Restaurant Prices

Dango
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What’s your thoughts on this menu prices? 

My opinion is, it’s the worst pricing I’ve seen yet. 

E7DA0C66-6396-4051-B4FD-C33034F58596.thumb.jpeg.d34105f1eaf5fe18c6ea10fbf4da619f.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Dango said:

E7DA0C66-6396-4051-B4FD-C33034F58596.thumb.jpeg.d34105f1eaf5fe18c6ea10fbf4da619f.jpeg

I can’t find anything there that I’d be comfortable ordering for the price. 

They better have some phenomenal food at happy hour prices, which I'm 99.9% sure they don't. 

I’ve seen much, much worse. But this is still pretty bad

• I like it 1

Pretty bad pricing there.  Relative to the rest of the list the Stagg for $40 is not terrible.  

There are some pours that seem fairly reasonable, but the bourbon, for the most part is high and inconsistently priced.

In general it's pretty bad.  I feel like I've seen worse, but can't think of an example offhand.  These days I generally expect to see prices at about 25% of the bottle cost (which usually makes me hesitant to order stuff I have at my home bar).  Some of those are around or even slightly under that but others (I'm looking at Eagle Rare) are over 50% of bottle.

1 hour ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

Macallan 12 for $15 seems very reasonable. 

I was going to say, you are better off going with Scotch there instead of bourbon!! Like many have said, not the worst I've seen price wise, but you were not getting anything close to value there either. When you are almost paying for the whole bottle with one pour CETH Small Batch, you know there is a problem. I did think Lot B at $150 a pour was extremely funny though so thank you for the laugh. Please tell me where this is so I can avoid it especially if it is in Boston.

That’s bad. By comparison, there’s a place in Worcester, MA that pours EC18 for 16 bucks an ounce. Usually places with a menu like this provide an opportunity to try something you’ve had an itch for, but at these prices, you’re better off buying a bottle and winging it. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Dango said:

You have to give us some context here such as where this restaurant is? Your location says Boston but I can't assume that's where you were dining. If it is a downtown Boston restaurant then I'd say welcome to the big city and big city pricing. But as one poster said the pricing for single malt is very reasonable.

12 minutes ago, DCFan said:

You have to give us some context here such as where this restaurant is? Your location says Boston but I can't assume that's where you were dining. If it is a downtown Boston restaurant then I'd say welcome to the big city and big city pricing. But as one poster said the pricing for single malt is very reasonable.

Vegas, baby? Or some over-priced steakhouse on International Drive in Orlando?  Can't keep up with all your business travels.  If it's downtown Boston, we're gonna' have to do some talkin'.

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

I have seen this phenomenon elsewhere: the Van Winkle is completely out of proportion to the other prices (which are high to begin with). GTS is at least a similarly if not more sought after bourbon, but yet it is $40 a pour and Van Winkle 12 is $150. I was at a bar not too long ago that had WLW for $22 a pour, but all the Van Winkle bourbons were $100+. To me, WLW is quite a bit better than ORVW 10 or VW 12, but I guess any whiskey with Van Winkle on it is automatically worth all the money for some people.

• I like it 1

If these are 2 oz. pours, with the exception of the Van Winkle, the prices are not too bad.  If 1 oz., forget it...

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

There are some pours that seem fairly reasonable, but the bourbon, for the most part is high and inconsistently priced.

This is what I was thinking. The pricing makes no sense. The barkeep agreed 

3 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I have seen this phenomenon elsewhere: the Van Winkle is completely out of proportion to the other prices (which are high to begin with). GTS is at least a similarly if not more sought after bourbon, but yet it is $40 a pour and Van Winkle 12 is $150. I was at a bar not too long ago that had WLW for $22 a pour, but all the Van Winkle bourbons were $100+. To me, WLW is quite a bit better than ORVW 10 or VW 12, but I guess any whiskey with Van Winkle on it is automatically worth all the money for some people.

Same I have had OVW 10 and GTS and WLW all between 22-25 a pour. 

16 hours ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

I can’t find anything there that I’d be comfortable ordering for the price. 

Living in the San Francisco bay area, those prices aren't the worst I've seen.  The pricing on the Lot B Van Winkle is absurdly high though.  Eagle is usually 12-18 depending on the bar in SF.  

My thought on the menu prices is they are what they are.  I see nothing I would pay for on that list now (bought my first GTS drink that way), so most likely I would either drink just water with the meal or at the most order a Jack & Coke.  The price at stores and restaurants do not bother me any longer.  They charge what they want to charge, and I pay or not at my choice.

If the food prices are similar, everything better be excellent or my visit there would be a singular one.

Silly prices but I've seen much worse.  There's a reason I rarely order bourbon while out.  

2 hours ago, mikeydk said:

Living in the San Francisco bay area, those prices aren't the worst I've seen.  The pricing on the Lot B Van Winkle is absurdly high though.  Eagle is usually 12-18 depending on the bar in SF.  

I hear ya. I used to live in SF and I travel quite a bit for  business. There are still decent prices on whiskey in some big cities. Recently had ORVW 10 and 12 for $26 and $30 in NYC and Michter’s 10 for $18 in Boston. 

Still, can’t beat the price I paid this weekend at a steak place in Northern, Indiana..$8 for Booker’s!

Prices determined by fair dice roll. Those are *way* above Boston downtown prices.

Agree with the others. I'd skip them all at those prices.

16 hours ago, Kane said:

Prices determined by fair dice roll. Those are *way* above Boston downtown prices.

I agree, I travel lots and this is the worst priced menu I’ve seen. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.