What Bourbon did you purchase today (summer 2018)

mfly86
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm out of town (Des Moines) for work for the next 11 days. I just bought some ER10 for $39 OTD. I know it's more than it should be, but it's pretty difficult to find back in STL, plus the selection at the store here was fairly limited. 

I brought a bottle of Rare Breed with me in case I couldn't find anything I wanted. 

Picked up a bunch of stuff over the last few days:

Michter's 10

Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye

Rossville Union Barrel Proof

Bone Snapper - 4 year Reserve Rye

I got lucky today. I am in Rehoboth Beach, DE and on the shelf I found two Bookers 2015-1 (Big Man Small Batch). I didn't hesitate and purchased both...one of my top 2 round table Bookers. My favorite being "Center Cut." I also found a Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye. The same store was selling the Old Fitzgerald 11 year BIB but I left that behind for a number of reasons...main one being taste, another the $300 price tag.

Went into a new store and hit jackpot on a lot of items. 2 bottles of 4R SBPS at $50. 2 bottles of EC SB Loch & K(e)y selection aged 12yrs at $34. 1 bottle each of OWA and RRSB, both a Loch & K(e)y selection. Left the store a very happy man today. Look for some new bottles being opened tomorrow!!

Wasn't planning on it, but happened to come across 2 bottles of Baker's at a price I couldn't refuse, so went ahead and picked both of them up.  Starting to get a decent backstock of this one, quite possibly the last gap remaining in my bunker, ha :- )

My wife and I entered a lotto at a local store here, not expecting to win anything I was surprised when I got the call. My wife won a Michter's 10 and I won a CEHT 4 Grain!!! Went and picked up both at retail, $190 or so with tax out the door. I've never been so excited to get a bottle of whiskey in my life.

The 4 Grain is very good. It exemplifies everything I expect out of the CEHT line, smooth, easy to drink with no real faults but complex and interesting too.

The Michter's 10 was more of a surprise for me. I had a pour of this at a bar one time and was underwhelmed. Now I'm wondering if they gave me a pour of the regular Micther's on accident or if there is just a lot of batch variance. This one is excellent, it's clear that there is bourbon significantly older than 10 years in this and I'm getting a decent amount of oak and leather, more like I would expect out of a 15-20 year bourbon. I'm liking this one more than the 4 Grain so far which is a little surprising, but both are great.

34963676_10105455196888670_1551662342767378432_o.jpg

36224893_10105455194428600_4517706769576755200_o.jpg

• I like it 4

Congrats on the liquor store lottery wins! I also think they are both great bourbons.

• I like it 1

Wild Turkey Kentucky Sprit, Binny's Barrel #18-0698

Old Forester Single Barrel, Binny's Barrel #3

And maybe inherited a Stagg Jr batch 8 that I had picked up for a friend several months ago, who may have changed his mind. I won't complain.

• I like it 2

Bought a bottle of EHT Straight Rye. Haven't cracked it open yet as I have too many partials right now, but I'm looking forward to it!

39 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

✌️❤️????

A50D3799-EE81-413D-A66B-B8ED11F8112D.jpeg

Would love to try this sadly its to far out of my price range. 

8 hours ago, Mako254 said:

✌️❤️????

A50D3799-EE81-413D-A66B-B8ED11F8112D.jpeg

Congrats on the bottle.  That looks pretty fantastic.  Sadly I heard that it wasn't going to even make it to VA which moves my really small lottery chance to zero.

Costco has gotten into the barrel picking game and given Costco prices, my own curiosity, and that they chose barrels from my two favorite places I had to buy a bottle of the Russell's Reserve barrel they bought for my local Costco and two bottles of Four Roses OBSQ that a friend grabbed for me from his local Costco.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, berto said:

Costco has gotten into the barrel picking game and given Costco prices, my own curiosity, and that they chose barrels from my two favorite places I had to buy a bottle of the Russell's Reserve barrel they bought for my local Costco and two bottles of Four Roses OBSQ that a friend grabbed for me from his local Costco.

What is Costco charging for the OBSQ?  If it's below $60, I may have to renew my membership...

16 minutes ago, fosmith said:

What is Costco charging for the OBSQ?  If it's below $60, I may have to renew my membership...

I think California is one of the states where you aren't allowed to have private alcohol clubs, therefor Costco allows alcohol purchases without a membership.  I'm not positive though.

9 minutes ago, Jav said:

I think California is one of the states where you aren't allowed to have private alcohol clubs, therefor Costco allows alcohol purchases without a membership.  I'm not positive though.

I just looked this up and you're right.  You can purchase alcohol at Costco in CA without a membership per state law.  Thanks for the tip. 

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

I just looked this up and you're right.  You can purchase alcohol at Costco in CA without a membership per state law.  Thanks for the tip. 

That is apparently the law in MO as well but good luck actually doing it. We tried it at a Sam's Club and the cashier had no way of processing a sale without a membership. Didn't feel like fighting the fight that day.

3 minutes ago, Clueby said:

That is apparently the law in MO as well but good luck actually doing it. We tried it at a Sam's Club and the cashier had no way of processing a sale without a membership. Didn't feel like fighting the fight that day.

The article I read said that you will probably have to ask the cashier get the manager to approve the purchase. 

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

OBSQ was $56 before tax.  No membership needed for booze but you can't purchase anything else.  My buddy got the bottles at Foster City.  Not sure what/if other stores have it.  Richmond did not.

I found a store selection BT this afternoon while wandering through the supermarket liquor department. As usual, no barrel number or bottling date but it tastes just fine by me. It went well with my current investigation of the Bakersfield Sound in country music.

Well...technically it's rye. 

20180704_102707.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

Had a family member that went through Louisville last weekend asked if they could stop at total wine and pick me up a couple bottles. 

IMG_0247.JPG

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Barrel Aged Buckeye said:

Had a family member that went through Louisville last weekend asked if they could stop at total wine and pick me up a couple bottles. 

Should've got a few more of the HHBiB's :) 

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Should've got a few more of the HHBiB's :) 

I really should have but I didn't know they was sale for 9.99 till I got the receipt. 

3 minutes ago, Barrel Aged Buckeye said:

I really should have but I didn't know they was sale for 9.99 till I got the receipt. 

Wow! That's buy a case or 3 kind of pricing. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.