What Bourbon Are You Enjoying (summer 2018)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've been traveling for work the better part of the past 2 1/2 weeks and it's been a bit of a blur. My birthday was last week right in the middle of it all. Can't even remember if I posted about it but after birthday dinner I came home and had a WLW and GTS. On Tuesday this week I found myself at the SLC airport with some time time to kill so I went into a Vino Volo wine bar/restaurant. Checked out the bourbon list. Baker's - $21. Booker's $22. Hmmmmm......WLW $25. GTS $25. That's more like it. Had a WLW and a GTS

Took the day off today to recuperate and celebrate my birthday since last week's celebration was limited by all the travel. Having a Birthday Bourbon with some Key Lime Pie (my wife absolutely makes a KILLER pie). Going to finish the night with the King - GTS

• I like it 4

On 8/13/2018 at 11:24 PM, Paddy said:

I often pick up what I describe as a eucalyptus note, with this house...

I don't think I know what eucalyptus smells like, so that's not how I can describe it. On further testing, the words that come to mind are menthol, medicinal, and creamy. I was intrigued enough to do the following SBS:

image.thumb.jpeg.667396342b6ff6b543a0f42a40144c60.jpeg

This note is very strong on the nose and in the taste of the JW Dant BiB. It overpowers anything else going on in this bourbon for me and I'm not crazy about it.

It is there in the nose of the Heaven Hill BiB 6 year and to a lesser extent in the taste. This bourbon is more in balance and I enjoy it overall.

The David Nicholson 1843 (100 proof but not BiB) has a powerful cinnamon nose. I don't get the "eucalyptus" note. The finish is out of whack and messes up what is otherwise a pretty good bourbon for the money.

Not pictured, but added as a fourth is Elijah Craig SmB NAS. I'm getting a hint of the eucalyptus note on the nose, but I don't think I have noticed it in the past in this bourbon so maybe it is sticking with me from the prior bourbons. This one is a noticeable bit darker than the other three, which were pretty close in appearance. Flavor and finish are good and this is a very strong contender in its "weight class."

• I like it 1

Opened the CEHT BP tonight and gave out a few sample bottles at bday. The nose is fantastic. Love the taste, not harsh or too powerful for 129.7 proof. Not quite what I expected, almost want to say it is similar to OWA but definitely stronger.  will have to revisit on a night where I haven't just enjoyed OWA PS and eaten a bunch of smoked brisket.

enhance

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, Jazz June said:

I don't think I know what eucalyptus smells like, so that's not how I can describe it. On further testing, the words that come to mind are menthol, medicinal, and creamy. I was intrigued enough to do the following SBS:

image.thumb.jpeg.667396342b6ff6b543a0f42a40144c60.jpeg

This note is very strong on the nose and in the taste of the JW Dant BiB. It overpowers anything else going on in this bourbon for me and I'm not crazy about it.

It is there in the nose of the Heaven Hill BiB 6 year and to a lesser extent in the taste. This bourbon is more in balance and I enjoy it overall.

The eucalyptus note is a longtime house signature for HH whiskies, though, I find it less prominent as less pre-fire distillate has made it into the mix.  I think your menthol and medicinal notes you get adds up to what many call eucalyptus.  Same element, just different names, I think.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

The eucalyptus note is a longtime house signature for HH whiskies, though, I find it less prominent as less pre-fire distillate has made it into the mix.  I think your menthol and medicinal notes you get adds up to what many call eucalyptus.  Same element, just different names, I think.

I'm confused, there can't be any pre-fire distillate in (at a minimum) the BiBs, can there? The Heaven Hill fire was in 1996 and BiB bourbon must be the product of a single distilling season, so unless these are in actuality 22+ years old, they can't have any pre-fire distillate in them? Or are you saying that the note comes from post-fire HH and I have just read this wrong?

I have a pre-fire Elijah Craig 23 year I have yet to open, but will be interested to closely examine its flavor. In as much as a bourbon that old can be compared to these much younger bourbons anyway. Despite its rarity, I haven't been that excited to open it because I expect it to be too oaky for my taste, but this will up the interest level.

2 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

I'm confused, there can't be any pre-fire distillate in (at a minimum) the BiBs, can there? The Heaven Hill fire was in 1996 and BiB bourbon must be the product of a single distilling season, so unless these are in actuality 22+ years old, they can't have any pre-fire distillate in them? Or are you saying that the note comes from post-fire HH and I have just read this wrong?

I have a pre-fire Elijah Craig 23 year I have yet to open, but will be interested to closely examine its flavor. In as much as a bourbon that old can be compared to these much younger bourbons anyway. Despite its rarity, I haven't been that excited to open it because I expect it to be too oaky for my taste, but this will up the interest level.

I’m speaking in general terms of my experience with HH whiskies over the past 15, or so years as less pre-fire whiskies are melded in, and not specifically to the BIB.  The house note is still there on Bernheim distillate , just not as pronounced IMO.

Cracked this open tonight. It's an 8 year 6 month OBSF.  I'm not a cult member but this barrel is awesome.

20180819_200852-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 1

I'm enjoying regular MM.  With all the wheater hysteria, it's easy to overlook.  This is available to all of us all the time at a reasonable price.    

