What bottle(s) did you open today? Summer 2018

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night opened Barrell Whiskey batch 5.  My wife got it for me as a birthday gift (she's a keeper!). Very light in color - must have spent little or no time in new, charred barrels.  Nose reminds me of Mellow Corn - probably a good amount of corn whiskey in it - but much more complex. Very spicy and complex on the palate and somewhat hot with a long finish.  Lots of fruit and spice notes from the different finishing barrels they used.  A very unique and interesting whiskey. 

^^^^It's a used barrel, therefore barrel whiskey (instead of barrel bourbon).  It too, am a fan...

Cracked a bottle I got recently on a trip to Michigan from a local craft distiller. Iron Fish bourbon finished in Maple Syrup Barrels. 86 proof. It's pretty good, although you can tell it is young. No age is given, and it's not listed a straight bourbon, so I assume it's a year or less. The maple syrup finish does offer some complexity, and of course added sweetness. This has good viscosity/mouth feel for only 86 proof. Not sure if I would buy another bottle, but it is interesting. They also have a tawny port finished bourbon that would be interesting to try sometime too.

7 hours ago, silverc said:

They also have a tawny port finished bourbon that would be interesting to try sometime too.

I'm usually not into the gimmicky stuff, but I love some port wine, and that sounds delicious.

Blanton's Loch & K(e)y single barrel from Julio's Liquors. Needless to say....it is good.

• I like it 1

I now have some room on my "open" shelf, so I reckon I'm just gonna have to live up to my sb nickname. :P Weller whore that I am, I'm going old school, with the exception of the 2017 WLW. On deck, and very soon to be opened along side the aforementioned 2017 WLW are a paper label OWA, a 1 liter paper label Weller SR, and an older (non embossed wheat)  Weller 12. 

FWIW, thanks to a fellow member here I had the privilege to sample (on a number of occasions) a paper label ps Weller 12. I can only wistfully dream about that now. Still, I think the one I have will be more than sufficient. :)

Biba! Joe

weller.jpeg

• I like it 5

I like this one. Would prefer the cask strength one, but this will do for now.
9C7E4A3A-2CC3-45DF-BF0D-2EF516FB074A.thumb.jpeg.4c5c93795de12489e2c0f27214ee92e9.jpeg

Bought it for the first time this week myself and really liked it.
  • I like it 1

On 8/16/2018 at 4:39 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I now have some room on my "open" shelf, so I reckon I'm just gonna have to live up to my sb nickname. :P Weller whore that I am, I'm going old school, with the exception of the 2017 WLW. On deck, and very soon to be opened along side the aforementioned 2017 WLW are a paper label OWA, a 1 liter paper label Weller SR, and an older (non embossed wheat)  Weller 12. 

FWIW, thanks to a fellow member here I had the privilege to sample (on a number of occasions) a paper label ps Weller 12. I can only wistfully dream about that now. Still, I think the one I have will be more than sufficient. :)

Biba! Joe

weller.jpeg

OK...........You can't see me right now but I have genuflected and bowed down to this altar of amazeballs. 

Couldn’t resist opening this right up, and boy did it not disappoint. Checks every box, excellent stuff.

45F4930E-D0D0-4912-8383-F5FB02CA03B2.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 8/16/2018 at 7:39 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

weller.jpeg

Joe, would you be willing to adopt me?  You know I'm a Weller Slut so I would fit right in with your family.  Just think about it, OK?

24 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Joe, would you be willing to adopt me?  You know I'm a Weller Slut so I would fit right in with your family.  Just think about it, OK?

I dunno Kevin. :mellow: Normally, a request such as yours would be an unequivocal no. Still, you just never can tell. :huh:  Seeing as how Weller Antique isn't quite my nephews "cup of tea",  I might be willing to consider it. :P 

On to the topic at hand; Weller whore that I am, and having opened all the bottles I previously posted about, one would tend to think I'd be happy and wouldn't have to open anything else. Maybe not. I had a really decent day at work for a change, especially for a Monday. For some strange reason, when I got home from work, I had a hankering for some HPR. So I opened my one and only bottle and had a very healthy pour. (or two) What can I say? :wacko:

Biba! Joe

hpr.jpeg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Don't do it Joe. Your wife is a sweetheart, but I don't think she'd put up with two whores/sluts in her house :D

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Seeing as how Weller Antique isn't quite my nephews "cup of tea",  I might be willing to consider it. :P 

hpr.jpeg

Man, I hope this doesn't mean I'm kicked out. :o

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Man, I hope this doesn't mean I'm kicked out. :o

Well, like I told Kevin, you just never know.  Muwahhhhahaaahaaa!  -_-

Biba! Joe

Man, I hope this doesn't mean I'm kicked out. [emoji33]

Hell hath no fury like the Weller Whore scorned! [emoji6]
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I dunno Kevin. :mellow: Normally, a request such as yours would be an unequivocal no. Still, you just never can tell. :huh:  Seeing as how Weller Antique isn't quite my nephews "cup of tea",  I might be willing to consider it. :P 

On to the topic at hand; Weller whore that I am, and having opened all the bottles I previously posted about, one would tend to think I'd be happy and wouldn't have to open anything else. Maybe not. I had a really decent day at work for a change, especially for a Monday. For some strange reason, when I got home from work, I had a hankering for some HPR. So I opened my one and only bottle and had a very healthy pour. (or two) What can I say? :wacko:

Biba! Joe

hpr.jpeg

I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I'll bring a strong dowry to the family.

Just remember Joe, if you do decide to go the adoption route 1) I was the first to ask and 2)  This is what I can bring to the family.

BOURBON_CABINET.jpg

STASH.jpg

BACK_BAR.jpg

Just now, CardsandBourbon said:

Just remember Joe, if you do decide to go the adoption route 1) I was the first to ask and 2)  This is what I can bring to the family.

BOURBON_CABINET.jpg

STASH.jpg

BACK_BAR.jpg

Hell, I cant compete with that. I fold.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.