VWFRR -- All Gone?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw some 'F' bottles on the shelf last week while in Kentucky (Bowling Green, specifically). First mention I'd seen of it. Thanks, Julian, for the info. I'll try one next time I see it. (I've already got several 'D' and 'E' bottles 'gestating'.)

I just tasted some of this rye in Julian's office. I have to say that it is indeed an excelent rye. It is sweet on the mouth with a nice dry finish with just the right amount of wood.

Mike Veach

Mike, would this be the rye that I believe Julian said earlier on these boards was now 17 years old albeit the label still describes as 13 years old?

That rye is the one I understood was tanked and that will be rationed over the next few years.

Bottles I bought last year seemed to fit the bill of 17 year old stock, but I am unclear on the new release which Julian has said is a little different but still very good. Anyway that must be the one he said was tanked.

So, is the newbie likely all rye whiskey made at Glenmore/Medley, as the previous one was, but just more matured than the latter? Is that what makes it different? If not, what would it make it different from the previous one?

Chuck or Marvin, please jump in if more info is available from your perspectives, and, thanks all.

Gary

Gary,

I believe Julian tanked all the remaining barrels that fit the taste profile. This is to be distributed over a thirteen year period. Hopefully some finds its way into Maryland. Some of my retail outlets say they haven't received any Van Winkle products since BT took over distribution. I have been stocking up on any VW that I see on the shelves. Even picked up a Hirsch Select Rye since it's from the same rye stock.

Thanks, and I too will purchase ORVW rye (any iteration) when I see it. This is not too often since Julian's rye has not appeared in Ontario to date. Some of his other products have, and I always pick them up. I always wondered whether the Ontario Liquor Control Board might be disinclined to approve a foreign rye whiskey for sale here. Canada is known internationally for, and consequently proud of, its rye whisky. Does the LCBO want to put the focus on foreign rye, small a category as it is...? Yet, Julian's rye is authentic rye - straight whiskey under U.S. definition. Canadian ryes, even if made from rye grain, are usually blended and are mostly high-proof spirits. The distinction may not be fully understood by the LCBO.. In any case, I think all products that can legally be sold as rye in Canada or the U.S. should be made available here, the more the better. Choice tends to expand interest in the category as a whole.

I hope the LCBO will see that Julian's rye deserves a place on its shelves - assuming there is enough to go around, that is. After all, it is a most authentic representation of the rye whiskey style. We need to see the "Pappy" of rye whiskey here and who knows, maybe its appearance would encourage Canadian whisky distillers to offer in their range a genuine (historical) rye whisky. I am not knocking the best of the Canadian ryes, I enjoy some of them. But I'd like to see on Canadian retail shelves the "flavouring whisky" I read about in consumer whisky books. I believe it to be the same thing essentially as U.S. straight rye whiskey. To date, Lot 40 has been released, a pot distillate to boot. I understand it is one of the flavouring whiskies made by Hiram Walker to stiffen its rye blends. Yet Lot 40 is hard to find today, it may in fact have been delisted by the LCBO. Distillers should not be discouraged by what I assume were its tepid sales. They should release other flavouring whiskies especially, I suggest, ones aged in new charred barrels (Lot 40 was not, I believe). There may (must?) be a range of these in our distilleries: some aged in new charred wood, some not, some mingled, some not, malted vs. unmalted versions, 100% rye vs. mixed mash versions, different ages, etc. Canadian distillers are not the least reticent of the world fraternity of whisky makers, and it would be nice to know why the flavouring whiskies are not sold uncut in Canada today.

Anyway, a long digression. I commend Julian for his resolve to find and sell the genuine article.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Bobby.....I just got back from a run to my favorite liquor store and guess what I saw. ORVW Old Time Rye, and lots of it on the shelf. Grabbed two as I've never seen it or tasted it before. The bottling is from the "A" series in Lawrenceburg. Where could these things have been sitting around? The store is large with high turnover of stock...this had just been put out, and at $19 I had to give it a try. Anyway...there is some of it out there somewhere.

Randy

At $19 you found a great buy. I'd buy them all up, that is if there is not a crazy amount like 12 on the shelves. I am sure people would be interested in buying or trading a bottle or two, I know I'd be since it is near impossible to find anymore. Good find Randy! toast.gif

Ditto. The ORVW Old Time is a very fine rye, well done, Randy.

Gary

It does no disservice to this rye to say it makes a major Manhattan cocktail. I never had one made with any other whiskey as good - and for maximum effect, it needs to be taken straight up.

