Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked this up at the distillery earlier today when I was there for National Bourbon Day.  It's cask strength KC Rye from Rickhouse A, which is one of the Frankfort warehouses, built in 1914.  Bottled at 119.6 proof.  They said there are a few bottles out in stores but when it's gone, it's gone.

Resized_20180614_161706_3676.jpg

Had a pour of it last night at a restaurant.  Awesome doesn't start to describe it.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:35 AM, kcgumbohead said:

Isn't this the one that is in most stores now? 

Yes. It's a (mostly?) national release. There are bottles of it all over here. I picked one up today at $60. It does say "Limited Release 2018" so when this first 119.6 batch is gone it's gone, but there are likely to be subsequent batches to follow.  This batch was probably about the same size as a Booker's batch.

20180616_154329-1209x1612.jpg

I got to participate in a barrel pick for KC Rye SiB on Friday.  Of course the samples are cask strength, with water from the distillery to proof it down.   Tried it both at cask strength, then added water and sampled again.  All three were 2011 barrels.  We are trying to figure out if KC will split the barrel between SiB and CS bottles.  Hope so...

20180615_110953-1470x3024.jpg

20180615_111959-3024x1470.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, gurgalunas said:

I got to participate in a barrel pick for KC Rye SiB on Friday.  Of course the samples are cask strength, with water from the distillery to proof it down.   Tried it both at cask strength, then added water and sampled again.  All three were 2011 barrels.  We are trying to figure out if KC will split the barrel between SiB and CS bottles.  Hope so...

I'd be stunned if they allowed that.  They've never done CS of the Bourbon aside from some 25th anniversary ones.  I also don't believe they have a TTB label approved for such a product.

• I like it 1

I believe the SB rye will be bottled at 115 proof right? Not much chance they will do it at any other proof. Tried in the past to get a store pick bourbon that was about 121 proof and they still insisted on cutting it to 120. Not sure they really did but they claimed they did.

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I believe the SB rye will be bottled at 115 proof right? Not much chance they will do it at any other proof. Tried in the past to get a store pick bourbon that was about 121 proof and they still insisted on cutting it to 120. Not sure they really did but they claimed they did.

Yeah.  They're at 115.  

Really hope to come across one of these soon. Love the 115 store pic bottle I have.

On 6/17/2018 at 8:34 PM, gurgalunas said:

That's awesome you were able to help pick the barrel. They must have faith in your taste buds!

It's nice to know there are some older barrels floating around the KC rye SB program. Most of the ones I've seen have been about 5.5 years old and that one is about 6.5. The other two barrels in that set are from 2012 though, no? Looks like the Lot ID starts with "12"

4 hours ago, Kpiz said:

That's awesome you were able to help pick the barrel. They must have faith in your taste buds!

It's nice to know there are some older barrels floating around the KC rye SB program. Most of the ones I've seen have been about 5.5 years old and that one is about 6.5. The other two barrels in that set are from 2012 though, no? Looks like the Lot ID starts with "12"

Thats the 4th pick I've helped that LS with this year.  2x KC SiB, 1x BT, and now 1x KC Rye.  We all have pretty similar palates, as I'm 4 for 4 picking the winner.  We taste blind, and at different times. 

I pretty sure all three were 2011 on the card "barreled date".  In fact, two were within days of each other.

The cask strength bottles in pics earlier in the thread were labeled 2009, I think.

On 6/17/2018 at 11:45 PM, JoeTerp said:

I'd be stunned if they allowed that.  They've never done CS of the Bourbon aside from some 25th anniversary ones.  I also don't believe they have a TTB label approved for such a product.

Agree, now that I noticed the "special release 2018" on the cask strength medallion.  I thought it was a new product line, not a Ltd ed.

On 6/18/2018 at 2:47 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, 115 on the rye.

The first KC SiB pick we did was a 121.x at 13 years.  It didn't change much when taken down to 120.  Just arrived the other day, and it's as good as I remember...

I got a bottle of this and am not a fan. This has less to do with the quality of the whiskey and more of a reinforcement that Beam and especially Beam rye is outside my wheelhouse. This seems like an excellent Beam rye, if that's your thing.

On 6/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, Clueby said:

Yes. It's a (mostly?) national release. There are bottles of it all over here. I picked one up today at $60. It does say "Limited Release 2018" so when this first 119.6 batch is gone it's gone, but there are likely to be subsequent batches to follow.  This batch was probably about the same size as a Booker's batch.

