Ben Milam Single Barrel Bourbon

BourbonGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One quick google search reveals something that you can learn as quickly but looking at their about us page, that this company is going to be hitting the marketing hard. There seems to be a lack of clarity here that rubs me the wrong way. I also love the staged photos on their site some of which contain what are clearly empty barrels.

8 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

One quick google search reveals something that you can learn as quickly but looking at their about us page, that this company is going to be hitting the marketing hard. There seems to be a lack of clarity here that rubs me the wrong way. I also love the staged photos on their site some of which contain what are clearly empty barrels.

I did the same, and came away with the same assessment.  The whiskey, the bottler, the story, pretty much everything about it is just total new nonsense.  Ben Milam should be the poster child of why these dumbass Spirits competitions are a total sham.  The San Francisco World Spirits Comp gets press and attempts at some smidge of respectability because a few participating bloggers pimp the crap out of it, to try and create faux legitimacy for the event and themselves.  Total BS.  

• I like it 1

I think the saddest thing about a brand that doesn't advertise the fact that they are sourcing is that 1. Peoples opinions have softened on NDP's for the most part 2. People wan't that Indiana bourbon and Rye 3. The bad press when there is a story "exposing them" is probably worse than whatever value they get out of their contrived story.  The marketing lady that runs the show there looks to have the same name as the namesake but I'm not sure what that has to do with bourbon and rye....

1 minute ago, kevinbrink said:

I think the saddest thing about a brand that doesn't advertise the fact that they are sourcing is that 1. Peoples opinions have softened on NDP's for the most part 2. People wan't that Indiana bourbon and Rye 3. The bad press when there is a story "exposing them" is probably worse than whatever value they get out of their contrived story.  The marketing lady that runs the show there looks to have the same name as the namesake but I'm not sure what that has to do with bourbon and rye....

Indeed.  From her bio, it shows an (I guess???) ...what...maybe...impressive?...“first cousin six times removed”!!!????.  Well, dayum, by that measure I’d wager the majority of the readers of this board are too...Heck, I may be my own first cousin six times removed!!!  

After having her genealogy traced, she was delighted to discover that she and Ben Milam were in fact first cousin six-times removed. Ben Milam was a hero and martyr of Texas’ fight for independence. To honor him, Ms. Milam’s goal is to create a whiskey “as authentic as Texas.”

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Indeed.  From her bio, it shows an (I guess???) ...what...maybe...impressive?...“first cousin six times removed”!!!????.  Well, dayum, by that measure I’d wager the majority of the readers of this board are too...Heck, I may be my own first cousin six times removed!!!  

After having her genealogy traced, she was delighted to discover that she and Ben Milam were in fact first cousin six-times removed. Ben Milam was a hero and martyr of Texas’ fight for independence. To honor him, Ms. Milam’s goal is to create a whiskey “as authentic as Texas.”

That last part really is the kicker ain't it

I bought a bottle and gave 3/4 of it away.  I have only done that once before as I usually finish what I start, but I was not impressed with this one at all.  If my brother didn't take it, it would have been a drain pour.

It's amazing how often "authentic Texas" ends up being found in Kentuckiana.

14 hours ago, Kane said:

They even span a story about the tasty local water source. How unexpected.

And it's just like Kentucky water at that, if that's not authentic Texas I don't know what is!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.