Gary

I'll call tomorrow and buy everything they have. I'll post how many I get and we can start trading. What I don't understand is how the largest store in Texas ends up with a case of such an old bottling long out of production

Randy

Unless I'm mistaken, the ORVW rye is the same whiskey as the VWFR rye, albiet a little younger. You should be able to sell or trade those no problem.

How does it happen? It may have disappeared in a corner of one of their storerooms, or similarly in a storeroom at the distributor. They obviously didn't know it's something rare and in demand or they would have jacked up the price.

That's probably it. In our area right now, it's Hirsch 16yo -- but not the newest, rather the older dipped, wax tops, bottled in Lawrenceburg. The distributor 'found' several cases it didn't know it had (or, at least, didn't know WHAT it had) and has finally placed them in some of the higher-traffic stores. I scratched and clawed (and drove to Covington, KYbanghead.gif) to get my first few bottles. Now, I know where there are several cases' worth (albeit at $65-$70 a bottle).

Yeah, cases of stuff get 'misplaced' often... That's what happened when a place in NJ came across nearly 20 bottles of Wild Turkey 12 year old from the early 90's. And best of all, they sold it in the mid to high $20's! Same thing with a store near me that had their distributor come across several cases of JD 1895 replica bottles form the 90's... They were selling them for around $35 and at the time, they were selling for $85 on eBay. Not a bad payday to buy some cases and sell em' individually on eBay.

Please buy all you can get. I will be at the festival, General Nelson, and will bring many tradeable items. Of course I will bring cash also. wink.gif

Excellent find , Randy. To tell the truth I prefer the 12 year Old Time Rye to the Family Reserve.

I guess I'll have to cut you a Bourbo-Bunker pass, What do you want? lol.gif

Bobby......Thanks for the "pass". I'm playing golf this am and then going by the store to buy up the rest of their stock of Old Time Rye. I'll post how many I find and pm everyone who wanted one. I've got a lot to bring to the Festival! smile.gif

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this post makes me very envious....

Here in Australia, I've only managed to find 2 bottles of any Van Winkle product for sale - a Family Reserve Rye for AU $90 and a Family Reserve 20yo for AU $400

The Family Reserve is out due to cost, but I'm very keen to try the Rye.

They're both located interstate (some 2000 miles away) so shipping costs need to be added as well...and the retailer doesn't seem to enthusiastic to help out banghead.gif

I just took a gander at the Buffalo Trace distillery cam (Blanton's Bottling Warehouse) and noticed that they're bottling some right this very moment. I have no idea where it is going to be shipped, but at least we know there's more on the way. laugh.gif

I would be interested to know if anyone who has tried a recent bottling has noticed how much different it is from the earlier bottlings. I believe that, although it still says 13 years on the label, what is coming out now is more like 17 years old. You can really tell. At first I wasn't even sure I liked it. I have warmed up to it since then, but I would buy some of the true 13-year-old if I could find it. Julian was absolutely right to get this stuff out of wood when he did. More aging was not going to improve it.

I agree, the current ORVW 13 year old seems different than a few years ago. Also, even amongst the F bottlings (I've tried 3 now) there are seemingly variations, relatively subtle, but there nonetheless. My no. 747 was softer and less intense than the later-numbered ones. I think it was a good idea to tank it because in my opinion more aging would not help the palate. It is fine now (albeit somewhat different to three years ago or so) but if it can be "held" as it now is that would be best. I find the current one makes a superlative Manhattan or rocks drink. The one of a few years ago was ditto but also drank well neat or with slight addition of water. Even though Rock Hill Farms is bourbon its 16 year old reminds me of the ORVW rye, both have a richness and barrel character I find appealing.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

I found some of the new VWFRR F series bottling in Denver; picked one up for only $19.

• 1 year later...

The future of our 13-year rye whiskey has been uncertain until now.

We have just tanked a 13 year supply of the rye. The whiskey was getting old so we decided to tank it. It took awhile to taste each barrel before we tanked the whiskey, but it is finally done now. That's the good news. The bad news is that it will be in very short supply. We only have about 290 cases to sell per year. We plan to bottle next week, so it should reappear on the shelves within a month. We are producing new whiskey now at BT for this brand.

Julian

I was in a liquor store in Louisville(okay, many) but in one of them I overheard the proprietors talking to another customer saying that the VW rye they had was the last that they'd get for 3 years. I just want to check that this plan still holds or do I need to go buy a 3 year supply?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.