Smooth Ambler Big Level

briankeith513
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Total Wines in the Atlanta area had them today, $49.99 each.  Sweet, biscuit smelling nose.  Very sweet, smooth taste,  I like it.

Nice. Thanks for the feed back. I’m definitely up for trying one. 

I’ll say I have not been impressed with any of SA’s own distillate so far, but intrigued by nothing more than the “reasonable” price on this.  

I’ll say I have not been impressed with any of SA’s own distillate so far, but intrigued by nothing more than the “reasonable” price on this.  

It’s not going to appeal to everyone, as it’s almost too sweet, a dessert bourbon. I like it, but I actually can’t drink too much of it at a time because of the sweetness.

4 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

It’s not going to appeal to everyone, as it’s almost too sweet, a dessert bourbon. I like it, but I actually can’t drink too much of it at a time because of the sweetness.

Consider blending it into a bourbon you find too bitter.

• I like it 1

First I saw the 100 proof and thought "holy BIB!", then noticed no such designation on the bottle and let a sigh of disappointment, then opened the website and saw 5+yo. I'll give this a try for sure.

I've appreciated their transparency about sourced stuff, so I'll grab a bottle of this since they've earned some goodwill from me.

I'll probably buy one, if and when it shows up in my area. A 5 yr, 100proof wheater is worth taking a chance on IMHO.

Biba! Joe

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'll probably buy one.........

As if any of us had any doubts!

• I like it 1

I'll probably buy one, if and when it shows up in my area. A 5 yr, 100proof wheater is worth taking a chance on IMHO.

Biba! Joe

Same here. SA has built a fair amount of cred over the years and $50’is my personal curiosity threshold.
  • I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Three quarks said:

Wonder why they ditched the black label that was out briefly?

I was told at the distillery, they are slowly changing their image away from the horse theme.

Really wanna try this.  Apparently its being held back for allocated lottery locally.  Found it at an online retailer...for $165!!

47 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Really wanna try this.  Apparently its being held back for allocated lottery locally.  Found it at an online retailer...for $165!!

Fairly sure I know where you saw that, that store is laughable.

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

Fairly sure I know where you saw that, that store is laughable.

Guess I shouldn't WINE about it. ????

• I like it 1

I opened mine last night, but will try one more night before reviewing. It definitely isn't in the Weller class for refinement...

4 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I opened mine last night, but will try one more night before reviewing. It definitely isn't in the Weller class for refinement...

Had a replay pour to make sure... This is by no means an expert palate review, but it's the only one I have. My first taste of the Wellers (12yr & Antique) was very recent; so I am comparing with those. It isn't nearly in that class in my opinion.

Nose caramel & nail polish remover.

First taste; toffee, biscuit, yeast or could be the barley and more oak than I would expect in a 5 year wheater. Not a lot of burn but some spice on the backend. Viscosity is fairly thin.

The flavors seem to be convoluted & not mesh to a refined boubon.

A splash of water didn't seen to open anything up, but it did get rid of the yeast flavor & squelch some of the nail polish.

My overall opinion: It is serviceable, but I will not buy again unless they go to a 7 year version. It doesn't drink like a very young bourbon, but it doesn't seem mature enough for a wheater either. If my review seems confusing, it's only because I am...

Thanks for the review. I’ve reached the point where I think weller’s distinctive taste (and van winkle for that matter) is more about buffalo trace than the fact that there is wheat in the mashbill. I can find much more in similarities with Weller and VW with the milder BT expressions like ER10 and Blantons than with other wheated whiskey like larceny, rebel yell or maker’s. Id be interested in an updated review if you tasted it with those other distilleries in mind. 

• I like it 2

Indeed, Maker’s cask strength did give me that nail polish taste you mentioned. 

Many of the wheaters I've tried, especially ones with some age on them, seem to have a musty, mushroomy flavor.   Does this have any?

58 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

Many of the wheaters I've tried, especially ones with some age on them, seem to have a musty, mushroomy flavor.   Does this have any?

Nope, no must or 'shrooms on my first dram of SA Big Level.  Sweetness, but not overly cloying on both the nose and the palate. Medium to longish finish, but no caramel or chocolate or nuthin' else.  Just nicely sweet.  Giving it some time after opening and will try another sip before going dancing with SWMBO tonite.  Then will try a last sip before bed, leaving bottle open, too.  Alas, not a "Sarah bottle", but "Ashton" seems to have done a nice job with Batch No. 9 in her stead.  $54.99 OTD at the local TW.  The jury is still out . . . . . . . 

