"Baller" time...

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Probably not one a lot of people are going to have had experience with but this was one I looked for when it first came out a couple of years ago. I even happened to be in the Bay area and went to St. George to try get one but could not convince them to sell me one. Then a week or so ago the local rep happended to mention he had gotten a few in. Sign me up! 

Lower proof at 47% but just unusual enough to still keep my interest, this 8 or so year old whiskey is an American sourced barley single malt from St George that is first aged in ex-bourbon and French oak. It then finishes out it time in casks seasoned with their own version of Japanese plum wine called umeshu (really a liqueur made with plums and not a true wine). Suffice it to say that the finish gives it a unique and rather delicate fruit character although I get more apricot than plum. but there is also some lovely briney malt and perhaps a wisp of smoke often present to me in some delicate Japanese malts. Quite complex and pleasant indeed. 

1032252618_Ballerwhisky1.jpg.0a69d3c823d7717f095764b23168da56.jpg434620452_Ballerwhisky2.jpg.5acb807339c1f315057ad8b2d531e546.jpg

Naturally enough the label celebrates a fusion of the namesake distillery and its unique finish. I presume the name comes from the Japanese tradition of drinking whisky as a highball cocktail. In some fancy bars in Tokyo the preparation of a highball is almost as elaborate as a tea ceremony apparently. 

I guess I am now officially a "baller"!

Although I think I will continue to drink this whisky neat and not in a highball.  

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Probably not one a lot of people are going to have had experience with but this was one I looked for when it first came out a couple of years ago. I even happened to be in the Bay area and went to St. George to try get one but could not convince them to sell me one. Then a week or so ago the local rep happended to mention he had gotten a few in. Sign me up! 

Lower proof at 47% but just unusual enough to still keep my interest, this 8 or so year old whiskey is an American sourced barley single malt from St George that is first aged in ex-bourbon and French oak. It then finishes out it time in casks seasoned with their own version of Japanese plum wine called umeshu (really a liqueur made with plums and not a true wine). Suffice it to say that the finish gives it a unique and rather delicate fruit character although I get more apricot than plum. but there is also some lovely briney malt and perhaps a wisp of smoke often present to me in some delicate Japanese malts. Quite complex and pleasant indeed. 

1032252618_Ballerwhisky1.jpg.0a69d3c823d7717f095764b23168da56.jpg434620452_Ballerwhisky2.jpg.5acb807339c1f315057ad8b2d531e546.jpg

Naturally enough the label celebrates a fusion of the namesake distillery and its unique finish. I presume the name comes from the Japanese tradition of drinking whisky as a highball cocktail. In some fancy bars in Tokyo the preparation of a highball is almost as elaborate as a tea ceremony apparently. 

I guess I am now officially a "baller"!

Although I think I will continue to drink this whisky neat and not in a highball.  

I'm with you this one is quite unique and quite good, it is however (shockingly based on taste) 3 years old not 8 (I thought the same thing, but the font is just kind of hard to read and that there is in fact a 3) http://stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/baller-whiskey/ 

Thanks for the info. I had the impression that after the 3-4 years of initial aging it got several years of finishing in the umeshu seasoned wood. But maybe the finish is only weeks or months. I will ask around and see what I can find out.

• I like it 1

So, I managed to simply space out completely on the obvious "Aged 3 years" age statement on the back. I didn't think that was an 8 but simply missed it altogether!

582692985_Ballerwhisky3.jpg.1d624834dbab44d7748109fb24279ccd.jpg

Oh well, still a very interesting and enjoyable whisky!

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So, I managed to simply space out completely on the obvious "Aged 3 years" age statement on the back. I didn't think that was an 8 but simply missed it altogether!

I honestly thought it was an 8 until someone looked at the bottle and told me I needed glasses!

Yeah, you have to look close to see the 3 on that one.  Sure looked like an 8 to my poor eyes.  

I'm impressed you were able to get your hands on one of these. I have yet to try this even though the distillery is about 10 miles away because it sells out almost immediately when it drops every year. I'll have to be quicker on the trigger.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I'm impressed you were able to get your hands on one of these. I have yet to try this even though the distillery is about 10 miles away because it sells out almost immediately when it drops every year. I'll have to be quicker on the trigger.

It's fairly available here at the moment, not to rub it in, I'm guessing the proximity to the source doesn't help on the availability. I like it enough that I'll probably pickup another bottle at some point.

In honor of the upcoming Cask Thief event this weekend…

IMG_9642.thumb.jpg.1fee845ee92f5be19fe985fe2d914322.jpg

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

In honor of the upcoming Cask Thief event this weekend…

IMG_9642.thumb.jpg.1fee845ee92f5be19fe985fe2d914322.jpg

Sorry, posted in wrong thread-- it was early.

• I like it 1

Contacted St. George who indicated that production of Baller whiskey was ongoing. What was released recently outside of California is not necessarily (most likely isn't) from the same batch originally released in California in 2016. It is currently about 2.5 years in ex-bourbon/French oak and then finished for 6 months in the house made umeshu seasoned barrels for a total of at least 3 years of aging.

Never tried nor even saw a bottle of the original release and no idea if it was in any way different.

• I like it 1

• 1 year later...

Found this for the first time in NJ. It is truly unique from anything I've ever had. The umeshu barrels comes through and reminds me a Sake.

1 hour ago, KyleCBreese said:

Found this for the first time in NJ. It is truly unique from anything I've ever had. The umeshu barrels comes through and reminds me a Sake.

I love it, haven't cracked the latest batch yet but I really liked last years

On 6/19/2018 at 4:35 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

It’s an 8 if you squint!

Randomly came across one of these for a reasonable price and decided to join the party. Cracked it open at the store to let a few of the workers try it, but looking forward to trying it myself this evening. 

baller.thumb.jpg.c46e234517de15f5c741b8a6cf1d3518.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.