BOTM 5/18: Early Times Bottled In Bond

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We're back! :D

I was finally able to grab a couple of bottles of this, so this time around I have some notes.

The legs are medium, to slightly thick and take their time coming down the glass. The nose is a bit odd, but nothing off putting. I can pick up a bunch of things. At first smell there's a caramel, vanilla nuttiness. Another whiff brings to mind corn, cereal and a vegetal smell. A hint of spice is also there at times. A nice mixed bag to say the least. The taste somewhat follows the nose. The first time I had this, there was a light, sweet caramel nuttiness, along with a hint of vanilla. The next time I had a pour, it tasted a bit different. A corny/popcorn flavor was present, along with a slightly burnt buttered toast flavor. Sorry, but that's the best way I can describe it. To me, this is a "chameleon"  bourbon. It seems a little bit different every time I have a pour. Not bad at all mind you, just different. One thing that does seem consistent is the finish. It warms nicely, and lasts a medium amount of time. It beckons for another taste. I like ET BIB well enough, but I'm not sure if I'll buy another bottle or not. This has nothing to do at all with either the flavor or cost. I have one open, and one in the bunker. I've also bought way too many bottles over the last couple of months or so. (And, I received a phone call today.) :unsure: IMHO, at around $22.00 or so for a liter, this one is definitely worth a shot. 

Cheers and happy posting!

Joe

• I like it 1

A day early too! I haven’t opened the bottle I picked up in Bardstown yet, bet the small pour that I had in the gazebo at the GN tasted good enough to convince me to buy my own bottle for further exploration. 

• I like it 2

Fun fact: Early Times BIB was the bourbon used in the bourbon baked beans at the cookout this year.

I haven't spent much time with it yet, but initial impressions are good.  I just compared it with what we used to call OF Sig; perhaps not surprisingly, I think they're fairly similar, but not the same.  See what you think!

• I like it 2

Was able to pick up a bottle of this during Sampler Week as well. I'll echo Pete's assessment and say that my first couple of pours have been good so far. It's solid and, for the price, very good stuff. Even if price weren't a consideration, I'd pick this over the Whiskey Row Series OF BIB and would grab another if I had the opportunity.

• I like it 1

I like ET BIB

For my sniffer, and my taste buddies, it's a winner. 

It has the somewhat familiar aromatic that I pick up from most BF offerings (not Woodford, though... I think they pot-still it away).    I describe it as "shellac", I think others call it acetone.     I don't find it off-putting, and don't find it dominates this brand... only note it's presence. 

I've said before, I think this is one of the best reasonably priced new entries in the market in the last several years.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

I like ET BIB

For my sniffer, and my taste buddies, it's a winner. 

It has the somewhat familiar aromatic that I pick up from most BF offerings (not Woodford, though... I think they pot-still it away).    I describe it as "shellac", I think others call it acetone.     I don't find it off-putting, and don't find it dominates this brand... only note it's presence. 

I've said before, I think this is one of the best reasonably priced new entries in the market in the last several years.

Still looking for this in Wash DC and environs but haven't seen it.  You guys are making my mouth water.:ph34r:

• I like it 1

It's a unusual pour, as Joe noted.  I find it exceedingly sweet, with a very pronounced chocolate note.  It's worth having around, but will never be a go to bottle, for me...

I think this is a very good addition to lower priced bottled in bonds. I get more oak from this. It doesn't beat VOB, but I like it more than some others. I will buy this again if I can find it. I think I got 3 or 4 of these on my last Kentucky trip and have only drank one. 

• I like it 1

Nothing beats VOB! But I do really enjoy ET BiB as a mixer and for sipping. I think B-F finally got it right with this mashbill. Now what I would really love to taste is this stuff at 10-12 y/o.

• I like it 4

I think this was my favorite new product last year.  I can't think of another BIB product (not including Henry McK 10yr) that I like more than this.  It is definitely on the sweet side - I get loads of brown sugar and vanilla with a bit of cinnamon.  It hits me squarely as "bourbon".  Maybe I like it so much because I had low expectations going in (after the ET 354, which was really disappointing).  Honestly, if this was readily available in GA and I didn't suffer from too much whiskey, this would be one of my go to pours.  I can't think of anything else in the $25 or less category that I prefer (not to mention the extra 250 mL thrown in for good measure!)  It isn't a complicated, sit back and ponder kinda pour - and I'd love if it had a bit more rye zip to it - but I think it pushes the sweet envelope without being sickeningly sweet.  This is one of those bottles I'm now picking one up on every trip to the motherland.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was down in KY and find a couple of these at $21 each.  Classic bourbon flavor with some nice cinnamon flavor to it.  Very nice for a cheap price.  I wish this was a permanent bottle.  I like it quite a bit!

