What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had some time to kill today and found a few things the peaked my interest. Happy shopping this summer!

IMG_8715.JPG

• I like it 3

Got this at a raffle.at my company golf.tournament today in a basket of mlm other stuff. Not.one I'd have bought myself but at least I got a return on my $20 raffle ticket purchase.

20180622_003922-1209x1612.jpg

OK, this is one of those bottles that no matter what the reviews say, I am going to pull the trigger at some time or other. My obsessions rule in these matters at times; here's the shot. Since I did need the decanter, I consider this a $50 bottle with a $25 decanter. They'll be no forgiveness on the next one...

20180622_172127.jpg.c35372e39421feb9a664d1ee0f58dd9f.jpg

• I like it 1

Couldn’t pass up the fatboy twins. Hoping its a good Barrel and will make for a solid summer pour

FE1E0902-EA85-4D47-852B-10D35C512D93.jpeg

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

OK, this is one of those bottles that no matter what the reviews say, I am going to pull the trigger at some time or other. My obsessions rule in these matters at times; here's the shot. Since I did need the decanter, I consider this a $50 bottle with a $25 decanter. They'll be no forgiveness on the next one...

20180622_172127.jpg.c35372e39421feb9a664d1ee0f58dd9f.jpg

It’s not the worst Diageo juice. And, yeah it’s a cool bottle for sure

Sitting outside LB in E'town right now, I'm 4th in line so my first summer purchase is going to be either Stagg Jr., Rockhill or RY 10.

Picked this up last night. Owner said barrel was 8 years old. Haven’t had Kentucky Spirit for a while and looking forward to this. Noticed that it was bottled in 2016 when I got it home, maybe they didn’t sell well? On a side note, the state just tacked on another $5.00 to Kentucky Spirit. Ugh.

35EBC3F0-DA5E-456C-9AFD-26042337A17A.jpeg

6 minutes ago, raymoall said:

Picked this up last night. Owner said barrel was 8 years old. Haven’t had Kentucky Spirit for a while and looking forward to this. Noticed that it was bottled in 2016 when I got it home, maybe they didn’t sell well? On a side note, the state just tacked on another $5.00 to Kentucky Spirit. Ugh.

35EBC3F0-DA5E-456C-9AFD-26042337A17A.jpeg

That must be the retiring bottle surcharge ????. Hang onto the empty as a decanter, may be the last KS you see in that beautiful bottle style.

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Sitting outside LB in E'town right now, I'm 4th in line so my first summer purchase is going to be either Stagg Jr., Rockhill or RY 10.

8 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

What did you pick?

Our latest pick of KC 120 proof arrived yesterday and I must say it is drinking even better than I remember. 10 years old but when we tasted the sample it was better than a 14yo option we had. Still is!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Our latest pick of KC 120 proof arrived yesterday and I must say it is drinking even better than I remember. 10 years old but when we tasted the sample it was better than a 14yo option we had. Still is!

We just got our KC120 pick in yesterday. Except we went with the 14y3m old barrel. The other two were 14y1m, and 10y5m. All were very good, the 10y was 2nd choice. The one we picked is one of the best I’ve ever had. 

1631747D-8DC0-459D-B8E5-550B42B34DAF.thumb.jpeg.e8f2c762a8c0522da40fc844dc8c85f8.jpeg

4 hours ago, LCWoody said:

We just got our KC120 pick in yesterday. Except we went with the 14y3m old barrel. The other two were 14y1m, and 10y5m. All were very good, the 10y was 2nd choice. The one we picked is one of the best I’ve ever had. 

1631747D-8DC0-459D-B8E5-550B42B34DAF.thumb.jpeg.e8f2c762a8c0522da40fc844dc8c85f8.jpeg

The Beam mashbill, yeast, aging, etc. holds up quite well across a range of ages and proofs.  I am not sure how they determine what ends up in the KC bottles compared to Bookers or Bakers...but I like all three.  With KC, I like the NAS just as well as I did the 9-year age stated.  I also find I like some 9 year old KCSB and also some 14 year old KCSB.  Good is good, regardless of age or proof.

About once every 3 or 4 months, I stock up on some regulars as well as a few outliers.  I fill in purchases of single bottles of different offerings when they become available (e.g., HMcK10, ECBP, etc.).  Thanks to a fellow SBer (PaulO), I hit the southside of Indy for a 30% off sale at Kroger.  My local Kroger has a similar sell but less selection.  Anyway, I ended up with several FRSB @ $23.78, MMCS @ $35.67, Rare Breed @ $26.57, KCSB @ $28.67.  I only mention the prices because I am one cheap bastard and I like a bargain.  I had enough left over for an Arni's Pizza, dinner at BW3 for the family, and a bourbon shopping trip in Lexington next week.

• I like it 4

I normally never drink ryes, but do have a small number of them in the collection. I've heard good things about the Knob Creek cask strength rye and picked it up today. Cracked it this afternoon while cooking and I must say it's pretty good. I think the mashbill must have more corn in it, since it's not too spicy, and has some sweetness I like as more of a bourbon fan. Great mouthfeel and a really nice finish. Not too bad for $69.99.

9 minutes ago, silverc said:

I normally never drink ryes, but do have a small number of them in the collection. I've heard good things about the Knob Creek cask strength rye and picked it up today. Cracked it this afternoon while cooking and I must say it's pretty good. I think the mashbill must have more corn in it, since it's not too spicy, and has some sweetness I like as more of a bourbon fan. Great mouthfeel and a really nice finish. Not too bad for $69.99.

Awesome!  Just curious, have you tried the KCSB Rye (115 proof)?  I wonder how it compares to the cask strength which is typically about 4 proof points higher (119 v. 115).  I haven't seen the cask strength but have seen plenty of the 115 proof single barrel.

Edited by mbroo5880i

8 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

What did you pick?

And the winner was . . . Rockhill Farms, and because there were so few people in line I got back in line and picked up a Stagg Jr., then got back in line and picked up a RY 10 y.o. and then got in line but didn't see anything else up front that I wanted.  Getting ready to head home when I saw a guy going towards the front of the store with a Blanton's so I asked if they had anymore and the very nice lady went to the back and come back with a bottle.  Here is my total haul for the day.

Resized_20180623_102934_1552.jpg

Edited by CardsandBourbon
  • I like it 4

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Well the price of curiosity is apparently $105. 

y4md1o2rVKlky9J0SEsrBN-knwsOKcmOejY6GS-m

Locally its $200. I wasn't that curious.

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

Locally its $200. I wasn't that curious.

I had seen a few others all over $200, I'm sure that played into the decision somewhat some misguided belief that I got a "deal".

• I like it 1

On 6/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Funny you should mention that!

I just did a tasting of samples with my local last night and we also had a 10yr old and two 14yr olds. The 10yr old was the most balanced of the three. One of the 14yr olds was close behind but the 10 was best.

Finally found one for $139. I was hesitant about chasing it, but after such a glowing review from our good buddy RareBird, and being a Wild Turkey groupie, I had to do it. Also found Longbranch for $35 which I grabbed. The irony is I can’t drink either for a few more days but the nose on Revival is......divine.

5C1BFD99-DA06-4CC1-9AF1-741471D6657D.jpeg

thats me done buying for a while too.  vegas trip to look forward to later in the year.

IMG_0793.JPG

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.