EU 25% new tariff

anthony. g.
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Seems like theres going to be a new tariff on american liquor/whiskey/bourbon. on EU imorts

any info on what's going to happen apart from my allready expensive  drink of choice getting a big price hike.

Edited by anthony. g.

12 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Maybe more for us then

Yea, my wife said she heard an interview with one of the distillery reps (she didn't remember which or who, only that is what a woman, so BT maybe?), in any event that spokeswoman confirmed as much, that she expected more to be available stateside.

In a roundabout way, the tariffs may turn out OK for us bourbon lovers, but please don’t accuse me of saying Trump can do no wrong :o

2 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Yea, my wife said she heard an interview with one of the distillery reps (she didn't remember which or who, only that is what a woman, so BT maybe?), in any event that spokeswoman confirmed as much, that she expected more to be available stateside.

Hmmm...

Dear EU:

Please make it 50%.  

Thanks, 

JOE

Dear President Trump:

Please increse Tariffs on cravats to 500%.

Thanks, 

JOE

4 hours ago, anthony. g. said:

Seems like theres going to be a new tariff on american liquor/whiskey/bourbon. on EU imorts

any info on what's going to happen apart from my allready expensive  drink of choice getting a big price hike.

As we've seen, U.S. policy can change overnight.  So, this may not be forever.   And all of the tariff may not be passed on initially.  Some may be absorbed by shippers, distributors, and retailers in order to maintain market share.

1 minute ago, Madhatter said:

As we've seen, U.S. policy can change overnight.  So, this may not be forever.   And all of the tariff may not be passed on initially.  Some may be absorbed by shippers, distributors, and retailers in order to maintain market share.

Yeah, the three tier distribution system may make appreciable increases availability in product without appreciable increases in price less likely.

3 minutes ago, Madhatter said:

Solid observation!  Particularly, your last sentence.  That “absorption” is done all of the time.  

9 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Maybe more for us then

nothing like sticking the boot in. lol

in all seriousness, i think you will be right.

Edited by anthony. g.

Anyone noticed whether their favorite international retailers have increased the price on Blantons gold or sftb? The site I checked is now out of stock. 

39 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Anyone noticed whether their favorite international retailers have increased the price on Blantons gold or sftb? The site I checked is now out of stock. 

Everyone loading up before the tariff goes into effect.

Doesn't a tariff discourage exports (on purpose), and create a surplus in the host country?  That would be great, and reduce our prices state side, except - the only bourbon you find over seas is Jack Daniels, and maybe Makers Mark and Bookers, pretty much the only bourbon exports of any size.  Oh, and I guess costs will go up on Canadian, Irish, and Scotch whiskeys.  I'll miss Red Breast and Teelings...

Edited by musekatcher

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Everyone loading up before the tariff goes into effect.

I had the same thought of bunkering but I’ve got one spare of sftb and wasn’t motivated enough. Apparently others were. 

3 hours ago, musekatcher said:

Doesn't a tariff discourage exports (on purpose), and create a surplus in the host country?  That would be great, and reduce our prices state side, except - the only bourbon you find over seas is Jack Daniels, and maybe Makers Mark and Bookers, pretty much the only bourbon exports of any size.  Oh, and I guess costs will go up on Canadian, Irish, and Scotch whiskeys.  I'll miss Red Breast and Teelings...

Not necessarily. Remember, it’s a tax, so the price goes up to the European customer but Beam and BF and other distilleries don’t see increased profits from the increased prices. Take it a step further and if european sales go down, what will the distillery do to make up the lost revenue and profit from exports? No way to tell until it happens, but raising prices domestically isn’t inconceivable. 

Edited by Charlutz

Many of the big guys moved extra inventory before the tariffs wen't into effect, Brown Forman confirmed they did, the biggest impact will be on the Craft Brands some of which rely heavily on the European market. Considering that many of the spirits companies are multi-national conglomerates I wonder what impact that has on the tariffs, in the case of Blanton's will Age International brands have less impact since they are Japanese owned.

I think (but don’t know for certain) that the tariffs are assessed based on where product is made. There’s an announcement today that Harley Davidson is moving some production to Europe to avoid some of the tariffs which would increase price of each motorcycle sold in EU (HD’s second biggest market) by about $2200. If that holds true for bourbon, unless it’s made overseas (and therefore not bourbon), it gets hit. EU and Chinese responses were specifically targeted to iconic American brands as well as agriculture, hitting states that voted for Trump. All's fair in love and trade wars I guess. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.