VWFRR -- All Gone?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye seems to have disappeared here in Chicago. At least I didn't see any on my most recent visits to Sam's and Binny's. Is it still available elsewhere?

Well, it's not the same, but I do like this Rittenhouse Bonded Rye. Guess it'll have to do.

Please, oh PLEASE tell me this is a temporary thing!! I only have two bottles in the bunker!

Maybe we can get an official word from Julian!?

This is purely speculation and my opinion but this may just be something as simple as supply not being able to keep up with demand. It did happen with the Pappy 20 towards the end of last year. Also, when they ceased production of the 12 year Old RIp Van Winkle Rye they removed it from their product line on Julian's website. The VWFRR is still listed. Plus it earning such good reviews and rating by many makes it a valuable product in his lineup. Still, I would feel more comfortable hearing what's up from Julian himself. lol.gif So Julian, what's the deal?

One other thought I just had... Doubtful but; Could Buffalo Trace have persuaded him to stop producing it hoping more sales would go to Sazerac?

It hasn't been on the shelf in Columbia, SC since about last fall. Nor has the 15 year ORVW. The only flavor I can currently find is the 12 year, and that was scarce for a while. But Buffalo Trace has appeared in the within the last few weeks.

Craig

How will the soon-to-come bottling be distributed? Will any make its way to PA?

SpeedyJohn

The future of our 13-year rye whiskey has been uncertain until now.

We have just tanked a 13 year supply of the rye. The whiskey was getting old so we decided to tank it. It took awhile to taste each barrel before we tanked the whiskey, but it is finally done now. That's the good news. The bad news is that it will be in very short supply. We only have about 290 cases to sell per year. We plan to bottle next week, so it should reappear on the shelves within a month. We are producing new whiskey now at BT for this brand. smile.giffrown.gif

Julian

Julian,

Do I infer correctly that at age 60 years I have to make it to age 73 to taste the BT version?

Yours truly,

Dave "Should Have Bunkered More VWFRR and Less Hirsch 16" Morefield

Dave:

I'm afraid so!

I just tasted the new VWFR rye, and it is very nice. Very smooth and sweeter than the prvious rye but still spicy.

Julian

yum.gif I can't wait...but I guess I have no choice, huh? Got to be patient which ain't never been one of my strong points. lol.gif Believe me, I've already got a waiting list at the store for the next batch.

I haven't been able to find the 12-year VW Old Time Rye for a few months. Will it be available going forward?

schlep

Well, I just picked up an "E" Frankfurt bottle today.Still have a

"D" bottle from Lawrenceburg. Currently enjoying a "D"

bottling from Frankfurt. I thought all Frankfurt bottlings had the "E" designation.Did we ever determine where these whiskies were distilled?

The Twelve Year is gone. Doubtfull if a forgotten bottle might show up. I may have a touch of 12 in a bit. I missed about 6 of them while laying in something else. I did get a couple though. toast.gif

The 12 year was removed from the lineup some time ago... There may be a few bottles still out there but probably at small mom and pop stores... I dout they'll add it again to the range but who knows what the future can hold...

As I write this, the folks at Buffalo Trace are bottling Series "F" of the VWFRR 13yo. I hope some of it's earmarked for PA.

SpeedyJohn

Yep, that's it sitting on the bottling line on the BT web cam. But it's ten til noon there and nobody's on the line? When do they take lunch? And don't they know we are all waiting for the product? Oh, the withdrawal pains suffered........

Interesting that you have a 'D' bottling from Lawrenceburg. I, too, have a 'D' bottle on the shelf from Frankfort, but wouldn't have guessed it was bottled at two places. I grabbed a couple of 'E' Frankfort bottles last night. I still see a few here and there -- but, they never were everywhere to begin with.

With apologies to Charles Dickens.

The evening arrived; the boys took their places. The master, in his blazer and slacks, stationed himself at the copper; his pauper assistants ranged themselves behind him; the rye was served out; and a long grace was said over the short commons. The rye disappeared; the boys whispered to each other, and winked at Oliver; while his next neighbours nudged him. Child as he was, he was desperate with thirst, and reckless with misery. He rose from the table; and advancing to the master, snifter in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:

"Please, sir, I want some more."

The master was a trim, handsome man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupefied astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.

"What!" said the master at length, in a faint voice.

"Please, sir," replied Oliver, "I want some more."

(Oh, when will the waiting end.)

Just got back from a trip to my local retailer looking for the EWSB '94 and it was in. Grabbed one and may try this weekend. Looked down near the bottom shelf and there were the rye whiskeys together....normally they're shelfed near each distiller's other products. Anyway, there were two rows full of the VWFRR "D" bottling from Frankfort. Grabbed two for the bunker @$28. Missing were any ORVW 10/107's or Pappy 20's.

Randy B.

Just did a doublecheck and yes, the "D" bottles I have are

from both Frankfort and Lawrenceburg.

All of mine say "Frankfort." Beyond collectibility, is there any reason the Lawrenceburg ones should be sought after? (Ie. is it the same whiskey?)

is there any reason the Lawrenceburg ones should be sought after?

I hope not! All of Julians whiskies are desirable to have. To my mind all he did was move his operation to Buffalo Trace and they are bottling for him, so basically the only difference will be on the label saying "Frankfort" or " Lawrenceburg." It would not , however surprize me if years from now a cult following of Lawrenceburg VanWinkles develop. That would be beyond a bourbon snob group.

Stock up fast!

I think that is cutting it too fine.

I think if faced with a Lawrenceburg or Frankfort bottling of the same expression, the collector in me would grab the Lawrenceburg. That said if Frankfort is what they have, then that is fine too.

Of late I have just lurked and not posted much if at all , today a good friend gave me a bottle of VWFRR 13yr as a thank you ....this should be good as I have not try'd rye yet and look forward to the experiance ...

Bill G,

"We may not be rich but we can always aford good Bourbon... " drink.gif

...this should be good as I have not try'd rye yet and look forward to the experiance ...

You're in for a definite treat! And you started with what I consider to be the best!

Enjoy!

toast.gif

Very interesting ,,, I have try'd VWFRR , and true rye for the first time I can say right off that this will need more tasting .. One thing for sure this is not Bourbon which in itself is not a bad thing it's hints at bourbon but I find that it is missing something ,,, the Corn Mash. The parts that are left are very very good abit thinner in body , a sweet start followed by a warm spice ..all in all very enjoyable.

Bill G.

drink.gif

All 13-year VWFR Rye bottles with a letter other than an "F" number on the label will be the same whiskey, whether it was bottled in Frankfort or Lawrenceburg.

Any "F" label will be a little different rye from the past, and it is great! These bottles should start hitting the stores soon as we bottled 3 weeks ago.

Julian

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.