Larceny Barrel Proof

DeepCover
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’m hearing MSRP is $115. Say it ain’t so.

Has anyone tried it?

D08D9A0F-5136-4B75-86E6-49F442B4A3A7.png

Wow! MSRP for a barrel proof of something I can get the 92 proof of the same expression for $19 is BS crazy. Come on, HH, at least put it in some nifty decanter sp people can justify the coin spent. 

• I like it 3

I don’t get it, EC retails for around $26 around here and $21 for Larceny. ECBP is around $60. Why is the Larceny barrel proof retailing for more.

I think I saw that normal Larceny is around 9 years but no age statement, same as normal EC.

Does Larceny barrel proof come with an age statement?

• I like it 2

37 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I’m hearing MSRP is $115. Say it ain’t so.

Has anyone tried it?

D08D9A0F-5136-4B75-86E6-49F442B4A3A7.png

Let's see - 2 Bookers or 5+ OGD BIBs or 7 or so VOB BIBs or . . .

OTOH, I do wonder what it tastes like.

• I like it 2

I know some people (with good palates) who tried the private barrel selection of this at the KBA. They say it's a pass.

They were told that barrel was a one off but you never know these days so if the rumor of this is true, at $115..........hahahahahahahaha.

Nothing against Heaven Hill - I love 'em. And they'll get people to pay this price if true. I will not be one of them.

Has HH announced anything on this?  

I saw this rumor too. I haven’t seen any source for it. Seems like an absolutely wild price to me if it’s true. 

48 minutes ago, flahute said:

I know some people (with good palates) who tried the private barrel selection of this at the KBA. They say it's a pass.

They were told that barrel was a one off but you never know these days so if the rumor of this is true, at $115..........hahahahahahahaha.

Nothing against Heaven Hill - I love 'em. And they'll get people to pay this price if true. I will not be one of them.

Thanks, Steve.  I. too, will sit and watch for awhile.  Joe's follow-on comment is worth noting.  I did a quick search and found the ttb label approval in April 2018 and lots of rumor-commenting but not much else.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18096001000513

I did find a page on the KY Bourbon Trail website mentioning a sold-out distillery event on 5 June 2018 involving a Larceny barrel pick.  Price of attendance was $275.  You got a bottle and a tour and some other stuff.  I wonder if the approval above was for the bottles "given" out at the event.

https://kybourbontrail.com/event/larceny-barrel-pick/

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

Yeah - seems illogical unless some type of a one-off, LE (maybe more age to it, etc).  I mean, with ECBP coming in at $70 or less (and keeping the 12 yr age statement), I can't see who buys Larceny BP for more than $50?  I guess there aren't any BP wheaters readily available, but jeesh . . .

I'm curious, but wouldn't spend $115.

I'm think HH should have released regular Larceny no chill filter or added water  (and priced proportionally).  The whole concept of the Larceny brand is it's a vat of barrels of different ages.  A single barrel version seems in-congruent .  Also they're putting luxury goods in a package too similar to much less expensive item.

I'm all for single barrel releases.  This should have been packaged as Old Fitzgerald single barrel, or maybe a totally new brand.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, PaulO said:

Also they're putting luxury goods in a package too similar to much less expensive item.

I'm all for single barrel releases.  This should have been packaged as Old Fitzgerald single barrel, or maybe a totally new brand.

I agree. It seems no one consulted the marketing department. It’s way too similar to the $23 version. Given the OF BIB 11 year release (and price point), I’m even more skeptical of this release and the rationale for the packaging.

And why list the barrel # without stating it’s a single barrel? Something seems off.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Has HH announced anything on this?  

Not to my knowledge which is why I am skeptical based on knowing about the KBA barrel pick.

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Thanks, Steve.  I. too, will sit and watch for awhile.  Joe's follow-on comment is worth noting.  I did a quick search and found the ttb label approval in April 2018 and lots of rumor-commenting but not much else.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18096001000513

I did find a page on the KY Bourbon Trail website mentioning a sold-out distillery event on 5 June 2018 involving a Larceny barrel pick.  Price of attendance was $275.  You got a bottle and a tour and some other stuff.  I wonder if the approval above was for the bottles "given" out at the event.

https://kybourbontrail.com/event/larceny-barrel-pick/

The event you linked to is the one I was referring to. A few of my friends were there - and in this case it was a single barrel selection - and they said "nah, not worth it".

• I like it 1

Larceny and the bottle of Rebel Yell 10 year I had did not agree with my palate. Haven’t tried Old Fitz but not willing to take a chance on the LE. May try one of the base OF expressions if I get the chance. I think HH wheated may not be for me so I’ll be passing on this. A bottle went up for sale on Facebook yesterday. No takers at a price well in excess of the already high sticker price. 

Edited by Charlutz

I have trouble believing this rumor is accurate. Old Fitz was similarly priced, but was a LE. My understanding was this was not. Theres also no fancy bottle. I would think it would be priced similar to ECBP or even a little less. Or are they pouncing on the popularity of wheaters and just doing a money grab? If this is indeed a regular release, I would think it would sit on the shelf. Sales would be good at first because of newness and curiosity, but would then peter out as people find they can get 2-3 bottles for the same price, and those looking for "collectability" will pass because the secondary value will be the same as the shelf price. I still see the KC2001 & KC25th just sitting collecting dust, and the 2001 has been out for around 2 years - this could be similar.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Larceny and the bottle of Rebel Yell 10 year I had did not agree with my palate. Haven’t tried Old Fitz but not willing to take a chance on the LE. May try one of the base OF expressions if I get the chance. I think HH wheated may not be for me so I’ll be passing on this. A bottle went up for sale on Facebook yesterday. No takers at a price well in excess of the already high sticker price. 

Don't waste your pennies, the gold label 80 & 86 pf OF are IMHO swill.  The very reasonably priced bib - not the new overpriced decanter - was IMHO very good for the $$$.  

Instead you might try to find some DN1843 - not a bib (anymore) but 100pf HH wheated.

Edited by PowderKeg

On 7/6/2018 at 7:36 PM, GaryT said:

Yeah - seems illogical unless some type of a one-off, LE (maybe more age to it, etc).  I mean, with ECBP coming in at $70 or less (and keeping the 12 yr age statement), I can't see who buys Larceny BP for more than $50?  I guess there aren't any BP wheaters readily available, but jeesh . . .

You can get Maker's Mark barrel proof for around $50, and standard Maker's retails for more than Larceny as well.  I know Larceny and Makers taste very different so it's no comparison, but the Maker's barrel proof to my palate is a huge step up from normal Makers. 

• I like it 2

@DeepCover I’m starting to think what happened was they had that event at the distillery where they released a few bottles.

From that event maybe a few bottles ended up at the gift shop at $100+ price. My hope would be if they do a larger release it would retail at a similar price to ECBP.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

@DeepCover I’m starting to think what happened was they had that event at the distillery where they released a few bottles.

From that event maybe a few bottles ended up at the gift shop at $100+ price. My hope would be if they do a larger release it would retail at a similar price to ECBP.

Something certainly seems off, so that would make more sense than pricing it at $115 for a large scale release.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

This is a good possibility. Last year a single barrel pick of ECBP was done at the KBA and the bottles not allocated to the picking group were available to other KBA attendees that week at the gift shop. (I bought one). It was normal price though as I recall. 

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.