• I like it 1

I will buy this not because of SA has built up credibility with me, if anything my appreciation of Old Scout products increases my appreciation for MGP.  The truth is I will buy this because curiosity gets the better of me, I will buy the first bottle I see open it and be indifferent about it. It will sit on a shelf for well over a year while I occasionally pour it into a glass that previously held something both cheaper and better, and I probably won't replace it. Prediction, hoping I'm wrong, but doubt I am. 

23 hours ago, bayouredd said:

Had a replay pour to make sure... This is by no means an expert palate review, but it's the only one I have. My first taste of the Wellers (12yr & Antique) was very recent; so I am comparing with those. It isn't nearly in that class in my opinion.

First taste; toffee, biscuit, yeast or could be the barley and more oak than I would expect in a 5 year wheater. Not a lot of burn but some spice on the backend. Viscosity is fairly thin.

A splash of water didn't seen to open anything up, but it did get rid of the yeast flavor & squelch some of the nail polish.

My overall opinion: It is serviceable, but I will not buy again unless they go to a 7 year version. It doesn't drink like a very young bourbon, but it doesn't seem mature enough for a wheater either. If my review seems confusing, it's only because I am...

Opened mine up last night. Posted a review over in the "what are you enjoying" thread. I got a much different experience than you although I did get a bit different opinion after letting it sit a bit and going back to it. I definitely got the caramel nose and the "biscuit" thing that to me was more like a sweet bread or cookies. I think I mentioned shortbread cookies. I didnt get much in the way of spice on the finish until the second go where there were some warm baking spices at the end. The one thing I couldn't put my finger on popped up when I read their website description....pecan pie. But it was a bit bitter like when you get some pecans that are little bit old tasting.  The thing I liked the best was the mouth coating wheater viscosity which you reviewed as thin. To me this is one of the thicker feeling bourbons I've had in a while. Much thicker feeling than Wellers. I also didnt get a whiff at all of acetone. I get that in Larceny so badly I cant drink the stuff and a tad bit in MM.  Palates and noses are interesting things.

• I like it 4

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, Clueby said:

Opened mine up last night. Posted a review over in the "what are you enjoying" thread. I got a much different experience than you although I did get a bit different opinion after letting it sit a bit and going back to it. I definitely got the caramel nose and the "biscuit" thing that to me was more like a sweet bread or cookies. I think I mentioned shortbread cookies. I didnt get much in the way of spice on the finish until the second go where there were some warm baking spices at the end. The one thing I couldn't put my finger on popped up when I read their website description....pecan pie. But it was a bit bitter like when you get some pecans that are little bit old tasting.  The thing I liked the best was the mouth coating wheater viscosity which you reviewed as thin. To me this is one of the thicker feeling bourbons I've had in a while. Much thicker feeling than Wellers. I also didnt get a whiff at all of acetone. I get that in Larceny so badly I cant drink the stuff and a tad bit in MM.  Palates and noses are interesting things.

Actually, I didn't think your review was that much different than mine. I was a bit confused & thought your review kind of gave me more of an explanation of what I couldn't place. The viscosity might have been the most different part as well as the acetone which was very prevalent. Mine was batch 5. I wonder how much difference that made! I think I will revisit directly after reading your review again. Note that I am a rookie at this and this one has been the most difficult for me to break down. It definitely has been the most unique taste in bourbon for me, so far...

Edited by bayouredd

On 5/23/2018 at 9:14 PM, bayouredd said:

On 5/24/2018 at 3:08 PM, Charlutz said:

Thanks for the review. I’ve reached the point where I think weller’s distinctive taste (and van winkle for that matter) is more about buffalo trace than the fact that there is wheat in the mashbill. I can find much more in similarities with Weller and VW with the milder BT expressions like ER10 and Blantons than with other wheated whiskey like larceny, rebel yell or maker’s. Id be interested in an updated review if you tasted it with those other distilleries in mind. 

With your two knack for taste notes, you would be naturals to join in the VBT games.  New round starting tonight by Mako.  #621.  It's a hoot at times and good guys playing.  Maybe give it a try ?  or even follow along.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.