Angels Envy Rum Barrel finish

PiraSea
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Its always interesting some of the marketing games these folks play...

I saw this one in the LS today and it was $90. The bottle said that it comes from a 95% rye mashbill finished in "Caribbean Rum Barrel's". The wording on the bottle depicted how "rare" it is.

So we know the 95% rye mashbill is a 2 year old MGP. We also know that Bacardi now owns Angels Envy. So MGP has that 95 rye coming out of their ears... same goes for Bacardi with rum barrels. These things and $90 + "rare" don't really compute... but hey I'm probably not the guy they are after with this marketing. 

I'm not trashing it but its funny to see the marketing sometimes. 

Are there a lot of rum finished ryes around?  

• I like it 1

My recollection is that it's 6 years old and finished in Plantation XO Rum barrels, I also think I like it quite a bit and there isn't anything like it on the market. It made me believe that Jefferson's Rum Finished Bourbon might be good and I was foolish enough to buy a bottle of that mess, so there is one strike against it.  Also the bottle shape sucks when your trying to fit it in with others in the cabinet so two strikes. Retail here is $70 but every once in a while I see it for $60-$65 and that is when I tend to buy it.  

• I like it 2

It's a little too sweet for my tastes, but I know some people really like this.  While it's definitely MGP rye it is a very unique product.

Its one of the few finished rye/bourbons that I like, it has a great gingerbread taste to it. I usually drink it around Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I don't think its a daily drinker.     

• I like it 2

• 3 months later...

Lately this has been my favorite rye and Total Wine usually has it in stock for much less than $90 so I'm stocked up.  My SAOS Rye is sitting on the shelf waiting for a special occasion to taste. --- sorry guys, I misread the title and was thinking about AE Rye, not bourbon.  So, to be on topic I think the Rum finished bottle it is a decent $50 bourbon have enjoyed it this past summer.

Edited by BoyScout
wrong forum

I noticed a major flavor change from the first batches to the current ones on the shelf.  The first batches had a much larger rum influence that I thought complimented the rye very well and I really enjoyed the gingerbread notes.  The current batches that I've tried show much less rum influence and the rye tastes a lot younger to me giving a pine sol floor cleaner finish that I just can't get into.

• I like it 1

I bought nearly a case of the first release and love it. I went into a local store and they had it and regular AE at $45. I told the owner I thought he had mispriced it. He informed me that he knew how to run his store so I bought all they had. Never regretted it.

30 minutes ago, Enoch said:

I told the owner I thought he had mispriced it. He informed me that he knew how to run his store so I bought all they had. Never regretted it.

You try to be a nice guy to the owner and he acts like a dick so you clean him out. Good for you! It'd be interesting to know if he ever realized his mistake :P

I was excited to see this on the shelf last year.  I bought 3 bottles.  Opened one and was not a fan...  The rum imho was way overdone and completely overpowered the whiskey.   The rum influence was sticky sweet and not enjoyable, to me.  I ended up gifting the 2 other bottles.  Imho, It is more of an aperitif or a dessert liquor in my mind.  Bottom line, I was very disappointed for a $90 bottle.  I will be allocating my funds elsewhere this year.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 12:48 PM, GreggJ said:

I was excited to see this on the shelf last year.  I bought 3 bottles.  Opened one and was not a fan...  The rum imho was way overdone and completely overpowered the whiskey.   The rum influence was sticky sweet and not enjoyable, to me.  I ended up gifting the 2 other bottles.  Imho, It is more of an aperitif or a dessert liquor in my mind.  Bottom line, I was very disappointed for a $90 bottle.  I will be allocating my funds elsewhere this year.  

This was more or less my experience with the one bottle I bought. It verged on cloyingly sweet with the rum taking over, and not the interesting sort of rum flavors that I would expect out of FourSquare, St Lucia, etc, but the artificial sweetness of a bad rum. I enjoyed it sometimes and sometimes could not stand it. Friends, especially my less experienced whiskey buddies tended to like it more than me. It's smooth and easy to drink, almost like a liqueur or a bottled mix drink. Add bitters and some orange zest and you'll have an Old Fashioned (skip the sugar).

It's hard to recommend it at the price point, unless you're a fan of very sweet liquor.

Edited by EarthQuake

On 10/30/2018 at 1:48 PM, GreggJ said:

This matches my thoughts as well.  Just thought it was too sweet of a whiskey for me.  I'm glad I tried it and I keep it on the bar as people who don't mind something sweeter will likely enjoy it.  I'm also in the camp that thinks they use a flavoring component as well as it's suspicious that it's not labeled straight (and I would think that it's at least 2 years old).

This bottle is syrupy sweet and I don’t think the strong rum influence complements the rye very well. I’m glad I tried it at a bar first.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.