Angel’s Envy Cask Strength worth it?

Ajparent
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anybody feel that Angel’s envy Cask strength is worth purchasing at retail $229.99?  Any experience with it?

5 hours ago, Ajparent said:

Anybody feel that Angel’s envy Cask strength is worth purchasing at retail $229.99?  Any experience with it?

No.   ...And, no.

20 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

No.   ...And, no.

What Rich said. 

It is consistently delicious whiskey. And if it was $20 more than regular Angel’s Envy I would be a regular buyer. But it’s regularly priced in the ridiculous zone so I easily pass.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

It is consistently delicious whiskey. And if it was $20 more than regular Angel’s Envy I would be a regular buyer. But it’s regularly priced in the ridiculous zone so I easily pass.

Ditto this; although personally I'd pay more than $20 over AE retail (honestly - I'd pay double, which would be $100; although no one is breaking down my door to take me up on that offer).  I've never bought a bottle - but continue to welcome samples :) 

• I like it 1

I haven’t pulled the trigger on this one partially due to price but I also don’t like the standard Angels Envy. I’ve heard this is very good but my dislike of the standard product has made it so I don’t want to pay $200 that I’ve seen it for. I guess it’s possible that it’s substantially better than the standard as I find Makers Mark Cask Strength to be a lot better than regular Makers Mark. 

The comments here are exactly what might be expected, and you’ll have to glean out of them what you wish.  The chances of a whiskey, any whiskey, being “worth” $200 is very slim.  That amount goes beyond what 90% of any of us would pay for any whiskey.  So from that standard it’s a non-buy.  But, you are hearing it’s very good, if not downright delicious whiskey.  So, if you’re up to maybe wanting to experience that, then popping the coin for it is not unreasonable.  Determining “Worth” in whiskey is so damn subjective, that the question up front is rather pointless, IMO.  

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

The comments here are exactly what might be expected, and you’ll have to glean out of them what you wish.  The chances of a whiskey, any whiskey, being “worth” $200 is very slim.  That amount goes beyond what 90% of any of us would pay for any whiskey.  So from that standard it’s a non-buy.  But, you are hearing it’s very good, if not downright delicious whiskey.  So, if you’re up to maybe wanting to experience that, then popping the coin for it is not unreasonable.  Determining “Worth” in whiskey is so damn subjective, that the question up front is rather pointless, IMO.  

I have to agree that "worth" is hard to substantiate.  Is it "worth" the contents of the bottle when the "retail" is over $100 a bottle?  Depends on a few things.  Do you have the means to afford it based on an above average salary?  Then $200 a bottle might not be unreasonable.  I am known to have paid more than that for certain bottles (not that I want to) that I want to experience.  And this is for me at least, where I can define "worth" am I going to experience something that is quite likely exceptional and unlikely to be repeated (at the inflated price)?  Then I have no problem paying the price, for the experience of it.  

Some experiences suck though. :)  Be prepared for that.  

I’ve paid extortion prices for whiskeys I can’t find at an acceptable price point. On the few times I’ve done this, it’s been because I was paying those prices per drink at a bar. After repeated bar purchases because I loved the whiskey I just bought a bottle. It saved me some money I would’ve otherwise spent at a bar and I enjoy the whiskey. It’s a rationalization I know, and I wouldn’t recommend approaching all purchases this way. I just want to be honest and say that sometimes, I’ve stretched for a whiskey and I’ve felt good afterwards. Other times, I’ve had buyer’s remorse. Do what’s right for you. I would advise tasting it first before dropping that kind of coin. 

• I like it 2

I bought one in 2015.

While the pour is decent, I feel like the surcharge for the fancy wooden box and velvet liner is a bit high.

It's not something I reach for very often, and the space that box occupies on my bar is starting to wear on me a little bit.

For whatever its worth, the retail back then was $165.

Not much to add, I've had the opportunity to buy a bottle for less than that and have passed, it is an enjoyable pour for me but the price is tough to swallow even if the whiskey isn't. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

it is an enjoyable pour for me but the price is tough to swallow even if the whiskey isn't. 

Concise, and artfully written. Bravo Kevin 

• I like it 1

Thanks guys!  I suppose I probably would have been able to get the answer I was looking for with a different question. Really I was just trying to find out if the drink was tasty, which sounds like it is, and whether comparable to other similarly priced whiskeys. I know it’s hard to prove worth when it comes to dropping $200 on alcohol. The price of admission isn’t gonna break the bank for me, so I will probably pull the trigger and chalk it up to a new experience, if I’m not fond of it, so be it. I’ve certainly spend way more, on way less...

7 hours ago, Ajparent said:

Thanks guys!  I suppose I probably would have been able to get the answer I was looking for with a different question. Really I was just trying to find out if the drink was tasty, which sounds like it is, and whether comparable to other similarly priced whiskeys. I know it’s hard to prove worth when it comes to dropping $200 on alcohol. The price of admission isn’t gonna break the bank for me, so I will probably pull the trigger and chalk it up to a new experience, if I’m not fond of it, so be it. I’ve certainly spend way more, on way less...

There ya' go!    Go for a new experience, and enjoy it as much as you can.    You may find it approaches nirvana for you.    And, as long as your wallet won't suffer a long-lasting pang of guilt; what the hell? 

Good Luck!    Let us know how you like it, if you do grab up one.     For me, I'm not that big a fan AE.     I'm still working on only my second bottle, and I just don't reach for it all that often.

I have a bit of experience with it... ????

I concur with those who thought it was a good whiskey, presuming you like finished whiskey and port finished in particular (I do and I think it is more than just "good"), but agree that the willingness to pay the cost is at best subjective. I have had every release since the beginning and while I have so far managed to stay under the $200 "Mendoza" line for each bottle the price creep has been frustrating. At $100, or even the low $100's range, I would certainly find it far more appealing, but then again who wouldn't! 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.