Basil Hayden Two by Two

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Havent seen it discussed but saw it everywhere today. 80 proof and a mix of two bourbons and two ryes.  Looked like $49. Any reviews yet? 

I don't think there's much interest in that one here so it may be a while until someone takes one for the team and tries it.

Well, I would not describe it as "taking one for the team," but I did try it. At the Lexington Costco, bought a bottle of regular BH for Mrs. F because she likes it as a light summer sipper. On the shelf was the 2x2 at what seemed to be a reasonable price for a "what the hell, I'll take a chance." As I recall, it was mid-$30s. Would not have paid $49 on a whim. And still would not pay $49.

Tasted in a Glencairn. Bright golden color with decent legs. (Still, no Betty Grable. But legs are not an issue with me.) First impression: Lots of rye. Second impression: Lots of rye. Nice, rich mouthfeel. Which is important to me. Trouble is, there is not much more I can say in its favor. On my palate, not much complexity. I was looking for layers of flavor and did not find them. When I say I got lots of rye, I don't mean the whole gamut of rye spice cooking flavors. Just rye--as in bread. A little caramel and vanilla.

Added exactly 3 drops with a medicine dropper. Made it somewhat richer in texture and opened it up a little. A very little.

Added a cube of ice. Very nice easy summer sipping. Which, after all, was the intent behind buying BH in the first place. 

Bottom line: I still think of BH as the bourbon for Scotch people who may be willing to take a wild chance on a bourbon. The 2x2 is unobjectionable and inoffensive. Please do something to offend me. Or, at least wake me up.

I don't know how much of my reaction is to the fact that it is only 80 proof. I don't think your expectations should be too high when dealing with 80 proof.

The good news, at least they did not pretend that mingling 2 bourbons with 2 ryes was an "accident" that resulted in a Eureka experience.

After the BH 2x2, poured myself a big WT101. That's more like it.

Edited by Flyfish
  • I like it 7

That sounds to me like taking one for the team, so, thank you. Now I REALLY know I don't need to take a chance on it.

• I like it 1

Thanks for the review. I think they know what theyre after and arent gonna stray too far from it

<$50 means I’ll take a shot.  80 proof whiskies don’t negatively influence me, but I do hit them early in the rotation.  There’s enough here in the specs to pique my interest.

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

<$50 means I’ll take a shot.  80 proof whiskies don’t negatively influence me, but I do hit them early in the rotation.  There’s enough here in the specs to pique my interest.

Damn you. Gonna post a poetic review and make me reconsider my preconceived notions aren’t you?

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Damn you. Gonna post a poetic review and make me reconsider my preconceived notions aren’t you?

Heehee!  My bro, I promise I’ll speak only the truth!  :D

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

BH 2x2 Redux:

Violated a personal rule against reaching any conclusion before tasting at least a half bottle.  So, revisited BH 2x2 this p.m. out in the yard swing.  Tasted neat in a Glencairn, got more citrus than the first time and more anise. Still appreciate the rich, velvety mouthfeel. With three drops of water, a little smoother. With a cube of ice, nice to sit in the shade with a gentle breeze. (Hard to separate the setting from the bourbon.) Still a good hit of rye.

After that, Mrs. F switched to JC DC and I went to KC. Both of us were happier.

On 7/12/2018 at 6:12 PM, Flyfish said:

After that, Mrs. F switched to JC DC and I went to KC. Both of us were happier.

That's always the best...having something approachable but knowing where to go when you need to scratch that itch.

12 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Here's a YouTube review...

Ugh.  Had to close out at 3 minutes in.  Which was about 2-1/2 minutes too late.  I wish someone would step in and take away the microphones and video cameras from all these amateur bloggers who feel we not only should read their drivel, but see and hear them attempt to communicate it via other media.  19 out of 20 are just painful to listen to and/or watch.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Ugh.  Had to close out at 3 minutes in.  Which was about 2-1/2 minutes too late.  I wish someone would step in and take away the microphones and video cameras from all these amateur bloggers who feel we not only should read their drivel, but see and hear them attempt to communicate it via other media.  19 out of 20 are just painful to listen to and/or watch.

At least the girl is cute... :D

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

I won’t comment on that, but it’s a tall order to provide any redeeming qualities to overcome this...

7 hours ago, fosmith said:

Ok, this actually got me to hit play...

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Ok, this turned out to be the case.  Comparing it to peach schnapps was the clincher...

Thanks to you guys above, I have watched zero seconds.

I miss Sku's reviews. Simple, short, and to the point.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I miss Sku's reviews. Simple, short, and to the point.

Damn Sku for getting out!

• I like it 1

Yeah - I couldn't make it through the video either.  I made a first pass on this one tonight - definitely want to revisit a couple more times but thought I'd share my initial notes here:

Nose:  Musty oak, bright citrus spice with a hint of ginger

Palate: Really fruity - orange, pears, subtle cherry - like canned fruit salad (but more thin)

Finish:  Short to moderately long, with a subtle drying spice note

Full disclosure - I absolutely love High West Bourye (so was hoping I would be all over this).  On the same hand - I really don't care for WT Forgiven.  Their marketing spiel mentions they're going for unique, and I can honestly say it is there.  The most fruity bourbon/rye spirit I've tasted maybe - but just too thin.  The nose was pretty decent, and I could imagine the bourbon and rye dancing together, but the palate was too sweet for me and thin.  I'm hoping maybe a few days of air will help, and the whole "any given Sunday" attitude.  I can say that there wasn't anything exactly off-putting (and I think if this was a higher proof, it might be pretty decent . . . but there's a whole saying about ifs and buts, right?)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.