• I like it 1

Tiny pour (wee dram?) of PHC Promise of Hope followed by WSR. Everything tastes way too sweet tonight, so I'll probably cap with an Islay.

Finished off a Woodinville Whiskey Co. PS Single Barrel for Bob's Liquors, a local store that I helped to pick this barrel. Most of you don't know anything about Woodinville, nor would I expect you to since it isn't distributed very far. This barrel at cask strength of about 120ish was really exceptional. It showed how good these guys can be and shows how good craft can be when it's done right. I happily stocked up on this and look forward to opening the next one. 

• I like it 1

On 8/19/2018 at 7:00 AM, FasterHorses said:

Opened the CEHT BP tonight and gave out a few sample bottles at bday. The nose is fantastic. Love the taste, not harsh or too powerful for 129.7 proof. Not quite what I expected, almost want to say it is similar to OWA but definitely stronger.  will have to revisit on a night where I haven't just enjoyed OWA PS and eaten a bunch of smoked brisket.

enhance

As good as the 128.1 batch ? Best looking sample bottles ever, nicely done! sipping  129 proof at the moment, SOAS cask strength and EHTBP are my favorite BP’s after the GTS of course. Enjoy and cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 1

Been away from the site for a few days.  Let's see, I had some SAOS Sib, FR SmB, MM 46 PS, Old Charter, finished off a bottle of RY 10 y.o., HM Sib BIB, Larceny, RR 6 y.o. Rye, RR SiB, and a few others that I don't remember.

2 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

As good as the 128.1 batch ? Best looking sample bottles ever, nicely done! sipping  129 proof at the moment, SOAS cask strength and EHTBP are my favorite BP’s after the GTS of course. Enjoy and cheers! 

Will.

Thanks Will. This was my first time to try it so i cant say how it compares to older batches. Off work tomorrow so I’m gonna revisit this tonite. One day I’ll get some of those youre talkin about to compare.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Will.

This one is pretty tasty as well, not much left though. Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Barrel Proof (Batch 3 2014) (129 Proof) 

I had a small pour of Knob Creek single barrel. It was a store pick locally. I really enjoy this stuff.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

y4mJiUtK2Bg59DjePmLDEt03Z0T6SN6jcyMw0UFc

Nice one there Kevin.  8 year age stated?  I just found a few of those in my bunker, and was thinking of opening one up for old time's sake.  I remember liking it but not loving it, but those were also the days when store shelves were flush with OWA, ETL, EC12, etc. I also remember the 1792 RR being somewhat looked down upon, but I suspect it might have more appreciation today with the loss of age statements.  I'm curious to see what I think when I open one.

21 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Thanks Will. This was my first time to try it so i cant say how it compares to older batches. Off work tomorrow so I’m gonna revisit this tonite. One day I’ll get some of those youre talkin about to compare.

Can’t go wrong with any of them, maybe batch 4, my least favorite. Never tired the first two batches though, I’m trying so hard to find batch 2, but no success, apparently the first one was hot as hell. If you’ll see one bottle with either 128.1 or 129 proof, go for it, those are phenomenal, to me. 

I need to find this one now, and it’s not available in Europe, wish me luck. Enjoy your bottle, just had some ‘15 GTS and now I’m leaning toward a rye, Kentucky Owl seems like a good choice. 

Cheers! 

Will. 

3 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Nice one there Kevin.  8 year age stated?  I just found a few of those in my bunker, and was thinking of opening one up for old time's sake.  I remember liking it but not loving it, but those were also the days when store shelves were flush with OWA, ETL, EC12, etc. I also remember the 1792 RR being somewhat looked down upon, but I suspect it might have more appreciation today with the loss of age statements.  I'm curious to see what I think when I open one.

I like it better than i remember, I have two of the old ones one AS one not this one is, better than the current 1792 as long as you like sweeter bourbons. 

That Owl is one hell of a pour too. Thank god i have a backup bottle. Cheers!

Will. 

Had a Bulleit at dinner last week. Never had it neat, only in cocktails and it was part of a bundle with a burger and beer happy hour special. It was fine as I expected it would be but nothing I would seek out for home consumption. The place had a nice selection and quite a few patrons were tasting around the menu which was nice to see. The couple next to me ordered a Bib And Tucker the gentleman actually asked for it, not as a pick off the menu. I wonder what his impressions were? We left before It arrived as the concert was starting soon.

• I like it 1

Inspired by Kevin breaking out the 1792 RR, I went deep into the bunker tonight and found something I forgot I had. A store select 9 year old 1792 RR. Bottom line, this is good stuff, but I remember why I was never blown away by 1792 RR at the time.

It’s got some nice oak, and has good flavor, but it has a bit of astringency that brought 1792 RR down a bit. Again, this was at a time (around 2013-2014) when you could pick up roughly 9 year old Elmer T Lee off the shelves whenever you wanted for $25, and that was simply better stuff, along with other readily available bourbons at the time. But anyway, this is a nice blast from the past to open up tonight and have a pour.

D0C07504-8532-4711-BBA0-FB1371D1462B.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.