 month later...

BUMP.  Went to the ASB Distillery yesterday while in F'burg for other reasons.  Picked up an IB port finish to drink and a JJB (the 100 proofer) for just in case.  I was told Virginia ABC likely will hold a lottery for the 100 or so bottles of the Sweet XVI (product # 027484); the distillery hasn't heard when that will be

Also, they had six or so used barrels for sale at, I think, $160 each.  I didn't go look closely because, like looking at kittens or puppies in PetSmart, getting to close means one or more might come home with me.

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

BUMP.  Went to the ASB Distillery yesterday while in F'burg for other reasons.  Picked up an IB port finish to drink and a JJB (the 100 proofer) for just in case.  I was told Virginia ABC likely will hold a lottery for the 100 or so bottles of the Sweet XVI (product # 027484); the distillery hasn't heard when that will be

Also, they had six or so used barrels for sale at, I think, $160 each.  I didn't go look closely because, like looking at kittens or puppies in PetSmart, getting to close means one or more might come home with me.

Seeing as VA ABC has only had one lottery for something that came out this year and other items that were previously lottery (or even waiting list) have just been going out to stores, I'm dubious as to the lottery claim. This one at least has an entry on their website, unlike say Old Fitz 11, but it seems things go on the shelf days before inventory hits the website. Which for something like this is going to be too late.

Edited by Jazz June
VW lotteries were this year, but for 2017 release.
  • I like it 1

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks for the update Harry. I’m surprised the bottle count is so low. My rough estimate given the release sheet would have been in the neighborhood of 1,500 or so bottles and I think they only distributed 400-500 on release day. I would have thought Virginia ABC would have received a bigger allocation of the remaining. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.