Russell’ Reserve 2002

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Is it a KY only release?

Nope. 

South Carolina is supposed to get abt 30

bottles. 

• I like it 1

Semi-local store got a few bottles in. $399.99

They are normally really fair with pricing (got ORVW for $69.99 from them in November), so I'm thinking MSRP is pretty high on this.

Anyone else find it or try it yet?

I am willing to bet most folks are going to be forced to chose between getting this and Booker's 30th. Granted, most people will be lucky to find/see one of the two listed releases, but I can't see spending $600 of my yearly bourbon budget on just 2 bottles. I did buy 2 bottles of Booker's Rye at $300 each and wish I had more of it. And I am a huge WT fan and got a taste of RR1998 and really liked it. But given the choice, I will probably go after the Booker's 30th versus the WTRR. Just a better track record with the Booker LE's. And I am not a huge Beam fan at all.

On 6/16/2018 at 10:43 PM, elmossle said:

I am willing to bet most folks are going to be forced to chose between getting this and Booker's 30th. Granted, most people will be lucky to find/see one of the two listed releases, but I can't see spending $600 of my yearly bourbon budget on just 2 bottles. I did buy 2 bottles of Booker's Rye at $300 each and wish I had more of it. And I am a huge WT fan and got a taste of RR1998 and really liked it. But given the choice, I will probably go after the Booker's 30th versus the WTRR. Just a better track record with the Booker LE's. And I am not a huge Beam fan at all.

Isn't Booker's 30th not due to be released until December?  plenty of time to justify another expensive decision!

This came and went in a matter of minutes from the K&L website last week at $249.99. I think they received 6 bottles (I'm guessing they'll get additional allocations for their NorCal stores though)

• 2 weeks later...

So this one has been released already?

Btw, if a moderator is watching, someone needs to merge a thread because there's another thread for this whiskey with almost the same name.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

So this one has been released already?

Btw, if a moderator is watching, someone needs to merge a thread because there's another thread for this whiskey with almost the same name.

Yep - it's in the wild.

I'm just happy that I still have a few of the original RR 10-year-old that I paid $20 for in 2003...great friggin juice!

Oh, and the Pappy 15's and WLW at $75 a crack around 2005 turned out to be a bit of a good investment as well...:-)

Bourbon_RR.jpg

Edited by Oboe Cadobro
  • I like it 2

This will hit retail in TX beginning probably next week at approximately $250/bottle.

• 1 month later...

Passed up a bottle for $350 here in Memphis. A few years back I would have probably ponied up for the KOOL factor. I am a real big fan of WT and the Russell bottles, but to me they are just marginally better than the standard 101. Exception might be those honey SiBs that come along from time to time. Same with the Rare Breed and those $150 boxes. Just last night I poured a nice little 101, and thought just how good this is for $37 a half gallon (nearly). Dollar for dollar, ounce for ounce the standard bearer of the line is THE diamond in the rough. No pun!

Maybe one of my local buddies will turn me on to a pour and I can find out all I missed?

• I like it 2

Passed up a bottle for $350 here in Memphis. A few years back I would have probably ponied up for the KOOL factor. I am a real big fan of WT and the Russell bottles, but to me they are just marginally better than the standard 101. Exception might be those honey SiBs that come along from time to time. Same with the Rare Breed and those $150 boxes. Just last night I poured a nice little 101, and thought just how good this is for $37 a half gallon (nearly). Dollar for dollar, ounce for ounce the standard bearer of the line is THE diamond in the rough. No pun!
Maybe one of my local buddies will turn me on to a pour and I can find out all I missed?

I can’t help you on the RR 2002 because I decided to pass on it too. I did pick up a WTMK Revival, and would be more than happy to share a pour of that with you, but the sherry barrel finish is not usually in your wheelhouse.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:37 PM, JoeTerp said:

This made it to Virginia this week at $250. 

$250 in NH as well.  Pricing did not seem to turn off too many.  It disappeared like a fart in a hurricane.  

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, GreggJ said:

$250 in NH as well.  Pricing did not seem to turn off too many.  It disappeared like a fart in a hurricane.  

Never even saw it. It seems they are putting less and less on the website for review which is a good thing. But I guess we have to do a little more asking for certain items. I figured they were going to add it to the end of year lottery. Oh well, I guess I will have to look elsewhere.

7 hours ago, GreggJ said:

It disappeared very fast in VA as well.  It really did check all the boxes to fly off the shelves as it's:

- extremely limited (only 3,640 bottles)

- old (15 years)

- barrel proof

- fancy packaging didn't hurt either

As a bonus it seems to be receiving fairly fantastic reviews too (and I believe that the RR 1998 was also very well received).

On 8/21/2018 at 6:28 PM, lcpfratn said:

I can’t help you on the RR 2002 because I decided to pass on it too. I did pick up a WTMK Revival, and would be more than happy to share a pour of that with you, but the sherry barrel finish is not usually in your wheelhouse.

The WT MK Revival is really good, the best of the MK by far IMO, so if you can't pick up the RR 2002, just get a Revival for 1/2 the price and be happy - cheers

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, jvd99 said:

The WT MK Revival is really good, the best of the MK by far IMO, so if you can't pick up the RR 2002, just get a Revival for 1/2 the price and be happy - cheers

I’m with you on the Revival.  It’s very well done.  

• I like it 2

• 3 months later...

My favorite local had the 2002 on a shelf rather well hidden so I almost missed it. I grabbed it and after thinking for a while decided to pull the trigger. It was right about retail otherwise I would not have gone for it.  I had to talk myself into it as a Christmas present... or some kind of Reeward for bustin' my hump at work lately. 

Also- I'm flabbergasted by the prices on some of this NDP out there now. There was a Kentucky Owl on the shelf at a higher price than the Russel's. Where is that even from? and why would I want to pay 300$ for it? nuts

I have no comment about the 2002 juice yet, but the packaging is gorgeous. 

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone who passed you made the right call. The juice is not good. I followed it with 93’ WT 101/8. The 2002 couldn’t hold up. I traded the open bottle to a guy who wanted the pretty packaging. 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:58 PM, dwolf said:

For everyone who passed you made the right call. The juice is not good. I followed it with 93’ WT 101/8. The 2002 couldn’t hold up. I traded the open bottle to a guy who wanted the pretty packaging. 

Not sure that is a fair comparison. 2002 is from Camp Nelson which has its own profile (the CNP camp nelson prickle). 

I wasn't really trying to do a side by side with the WT, it just happened to be what I followed it with. The 2002 was my first drink of the night and it was one of the few times I didn't even want to finish the pour. I tried a couple days later with friends and we all had the same result. It is possible I had influenced them with my previous opinion. If you love the CNP profile, may this stuff is your jam.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:58 PM, dwolf said:

Interesting. I dug around in the bunker and found a WT 101/8 from the mid 90's. It's been open for a while but not too far down the bottle. Cool dark storage. While I do like it a good deal- I'd have a hard time comparing it to the 2002. For one thing it's something of an apples/ oranges comparison- as the profiles are not even all that close. But the other is the complex depth of flavors in the 2002 is in rather stark contrast to the relative simplicity of the 101- tho granted this 101 does have some pretty nice flavors/mouthfeel going on...

Not knowing what you traded the 2002 For- I am guessing that guy may be pretty excited about his newfound 2002- as I found it to be a pretty memorable pour. I would by far rather have it in my possession than any of the gouge price PVW/BTAC/Owl/Pig offerings at the moment

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.