6 year label coming off HH ?

cdcdguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone know if this is typically carried in Kentucky supermarkets or CVS/pharmacy type stores? I have been wanting to grab some, but I have my kids with me, so I am restricted on what stores I can go in.

6 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

Anyone know if this is typically carried in Kentucky supermarkets or CVS/pharmacy type stores? I have been wanting to grab some, but I have my kids with me, so I am restricted on what stores I can go in.

Yes but this is dependent on County. Though as I haven't been to KY in a couple years now my info may be outdated. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

Can I ask if you just dont want to expose your kids to a liquor store environment or is there a law in KY that they can't enter?

15 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Can I ask if you just dont want to expose your kids to a liquor store environment or is there a law in KY that they can't enter?

IN - no one under 21 years old allowed into liquor store.

Grocery store or pharmacy that sells alcohol - no problem.

Also, no cold beer in pharmacy or grocery store; only liquor store.

No cold soft drinks in liquor store, but vending machine outside large liquor stores.

Welcome to the Bible belt.

4 minutes ago, PaulO said:

IN - no one under 21 years old allowed into liquor store.

Grocery store or pharmacy that sells alcohol - no problem.

Also, no cold beer in pharmacy or grocery store; only liquor store.

No cold soft drinks in liquor store, but vending machine outside large liquor stores.

Welcome to the Bible belt.

Was not aware of that in IN but I don't believe that is the law in KY from what I could find.

Actually, I am not sure if Kentucky allows kids in liquor stores. Indiana doesn't, and I have never seen children in the Kentucky stores I have been in, so I just assumed it was not allowed. I do know that Kentucky liquor laws vary a lot by county though, so it may be permitted in some areas and not others.

At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, I think sometimes we worry too much about a number. An age statement for the sake of an age statement is no guarantee of superior quality. 4 years in the top of warehouse b might be better than 6 years at the bottom of warehouse A. By getting rid of the age statement the master distiller or master blender has more latitude to co mingle casks to achieve a desired taste profile. Additionally it helps keep the costs in line. The bottom line is there is a lot of great brown water out there, much of it affordable. If you don't like whats in the bottle don't buy it.  Honestly, as long as it is straight bourbon or rye with no age statement, I have no qualms about trying it. 

At the end of the day a number is just a number.   

18 minutes ago, Old Hippie said:

At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, I think sometimes we worry too much about a number. An age statement for the sake of an age statement is no guarantee of superior quality. 4 years in the top of warehouse b might be better than 6 years at the bottom of warehouse A. By getting rid of the age statement the master distiller or master blender has more latitude to co mingle casks to achieve a desired taste profile. Additionally it helps keep the costs in line. The bottom line is there is a lot of great brown water out there, much of it affordable. If you don't like whats in the bottle don't buy it.  Honestly, as long as it is straight bourbon or rye with no age statement, I have no qualms about trying it. 

At the end of the day a number is just a number.   

Yes, you make obvious and good points, but the HH6 is markedly better than it’s younger 4 year BIB siblings by most accounts (me included).

That said, I (nearly) totally discount these type of rumors heard in liquor stores.  

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yes, you make obvious and good points, but the HH6 is markedly better than it’s younger 4 year BIB siblings by most accounts (me included).

That said, I (nearly) totally discount these type of rumors heard in liquor stores.  

Totally agree with you on BIBs in that there is no ability to blend different aged whiskeys with them. I think BIBs are the best way to compare distilleries to each other.

I'm with Joe on this. There's a big difference between HH6 and its 4yr old counterparts.

I agree in general that a number is not a guarantee of quality. OGDBIB tastes fine to me at ostensibly 4yrs old. There are some instances though, when you are at the bottom end of when bourbon starts to really taste good, where it does matter. In talking about Heaven Hill, this is one of those times.

Edited by smokinjoe
Multitasking FU...

21 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

Actually, I am not sure if Kentucky allows kids in liquor stores. Indiana doesn't, and I have never seen children in the Kentucky stores I have been in, so I just assumed it was not allowed. I do know that Kentucky liquor laws vary a lot by county though, so it may be permitted in some areas and not others.

I don't know about all of them, but I have seen kids in Party Source and have taken kids in with us when visiting the area. I thought the kids would have thought it was cool to go into a liquor store, but they really didn't care :(

The Party Source does have a small grocery section, so it could be a possible exemption due to that. Likely kids are allowed in some places. 

I had forgotten about the Kentucky drive thru liquor stores, so I went that route. Much easier with kids anyway. I should have asked about taking the kids in, but I didn't think to. The price on the HHBIB has really shot up. Last year I got some for $12; I paid $16 yesterday.

It’s still a good deal at $16. Much more than that and it’s just a good bourbon at a good price, not a good bourbon at an incredible price like it was. 

• I like it 1

Enjoying this tonite on vacation..tastes almost identical to my EC B517.  I think im on a quest to bunker many of these when i get back home.

Just went to my favorite local this afternoon, and right beside six bottles of 6 year age stated HHBIB was a stack of non age stated heaven hill white label bottles.  They looked very similiar to the HH6YO but without the age statement, and upon further perusal, said "Aged for 36 months" on the back of the bottle.  Anyone know the story with this?  I ended up buying the last 6 HH6YO they had just in case.

2 minutes ago, stickly said:

Just went to my favorite local this afternoon, and right beside six bottles of 6 year age stated HHBIB was a stack of non age stated heaven hill white label bottles.  They looked very similiar to the HH6YO but without the age statement, and upon further perusal, said "Aged for 36 months" on the back of the bottle.  Anyone know the story with this?  I ended up buying the last 6 HH6YO they had just in case.

Was it the 80-proof version?

16 minutes ago, mosugoji64 said:

Was it the 80-proof version?

I believe that is the same stuff as the old black label.  80 proof, 36 months, under $10.  The new 80 proof has a white with green label that looks a lot like the 6BIB.

^^^Yep. 

Given the similarity it's a bit confusing, but the label change (which looks exactly like the BIB on the shelf) took place well over a year ago. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.