Barton Collapse

Fishin49er
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now I could never be sure, but I thought that I heard the sound of "Taps" being played, gently.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Fishin49er said:

So does this mean we are going to see an overpriced "collapse surviving" LE in the future?

Of course, because surviving a collapse will definitely make it taste at least 3-4x better B)

They will let it age in the summer sun while they repair the rickhouse...then "discover" that the anamoly created a superior product dubbed 1792 Rickhouse Surviving....

I suspect "sabatoge". 

3 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Now I could never be sure, but I thought that I heard the sound of "Taps" being played, gently.

HA!    Good one, CUfan99! 

Nice CS reference.     I'm with ya'.     Brings a tear to one's eye and can't ever be anything but sad, I guess.

• I like it 3

I foresee the fish in the local creek running into rocks and other debris. What a damn shame. My wife and I toured there last summer. That corn mash aroma drew us in like moths to a flame.

Edited by ondarocks

Wow.  Good thing nobody was in there.  

1 hour ago, Freakdog said:

They will let it age in the summer sun while they repair the rickhouse...then "discover" that the anamoly created a superior product dubbed 1792 Rickhouse Surviving....

I suspect "sabatoge". 

Isn't that called Tornado Surviving? Oops, different disaster, same result = LE

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

HA!    Good one, CUfan99! 

Nice CS reference.     I'm with ya'.     Brings a tear to one's eye and can't ever be anything but sad, I guess.

As I was scrolling through this thread, when I saw that I thought "The old man's gonna love that!"

Glad that no one was hurt, and hope that the number of barrels lost are minimal.  And really hope the other half stays standing!!  

Although I have to admit . . . I would love to know how the back lot of the General Nelson smells right about now; as the smell of 'Barton cooking' (despite learning that isn't what it really is) is one of the most marvelous scents in the world. 

• I like it 1

The angels wept today...anticipating missing their "share".  We're all weeping.

I hope the Barton folks can minimize their loss without further endangering anyone.

According to news stories, about 11am Friday, June 22, 2018, one of the rickhouses on Barton distillery's property in Bardstown partially collapsed. About 9-10,000 barrels were affected out of the approximately 20,000 stored in the building. 

According to a story on the Louisville Courier-Journal web site, "Engineers were on site Friday to secure the remaining warehouse structure and contain what was involved in the collapse. The Environmental Protection Agency was also there to evaluate any impact the spill had on the warehouse surroundings. Initial water samples came back clean."

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/life/food/spirits/bourbon/2018/06/22/kentucky-distillery-barton-1792-collapses/725686002/

Hmmmmm...so we can expect to see a limited edition 1792 Collapsed Warehouse edition or something similar in the future.  I'm sure the barrels falling violently and then being exposed to the elements will give it a unique flavor profile.

• I like it 6

Oh yeah, there's a limited edition or two in that pile.  I hear the lower pile barrels age better because they're not in direct sunlight - that's one.  Another could be those 5 barrels at the top - "Pile Topper" LE Barton - Limited to only 5 barrels that bravely stayed perched atop the pile blah, blah, blah...

Can you make up a good backstory for a LE based on the disaster or the photo?

(Pic from Cowdery Blog)

image.png.0e8a90bfb38b49312506a05c9a10339a.png

Edited by jvd99
  • I like it 1

Truly funny yet slightly cynical jokes aside, I wonder how much stock was actually lost, and what if any effect this will have on future availability. That and the mentions of a stream of bourbon are giving me a bad reminder of the Heaven Hill fire. Hope this is cleaned up quickly with minimal danger or loss. 

Truly funny yet slightly cynical jokes aside, I wonder how much stock was actually lost, and what if any effect this will have on future availability. That and the mentions of a stream of bourbon are giving me a bad reminder of the Heaven Hill fire. Hope this is cleaned up quickly with minimal danger or loss. 
I read that 9 to 11K barrels, of the 20K that were in the rickhouse. Not sure if they'll lose all of them but I would expect most of them will have some type of damage

I could see those at the top of the still standing structure exposed (similar to the Tornado Surviving CEHT) being one LE, vs those that fell - and had additional agitation as well as exposure.  I'll bet that really does do something to the flavor.  Now since placement within the rickhouse has a big impact on flavor and ultimate brand/label destiny, wouldn't they have to put the recovered barrels back where they were (those that were at the top have to go back to the top, etc)?  Or maybe that's where they say "Screw it - this will be a 'not so limited, but priced like a limited' version that mingles all the bourbon"?  That would certainly take less logistical planning.  Plus I suppose the agitation and exposure likely impacts what they could be when they grow up either way (can't assume it would be a good fit for whatever it was going to go into).

I'll admit that I'd pay a premium to try bourbon from a barrel that fell a few stories and survived.  Which will start a new trend (can you imagine the big stunt-person air pillows inflated next to some craft distillery where they push barrels off the roof to achieve the same result?) :D 

Will be interesting to see how a collapse will affect profile vs a tornado.

7 hours ago, oknazevad said:

I would guess zero to little impact on availability. Barton sells to NDP's and has a number of secondary brands and that is the likely place any loss of stock would be felt. Barton's primary brands will be fine.

5 hours ago, Three quarks said:

I wonder about the remaining structures built in the same fashion. And I sure wouldn't want the task of unloading the 2nd half of that one.

I might  be up for such a contract.... IF I could select 1-barrel from every 100 as part of my compensation.  !HA!    ...And, you may rest assured I'd be tasting through every barrel!

6 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I might  be up for such a contract.... IF I could select 1-barrel from every 100 as part of my compensation.  !HA!    ...And, you may rest assured I'd be tasting through every barrel!

Uh, if you need any help. I just happen to have a bunch of plastic tasting glasses handy - about 200.

• I like it 1

Just now, Harry in WashDC said:

Uh, if you need any help. I just happen to have a bunch of plastic tasting glasses handy - about 200.

You and me, Harry!    I'll meet ya' in Bardstown tomorrow.   How can they turn us down, eh?    Oh, wait.    I have a Grad party tomorrow.    Never mind.

Doesn't Barton/1792 keep Brandy, as well Bourbon... and, maybe other spirits that require aging?     I know they bottle a large and varied list of other spirits for many brands other than their own Barton and 1792.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.