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Per Joe's suggestion that it was worth a shot, I bought two in Lexington because I didn't know when I might see it again. Half way into the first liter, I agree that it is not at all bad for the price. Still, like Josh, I think that VOB, even the NAS version, still excels and, among the newer releases, JB Distillers Cut also surpasses.

Edited by Flyfish
  • I like it 1

On 5/15/2018 at 3:24 AM, GaryT said:

I think this was my favorite new product last year.  

One of my favorites last year, as well.  Pretty much covers all the right bases from value to flavor.  Just needs more availability.  

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

One of my favorites last year, as well.  Pretty much covers all the right bases from value to flavor.  Just needs more availability.  

Couldn't agree more!  Feels like this would be a huge hit for that brand; not sure if supply is the availability issue?  I mean - that ET 354 seemed to be everywhere (but with a reaction that was close to the opposite lol)

• I like it 1

IT tastes pretty good for a 4yr bourbon. I agree with some the comments about tasting this mash at 10-12 years.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, TheRookie said:

IT tastes pretty good for a 4yr bourbon. I agree with some the comments about tasting this mash at 10-12 years.

Seek out a bottle (or at least a pour) of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, TheRookie said:

AGreed. OFBB is something special yet it's a different mash recipe than ET. 

Enough in common, I believe, to get the point across, IMHO. 

I agree with you that ETBIB would make a stellar offering at 10-years, or so... if it was VERY carefully aged that long.   

I suspect it would get a bit out of balance if it was sitting in a high rick for 10-years, and high-rick-aged is how it strikes my taste buddies.   I don't know that to be the case; but it seems likely to me.

• I like it 1

On 7/6/2018 at 8:46 PM, Richnimrod said:

Enough in common, I believe, to get the point across, IMHO. 

I agree with you that ETBIB would make a stellar offering at 10-years, or so... if it was VERY carefully aged that long.   

I suspect it would get a bit out of balance if it was sitting in a high rick for 10-years, and high-rick-aged is how it strikes my taste buddies.   I don't know that to be the case; but it seems likely to me.

I agree, tho I'm also wondering about BF's heat cycled rickhouses, if that had any effect on the final

outcome. Definitely drinks a lot smoother than many 4yr-ish BiB offerings. To me, it doesn't have that youthful funk. Same way with Old Fitz BiB

Edited by TheRookie
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 6:09 AM, TheRookie said:

.......I'm also wondering about BF's heat cycled rickhouses, if that had any effect on the final

outcome. 

Yes.

• I like it 1

I might be the oddball, but ET BIB tastes like a younger version of OF 1920 to me. I get similar notes of chocolate and cherry.

• I like it 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/1/2018 at 10:30 PM, TheNovaMan said:

Fun fact: Early Times BIB was the bourbon used in the bourbon baked beans at the cookout this year.

I haven't spent much time with it yet, but initial impressions are good.  I just compared it with what we used to call OF Sig; perhaps not surprisingly, I think they're fairly similar, but not the same.  See what you think!

I have to say this is so far my favorite bourbon.  I did a side by side with it and Old Forester 100 Sig and to me, it seems way smoother and less hot. 

On 5/2/2018 at 9:21 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Still looking for this in Wash DC and environs but haven't seen it.  You guys are making my mouth water.:ph34r:

We are staying in a cabin close to Pickwick in TN and I drove all the way to Murray KY to pick up several of these.  Ii was not disappointed.

• I like it 1

On 5/4/2018 at 8:01 PM, cdcdguy said:

I think this is a very good addition to lower priced bottled in bonds. I get more oak from this. It doesn't beat VOB, but I like it more than some others. I will buy this again if I can find it. I think I got 3 or 4 of these on my last Kentucky trip and have only drank one. 

cdcdguy, are you talking about the VOB BIB?  I have not tried it yest but bought a couple of bottles cheap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.