Minnick done with WA

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wonder if this decision is born of frustration. Lately it seems to me that Whisky Advocate is primarily focused on promoting their big whisky trade shows. I also feel they are too beholding to their advertisers. I let my subscription lapse over a year ago and I find that I am miraculously still able to function 

I wonder who WA will get to give the higher-than-they-ought-to-be ratings now? 

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Do they add 5-10 points to every review?

I'm certain 5-points is verbotten.    I believe the mandatory uptick minimum is 10-points; but 25 is not uncommon, from what I've read.    !!!:D!!! 

After all, some of the craft swill has been rated in mid-upper 80's, while likely shoulda been around 35.

For the most part my pallet relates well with Freds reviews.  Some of the other reviewers not so much.  I enjoy the magazine and always look forward to the next issue, but I too am amused how a reviewer can skewer some whiskey and then end up scoring it as an 85 or more ??

I like WA, I don’t subscribe but I grab it n Whole Foods or a liquor store when I see it. They’ve steered me towards a bunch of great bottles over the years that I probably would have missed.

But I do find some of their ratings to be rather interesting. I have thought that maybe some of the bigger companies somehow but a big number.

Don’t get me wrong, I think JW Blue is a great whisky, mastering the art of blending. But a 97? For a standard release? That’s a huge number (I believe no whiskey has ever gotten a 98, and very few were rated 97).

This past issue had higher rated and easier to get whiskeys yet the Old Fitz 11 was editors choice?

I guess when they named the EC B517 whiskey of the year made me question them. That’s literally been my least favorite batch that I’ve tasted (still very good, but what will the others - especially old label - rate?). It gets named WotY and all of a sudden they are everywhere. Has to have been the widest realest yet. I’ve seen a handful of A’s and C’s, but nearly every time I see a BP it’s the B.

I never took him seriously because of the cravat. Anyone trying that hard to cultivate whatever image he was going for just seems too ridiculous to me. 

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, uncork_it_already said:

I like WA, I don’t subscribe but I grab it n Whole Foods or a liquor store when I see it. They’ve steered me towards a bunch of great bottles over the years that I probably would have missed.

But I do find some of their ratings to be rather interesting. I have thought that maybe some of the bigger companies somehow but a big number.

Don’t get me wrong, I think JW Blue is a great whisky, mastering the art of blending. But a 97? For a standard release? That’s a huge number (I believe no whiskey has ever gotten a 98, and very few were rated 97).

This past issue had higher rated and easier to get whiskeys yet the Old Fitz 11 was editors choice?

I guess when they named the EC B517 whiskey of the year made me question them. That’s literally been my least favorite batch that I’ve tasted (still very good, but what will the others - especially old label - rate?). It gets named WotY and all of a sudden they are everywhere. Has to have been the widest realest yet. I’ve seen a handful of A’s and C’s, but nearly every time I see a BP it’s the B.

I've noticed that too... lately I'm just tripping over EC BP, all A batches though.  Normally they're pretty difficult for me to find around here.

I’ve met Fred a couple of times. IMHO, he’s a pretty decent guy. I just think that there’s times that he may get a little over enthusiastic. At other times, maybe a bit too serious. Sound familiar? Hey, many of us have been there if ya’ know what I mean. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, BDanner said:

Looks like this move was a precursor to him starting his own bourbon publication.

https://www.fredminnick.com/bourbon/

I just got through listening to the most recent Bourbon Pursuit podcast and it looks like he will be a regular co-host to that too and have a segment called "Above the Char."

Edited by NDN98
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.