VOB-BIB

Big Rick
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This was recommended to me today and at 29 bucks for a 1.75 I picked it up. Thoughts?

vob-bib.jpg

• I like it 4

You will find many here supportive of your purchase, count me among that crowd.

One of my favorites. Since you have it in your possession, why ask us? Crack that sucker open and tell us what you think.

Well I did crack it open after dinner Thursday evening and I will buy it again in a New York minute if I see it again. It is new to this area and not a common sight.

The bottle pictured has a -6- on the neck label.  It must be a year or two old.  The current label has "100 proof".  

Anyway, it's one of my favorites too.

4 hours ago, PaulO said:

The bottle pictured has a -6- on the neck label.  It must be a year or two old. 

I think, as long as you don't assume it's still 6-Years Old because of that six on the neck label, you're doing OK. 

I wouldn't denigrate it to the extent of guessing it to be 'a year or two old', though.    My bet is that it's mostly 5 and 6-year old distillate.

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

The bottle pictured has a -6- on the neck label.  It must be a year or two old.  The current label has "100 proof".  

Anyway, it's one of my favorites too.

Well since it's a bib it's at least 4 yrs old.

What I meant is the label has changed.  The -6- label was changed to "100 proof".  

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

What I meant is the label has changed.  The -6- label was changed to "100 proof".  

Ah, gotcha, neck band change.

The new label says 100 proof on the neck . That bottle is more than a year old. I never had the old stuff, but the new 100 proof neck bottle is very good.

5 hours ago, cdcdguy said:

The new label says 100 proof on the neck . That bottle is more than a year old. I never had the old stuff, but the new 100 proof neck bottle is very good.

FWIW and YMMV, but I've done multiple SBSs with the "6 year", "-6-", and "100 proof" (although I'm down to my last three age stateds) and have not noticed any more of a difference than I have from comparable SBSs with orange screw top OGD BIB and the current fake cork black top OGD BIB OR the difference one finds between batches of any other widely sold bourbon bottled many months apart.  Indeed, I've stopped worrying about it - at least with VOB BIB and OGD BIB - and just consume what's available lately rather than seeking out "-6-"s over "100 proof"s.   Those three VOB BIB "6 year" neckies may be around for awhile, though, just in case  . . .  

• I like it 2

I tend to agree Harry.  I have been a VOB fan since picking up the anchor style bottles in KY.  I was disturbed when it lost the age statement, but I have to say the current stuff seems very similar or the same as before.  

A side note - when 1792 was 8 years and VOB was 6 years age stated, I always liked the VOB better (regardless of price).  I could never get into 1792.  It had a dry tannic taste to it that interfered with my enjoyment.  I think VOB and 1792 are the same mash bill?

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

I tend to agree Harry.  I have been a VOB fan since picking up the anchor style bottles in KY.  I was disturbed when it lost the age statement, but I have to say the current stuff seems very similar or the same as before.  

A side note - when 1792 was 8 years and VOB was 6 years age stated, I always liked the VOB better (regardless of price).  I could never get into 1792.  It had a dry tannic taste to it that interfered with my enjoyment.  I think VOB and 1792 are the same mash bill?

According to the folx who give the tours at the 1792 Barton distillery, 1792 expressions have a higher rye content in their mashbill than the VOB expressions.

...Except for the Sweet Wheat, of course.

Edited by Richnimrod
Additional Thought...
  • I like it 2

On 5/24/2018 at 7:41 AM, Richnimrod said:

According to the folx who give the tours at the 1792 Barton distillery, 1792 expressions have a higher rye content in their mashbill than the VOB expressions.

OK, that makes sense to me.  I didn't imagine just a little more age alone could make the difference.

This is one of my favorite regular pour expressions. I stock up when in KY. I prefer VOB BIB to 1792, in fact I prefer it to a lot of things. Its well made, tastes very good and is very reasonably priced. I am less affected by the “boom”as I have a deep inventory of things I consider “special” so the last few years purchases revolve around sub 30.00 bottles and VOB BIB is always a buy for me. I think I will have some today in fact.

Edited by kcgumbohead

On 5/24/2018 at 6:41 AM, Richnimrod said:

Wonder what the rye content might be in 1792HR, if the rest of the 1792's (xcept SW) are higher rye than VOB...

Hav'ta add that ??? to the list when back in Bardstown someday.

5 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

This is one of my favorite regular pour expressions. I stock up when in KY. I prefer VOB BIB to 1792, in fact I prefer it to a lot of things. Its well made, tastes very good and is very reasonably priced. I am less affected by the “boom”as I have a deep inventory of things I consider “special” so the last few years purchases revolve around sub 30.00 bottles and VOB BIB is always a buy for me. I think I will have some today in fact.

Its not available in your state? Its everywhere in IL, usually around $12-18. Its probably my favorite of ultra-budget-friendlys. That and EWBIB.

44 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Its not available in your state? Its everywhere in IL, usually around $12-18. Its probably my favorite of ultra-budget-friendlys. That and EWBIB.

VOB BIB has only been available in just a few states for years.  I’m not sure if that number equals 5.   Georgia, unfortunately, ain’t one of those.   

VOB BiB is definitely one of my favorites as well. It has an MSRP of $14 and there aren't too many other bourbons under $30, much less $15 or $20, that I like as much.

• I like it 2

• 3 months later...

VOB BIB is probably the best bang for the buck in the bourbon world. Say that fast three times. :D It's inexpensive as heck, but it's got a flavor that will be much appreciated by guests. And if your guests are knowledgeable about bourbon, they'll appreciate your appreciation of bourbon that tastes great and is less emptying (of the wallet.) 

• I like it 2

Reading this thread takes me back.  I haven't had any since they removed the 6 year band but with y'alls recommendations I'm going to get one tomorrow.  As a side note 1792 just tastes thin to me.

23 minutes ago, TunnelTiger said:

Reading this thread takes me back.  I haven't had any since they removed the 6 year band but with y'alls recommendations I'm going to get one tomorrow.  As a side note 1792 just tastes thin to me.

I never had the 6 year VOB BiB, but I do like the NAS better than 1792 SmB. 

• I like it 1

On 5/23/2018 at 11:05 PM, PaulO said:

A side note - when 1792 was 8 years and VOB was 6 years age stated, I always liked the VOB better (regardless of price).  I could never get into 1792.  It had a dry tannic taste to it that interfered with my enjoyment. 

Yep. What he said.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.