Russell’ Reserve 2002

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ooooooooh!     This has just GOT to be a stellar Bourbon, if it ever gets bottled.      I just pray for a chance to taste this offering.

• I like it 2

This looks like a follow up on the 1998 version of the Russel's Reserve bourbon limited release (tanked in 2014 at about 15yo but released in late 2015). Very good but $250 retail at the time and quickly went into the secondary market circus. I shudder to think what it might cost now even if you can get one at retail...

12 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

This looks like a follow up on the 1998 version of the Russel's Reserve bourbon limited release (tanked in 2014 at about 15yo but released in late 2015). Very good but $250 retail at the time and quickly went into the secondary market circus. I shudder to think what it might cost now even if you can get one at retail...

My thoughts exactly!

This new one will most certainly be the same price. I tried the 1998 about 6 weeks ago and thought it had too much oak so I won't fret if this new version is out of my price range.

Bruce, I'm afraid you're probably right about the price. With all of the really good RRSB's out there for around $50, I'd like to think this new one would sit on the shelves, but I highly doubt it.

55 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Bruce, I'm afraid you're probably right about the price. With all of the really good RRSB's out there for around $50, I'd like to think this new one would sit on the shelves, but I highly doubt it.

If it remains at $250 I would be surprised to be honest. I would certainly like to try it but not sure I will chase it. But if it falls into my lap...

57 minutes ago, flahute said:

My thoughts exactly!

This new one will most certainly be the same price. I tried the 1998 about 6 weeks ago and thought it had too much oak so I won't fret if this new version is out of my price range.

I thought it was somewhat oaky (and that is not typically my profile) but I didn't think it was overdone and enjoyed it as I recall. But it has been awhile.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If it remains at $250 I would be surprised to be honest. I would certainly like to try it but not sure I will chase it. But if it falls into my lap...

I thought it was somewhat oaky (and that is not typically my profile) but I didn't think it was overdone and enjoyed it as I recall. But it has been awhile.

A year or so ago and I would have likely loved it. But as my palate evolves I find myself becoming more and more sensitive to oak. I opened an old EC age stated 12 a couple weeks ago and 2 out of 3 times it tastes too oaky for me. That never happened before.

• I like it 2

Tasting notes: White chocolate? Never heard or tasted that in bourbon before... And can't really associate that with the WT profile either.

• 3 months later...

I saw this add today as well. I'm guessing the MSRP will be over $300 since RR 1998 was $250. I hope I'm wrong and this batch is much bigger than the 1998.

I'm like you and feel this is likely to be in my wheelhouse. 

This sounds fantastic, but I’m sure it’s going to be very pricey and probably hard to find. 

I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as a bourbon worth that much $$$ in my world.  I'll go up to low-to-mid $100s for something special (spent $115 on PVW15), but no way I'm approaching $200+.  That RR sounds amazing, but just can't do it...

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, gurgalunas said:

I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as a bourbon worth that much $$$ in my world.  I'll go up to low-to-mid $100s for something special (spent $115 on PVW15), but no way I'm approaching $200+.  That RR sounds amazing, but just can't do it...

What’s the price?  I haven’t seen one,?

6 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I saw this add today as well. I'm guessing the MSRP will be over $300 since RR 1998 was $250. I hope I'm wrong and this batch is much bigger than the 1998.

I'm like you and feel this is likely to be in my wheelhouse. 

49 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

What’s the price?  I haven’t seen one,?

My comments were responding to this info.  I dont expect that LEs get cheaper during the boom, but would welcome being wrong...

I’m guessing $250. 

About 2,500 bottles. 

15 year old cask strength whiskey. If I find it I’ll buy it but if I miss I wont be super bummed. 

Big Turkey fan and would love to get a bottle but afraid my pockets won't be deep enough. I don't have the hook up to land a bottle either. I will just stick with Rare Breed and be happy.

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

15 year old cask strength whiskey. If I find it I’ll buy it but if I miss I wont be super bummed. 

15 years tends to be too much oak for me, and I generally don't hunt LE's, but if initial reviews don't skew oak-bomb I will be in the same boats as you.

As big of a Turkey head that I am, I've had middling success with their older expressions. They don't seem to be well suited to my palate. 12 yers is generally the oldest I've liked consistently. Any older and it seems to need some special alignment of my palate for it to taste great (which it should for the price) and the rest of the time it comes off a bit too oaky.

Perhaps there's a reason why Jimmy always wanted to avoid bottling older expressions?

So, this will be a try before I buy bottle, which means I'll likely miss out because they will sell out before I get that chance to try.

Asked my LS about this and he didn't know anything about it.  He did tell me they got the WTMK Revival in though - not sure on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like this hit KY shelves today with a cost above $200 from what I have read. Guess I wont be sippin' any.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:18 PM, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Sounds like this hit KY shelves today with a cost above $200 from what I have read. Guess I wont be sippin' any.

Is it a KY only release?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.