20180616_154329-1209x1612.jpg

It showed up in Kansas City in limited quantity.  I grabbed one at $69.  I dont normally reach for rye, but after the barrel pick, I wanted one.

I have seen a couple of different store select SiB KC Rye (115 proof) with plenty on the shelf for $44.99.  I have not seen any KC CS Rye.  I have asked around but it doesn't appear to have come in or, if so, it is pretty limited.

On 6/19/2018 at 7:55 PM, gurgalunas said:

Thats the 4th pick I've helped that LS with this year.  2x KC SiB, 1x BT, and now 1x KC Rye.  We all have pretty similar palates, as I'm 4 for 4 picking the winner.  We taste blind, and at different times.

Gurgalunas, AKA "Barrel Whisperer", living the dream!

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have seen a couple of different store select SiB KC Rye (115 proof) with plenty on the shelf for $44.99.  I have not seen any KC CS Rye.  I have asked around but it doesn't appear to have come in or, if so, it is pretty limited.

It is 20 bottles deep at a NJ Supermarket so I don't think people need to worry about this being "Limited" it probably just didn't hit stores in your market. There are literally cases of it at all of the stores I go to. 

Good to know, I still haven't seen any around.

Actually, I haven't even seen that new Jim Beam in these parts yet, see I don't even remember the name anymore. Beam is really lagging in MA.

9 hours ago, Kane said:

Good to know, I still haven't seen any around.

Actually, I haven't even seen that new Jim Beam in these parts yet, see I don't even remember the name anymore. Beam is really lagging in MA.

Distiller's Cut? 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally run across one and picked it up for the holiday, couldn’t wait until tomorrow to give it a try. I am really enjoying the first couple ounces. I am sure it will get even better with a little time. Got to say it’s better than a couple of the 115 picks I have tried. Wishing I had got the other one now I left on the shelf. 

814BFD24-6E26-4DEB-8C00-4988183165E1.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 1:38 PM, smokinjoe said:

I picked up a bottle today and am really enjoying sipping it now.  This whiskey just explodes over the palate and finish.  The nose is rather soft on spice, but is full of caramel candy shop notes.  Very sweet and has that nice rickhouses on a hot day aroma to back it up.  Very pleasing, but leads me to believe it won’t have much of a punch.  WRONG!  Kapowy!! It erupts with an uppercut to the chin and overhand right flush on the jaw.  Pepper spice, clove, and dried flower potpourri.  Some old fragrant dusty oak that is just beautiful.  And, it just sizzles on the finish and won’t quit.  Like the last of a firework that explodes, then crackles for a bit as it falls back to earth.  Outstanding IMO.  This Rye has WOW’d me.

I brought this review over from the other thread, and I am still totally digging on this Rye.  The finish is absolutely extraordinary.      

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I brought this review over from the other thread, and I am still totally digging on this Rye.  The finish is absolutely extraordinary.      

Got one of these a couple weeks ago and am still getting acclimated to it. I definitely like it, just waiting to see if that wow moment happens.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

Got one of these a couple weeks ago and am still getting acclimated to it. I definitely like it, just waiting to see if that wow moment happens.

Those things typically happen right away, so my guess is that the wow moment will not happen upon you, then.  Ah, the vagaries of individual palates.  You and I can’t be that identical, bro!   :D  

• I like it 1

My WOW moment came when I had it after a pour of Handy, the KC seemed a bit more dialed in for my tastes and since then it has really worked for me. 

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Those things typically happen right away, so my guess is that the wow moment will not happen upon you, then.  Ah, the vagaries of individual palates.  You and I can’t be that identical, bro!   :D  

True, true. I’m just used to being aligned with you on just about everything that I take it for granted! Me and rye have a complicated relationship. It seems that my palate needs to be within a narrow zone for me to love it. If it’s not there I get too much mint and other flavors get muted. A wow moment might still be possible but even if It happens I know it will be fleeting. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen this in Texas?

I'm getting nervous that I'm going to have to ask someone in another state to grab me some more of this. Only one bottle survived a flight, and it's half gone!

18 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Has anyone seen this in Texas?

I'm getting nervous that I'm going to have to ask someone in another state to grab me some more of this. Only one bottle survived a flight, and it's half gone!

It is still hanging around in Atlanta as best I recall if you want me to check. I will have to look around to find the best price as my store has it but it tends to be on the high side for this one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.