Heaven Hill...

TheRookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nobody has mentioned the 27yr yet? Any thoughts on this one. I've been exploring the probability of the relationship between this set of barrels and the ones Willett released earlier this year. I've tasted 3 of the 4 and if this HH is anything like it...it's gonna be pretty good.

For anyone who'd like to see the press release: https://heavenhill.com/detail/316

I'm intrigued, but I won't be hunting down or purchasing a bottle unless some members of my local whiskey drinking crew want to do a bottle split.

Are you suggesting that the Willett barrels were ones that HH decided not to use for this release?

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Are you suggesting that the Willett barrels were ones that HH decided not to use for this release?

No. Sorry if that's how it seemed. It's pretty General that Willett undoubtedly bought some pre fire barrels from HH. A lot of speculation lead many to assert the 27yr WFE releases were HH pre fire stock. Just wondering what the consensus was with this one...price tag aside, I'm interested. 

1 hour ago, TheRookie said:

No. Sorry if that's how it seemed. It's pretty General that Willett undoubtedly bought some pre fire barrels from HH. A lot of speculation lead many to assert the 27yr WFE releases were HH pre fire stock. Just wondering what the consensus was with this one...price tag aside, I'm interested. 

Ah gotcha. Not your fault, I made too large a leap based on your comment.

The Willett barrels being pre-fire HH distillate certainly seems possible to me. I'm guessing they are much different in flavor profile than the HH release will be, though. IIRC those Willetts were high proof (130+) while this HH release looks to be <100, so they were probably stored in completely different conditions. Will probably still be pretty tasty though! Extra-aged HH bourbon tends to agree quite well with my palate.

I'd love to try it.  At ~90 proof, is this a 27 year version of green label? 

35 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

I'd love to try it.  At ~90 proof, is this a 27 year version of green label? 

What is green label?

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

What is green label?

approximately half of red label

;)

• I like it 1

I would have to think that if HH is putting out a 27y its going to be very good. My mind keeps going to Parkers 27y, and I know he is gone, and it probably want be the exact profile, but it should be close. If I get the chance I'm sure Ill buy one.  (Parkers 27y is one of my favorites) 

• 5 months later...

Anybody been lucky enough to get a taste? Just wondering if it holds up to the PH27 or if this feels like something they were “trying to get rid of” as if it were over aged.

15 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Anybody been lucky enough to get a taste? Just wondering if it holds up to the PH27 or if this feels like something they were “trying to get rid of” as if it were over aged.

Smells incredible.  I could sniff on it all day. 

Tastes very oaky.   Honestly, I don’t think I could drink a whole bottle. 

8B3B7BA4-0F9D-4D41-8CE4-3E7BE70975F1.jpeg

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Welllll, not in one swallow, anyway!  :lol:  Heeeee-He!

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

8B3B7BA4-0F9D-4D41-8CE4-3E7BE70975F1.jpeg

Yeah - unless you love oak bombs, getting past 20 yrs is a really long time for bourbon.  I'd love to see how an "American Whiskey" (as in, take what would otherwise be a bourbon distillate, but age it in cooperage that previously held bourbon for 6-8 years) ages into its 20s.  There's something about time that I think we must can't get to with bourbon because of the new cask requirements.  

Everything i read makes  the finish sound pretty bad. A few 2/5 rankings. Not what youd expect  to read from such an expensive bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.