Sherry vs Oak

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Call me a traditionalist but I have found that I prefer the traditional oak aging process over the use of sherry casks.  In fact, I prefer a number 4 char over the lighter chars as I tend to like the caramel and vanilla notes.  But since a lot of whiskeys, particularly Scotch Whiskeys, are aged in spent sherry casks, I wonder if I am missing something.  I wanted to get some insight from those that have learned to enjoy both.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Call me a traditionalist but I have found that I prefer the traditional oak aging process over the use of sherry casks.  In fact, I prefer a number 4 char over the lighter chars as I tend to like the caramel and vanilla notes.  But since a lot of whiskeys, particularly Scotch Whiskeys, are aged in spent sherry casks, I wonder if I am missing something.  I wanted to get some insight from those that have learned to enjoy both.

My insight is anecdotal, BUT . . .

About the time Angel's Envy was purchased, SB featured a spate of threads discussing the pros and cons of "finished" bourbons.  The most common complaint/comment/observation was about the effect that the additional "flavor" had on the relative sweetness of the underlying American whiskey - most of the "No, thanks," group didn't like the added sweetness.  I've had a few awful ones, but a couple - Jos. A. Magnus, A.Smith Bowman's Isaac Bowman Port Finished (Saz/BT subsidiary), and some of Dave Pickerell's offerings - really do satisfy me.  And while I don't care for the peatier Scotches, I do like some of the lighter blends.  Am I, too, missing something by being fussy?  Yup.   Do I care?  Nope.  Do I sometimes order up a really peaty Scotch just to see if I still don't like it?  Yup.  Do I now have a few Scotches sitting in amongst my bourbons which for years only included my wife's Lagavulin 16 and a half-full Dewer's for guests?  Yup.

17 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

It definitely depends on the whiskey to me and familiarity is an important thing to consider. For example I have yet to have a Malt Whiskey aged in Virgin Oak that blows me away, there are some I can appreciate as an occasional pour, but is that because of what I expect a Malt whiskey to taste like or because Malt and Used Oak marry together better? I tend to like Sherry aged and finished whiskies but generally enjoy Port and Sauternes more when it comes to sweet wine finishes.  The only really great sherry finished American Whiskey I have had that I can think of at the moment was the 1776 PX Rye, some others I liked fine (Belle Meade, Minor Case, probably others I can't think of) but I've yet to have a Sherried American Malt whiskey that tasted like anything better than underaged Scotch to me. 

Maybe it was my experience.  I was given a bottle of Wayne Gretzky’s whiskey (old 99) that is finished in sherry casks and did not care for it.  I have had a scotch tasting a few years back where we were given two samples of the same scotch with one finished in Bourbon barrels and the other in sherry casks.  I much preferred the one finished in bourbon barrels.

However, I have heard good things about Belle Meade so I will pick up a bottle and give it a try.  I will let you know how it goes.  Always willing to have my mind changed.

12 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Maybe it was my experience.  I was given a bottle of Wayne Gretzky’s whiskey (old 99) that is finished in sherry casks and did not care for it.  I have had a scotch tasting a few years back where we were given two samples of the same scotch with one finished in Bourbon barrels and the other in sherry casks.  I much preferred the one finished in bourbon barrels.

However, I have heard good things about Belle Meade so I will pick up a bottle and give it a try.  I will let you know how it goes.  Always willing to have my mind changed.

Well depending on your appreciation of Scotch you could always go to a bar and try a few sherry aged scotches Macallan 12, Aberlour 12 and  Glenmorangie Lasanta are good widely available options, those Glenmorangie mini samplers are a good way to try a few different finishes for some "comparative research" 

• I like it 1

As a scientist, more research is always needed.  Otherwise it would just be called search.  ????

Thanks for the recommendations. I will give them a try.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.