Bourbon and the new tariff wars

Postal Grunt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

They need to put tarriffs on exporting Blanton's SFTB and Gold. Maybe Americans will actually get to try a line of one their own premium bourbons.

There will be little, if any detriment to bourbon consumers in the US, and little detrimental effects to foreign consumers in the short term. These tariffs will likely not last very long, so I expect little long term impact. And if they do last longer than I expect, maybe some of the LE and allocated bourbon will be more accessible in the US with less demand in foreign markets.

17 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

There will be little, if any detriment to bourbon consumers in the US, and little detrimental effects to foreign consumers in the short term. These tariffs will likely not last very long, so I expect little long term impact. And if they do last longer than I expect, maybe some of the LE and allocated bourbon will be more accessible in the US with less demand in foreign markets.

I agree.  We’ll be fine.  Somebody tell Minnick to loosen his cravat, and have a drink...

• I like it 2

Whilst the tariffs might be short term, I suspect a lot of retailers will keep the prices as is were the tariffs to drop (especially in the UK). Pricing is all over the place across the EU, things are rarely just cost + vat, you've only gotta look at EH Taylor pricing for some randomness. 

I also think it will do little to put off the demand for LE, if anything the low-mid range will suffer with people holding out for something they deem 'worth' the price, and with LE pricing on the rise yearly in the EU, will get swallowed up in that.

I'm sorry we're stealing all your Blanton's, but to be honest from what I see on Twitter/FB/here, most of it goes right back to the US. So tariff away, you'll be punching yourself in your danglies... 

Edited by beasled
  • I like it 5

I think we’ll be fine unless the country gets sick of all the winning over the past 18 months ;)

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, newmennium said:

They need to put tarriffs on exporting Blanton's SFTB and Gold. Maybe Americans will actually get to try a line of one their own premium bourbons.

When Fishnbowljoe and I were able to have a chat this past April with Mark Brown, Pres. and CEO of BT, I specifically asked about the Blanton's we can't buy in the U.S. He informed us that part of the purchase agreement when Sazerac bought the brand from Japan's Takara (in 1992 IIRC), who had earlier bought it from Age International, that only the Blanton's we currently get could be sold in the States. The others were to remain for the international markets. Times were tough for Sazerac in the early 90's, so apparently it wasn't much of an issue.

• I like it 3

Bourbon will be fine - although I dread what we may see in foreign whiskey pricing if this global pissing contest continues (in which . . . oh, right - no one actually wins).  

• I like it 1

I can't imagine there will be any downside to US bourbon drinkers.  Now if you are in the US and you like Irish, Canadian, or Scotch then that may get more expensive

4 hours ago, beasled said:

I'm sorry we're stealing all your Blanton's, but to be honest from what I see on Twitter/FB/here, most of it goes right back to the US. So tariff away, you'll be punching yourself in your danglies... 

Hee, hee - punching myself in my danglies.  He said a funny!  Hee, hee.

• I like it 3

I think that this market will bear tariffs easily.  The collectors will pay it because they want it.  The general public will notice their shopping cart bottle will go up slightly, but it'll still be the cheapest out there, so they'll get it, or what else will they do?  Drink the local?  

I was listening to a podcast where they posited that this will have an impact on jobs in Kentucky, and generally impact bourbon drinkers the world over, including at home, and that decreased sales in foreign markets will NOT mean more availability here at home.  

I think that if the bourbon is bottled, and there is no market outside the US, the distillers will sell it here.  And all of the bunker stash folks, will gladly absorb even more of the inventory out there.  

Reality though, it'll be short lived pissing contest, either through deal making, or elections.  Time will tell.   

There is nothing good for the consumer about having to pay more for what they like. And to the government, no less. Not the producers who have earned it, and could use that money to expand.

As for the tears over the limiteds going abroad - the US drinks a lot of scotch, rum, and wine from all over the world. Including limited editions of such. It is unbecoming to whine because that street is 2 way.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 6

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

As for the tears over the limiteds going abroad - the US drinks a lot of scotch, rum, and wine from all over the world. Including limited editions of such. It is unbecoming to whine because that street is 2 way.

Yeah, what Tot said!  He's beginning to sound a little Euro, no?  "unbecoming" (heh, heh).  J/K.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Yeah, what Tot said!  He's beginning to sound a little Euro, no?  "unbecoming" (heh, heh).  J/K.

Well he does live in London half the time!

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

There is nothing good for the consumer about having to pay more for what they like. And to the government, no less. Not the producers who have earned it, and could use that money to expand.

Well I don't like scotch so in my selfish little corner I'd like to trade back all the LE scotch and get back all the LE bourbon. :)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Well I don't like scotch so in my selfish little corner I'd like to trade back all the LE scotch and get back all the LE bourbon. :)

Forgive me father for I have sinned. Yes I have deviated from the one true path, bourbon, for you see I’m enjoying a healthy pour of Laphroaig. :)

Edited by DCFan

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

All right then - It's a bitch move :)

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Is it wrong for me to be a greedy little bastard and want it all? :) 

• I like it 5

Serge over at whiskyfun.com slapped a 25% tariff/deduction on his American whisky scores.  Now that's funny :lol:

• I like it 4

22 hours ago, flahute said:

Yep. 

I dont trust it if it needs 20 years in a used bourbon barrel ;)

2 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Serge over at whiskyfun.com slapped a 25% tariff/deduction on his American whisky scores.  Now that's funny :lol:

I laughed at that myself

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.