PHC Orange Curacao Barrel Finish

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't remember seeing a thread about this years PHC release, which to those who are not aware is an 8-9 year old bourbon finished in Orange Curacao Casks and bottled at 110 proof. I'm less than excited for this one however interestingly I believe retail on this is lower than the last few at $89.99, not that it matters most retailers here will price it at $150-$200 anyway. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I don't remember seeing a thread about this years PHC release, which to those who are not aware is an 8-9 year old bourbon finished in Orange Curacao Casks and bottled at 110 proof. I'm less than excited for this one however interestingly I believe retail on this is lower than the last few at $89.99, not that it matters most retailers here will price it at $150-$200 anyway. 

I’ll definitely be picking one of these up. I’m normally not a finished bourbon fan, but this sounds interesting.  Almost like an Old Fashioned? With this supporting ALS research it is an annual must have for me. My dad was diagnosed with ALS so if I can combine support for that with a bottle of bourbon that’s a no brained for me!

• I like it 4

Wait....what? You’re serious?
  • I like it 1

Sounds intriguing. May be worth seeking out. I could see this being really well done, and certainly different. Wonder if it was aged in Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao barrels?

This is right at that sweet spot. I'd definitely grab one if I see it, but wouldn't lose sleep over it if I can't. That's exactly how I like my bourbon.

57 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

Sounds intriguing. May be worth seeking out. I could see this being really well done, and certainly different. Wonder if it was aged in Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao barrels?

With any luck, it will be Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. The deepest flavor of the three you listed.

Uh, just saying - a basic, really easy cocktail we enjoy regularly runs along the line of "Orange Bulleitt" which is Bulleitt Bourbon, Solerno Blood Orange liqueur, and walnut bitters.  OR, any bourbon and Luxardo Triplum OR a good dark rum and Patron Orange liqueur. IOW, at $80 a 750, all that extra work of measuring and chilling has been done for us.B)

A bonus is that ALS research gets something.

If I see one, I will pick it up, just because.

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

If I see one, I will pick it up, just because.

My thoughts exactly - although my expectations of seeing one retail?  Slightly better than seeing Bigfoot rappel from a UFO (although lightly worse than seeing either Bigfoot or a UFO independently).  The Cognac finish wasn't one of my favs, but some other finished bourbons (yeah - I'm looking at you HHSS SB1&2!) are amongst the best whiskey I've had.  Definitely curious, and trusting HH that it won't be too heavy handed.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, dad-proof said:

9 hours ago, Arkady said:

With any luck, it will be Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. The deepest flavor of the three you listed.

My strong suspicion is Cointreau as it was done in partnership with Alain Royer

I’ll need to try this in a bar or from a friend first. Finished whiskeys haven’t worked for me with the possible exception of 1792PF because I find the finishing to be subtle. Even there, I usually blend it 50/50 with 1792FP to mellow it out. 

14 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I’ll need to try this in a bar or from a friend first. Finished whiskeys haven’t worked for me with the possible exception of 1792PF because I find the finishing to be subtle. Even there, I usually blend it 50/50 with 1792FP to mellow it out. 

Good for you.  For awhile now, you've mentioned from time to time that you are not a fan of finished bourbons.  YET, you still keep trying them.  THAT is a necessary trait of a true bourbon geek - checking back to see if, just maybe, you  are "missing" something.  And thanks for the vatting hint.  I happen to have some half-full various 1792s on the shelf.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Good for you.  For awhile now, you've mentioned from time to time that you are not a fan of finished bourbons.  YET, you still keep trying them.  THAT is a necessary trait of a true bourbon geek - checking back to see if, just maybe, you  are "missing" something.  And thanks for the vatting hint.  I happen to have some half-full various 1792s on the shelf.

Thanks! I’ve only been drinking bourbon seriously for 6 years. I’m still discovering flavors in the standards. I do like the port finish in a foursquare rum I have, possibly because it’s two sweet flavors blended together. I’ll keep trying finished whiskeys but I need to be smart about it. 

This doesn't sound all that interesting to me, but I would probably pick it up if I stumbled upon it (not very likely).

In this market, any LE from a major producer under $100 is worth considering.  I'll probably grab one - it does sound interesting

18 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Thanks! I’ve only been drinking bourbon seriously for 6 years. I’m still discovering flavors in the standards. I do like the port finish in a foursquare rum I have, possibly because it’s two sweet flavors blended together. I’ll keep trying finished whiskeys but I need to be smart about it. 

Uh, please give me a hint about the rum.  My wife and I have been playing around the edges of various rums with the upcoming Summer.

Since I read this post I haven't been able to stop thinking about a Campari barrel finished WT/RR. Sadly I don't think Campari is barrel aged. 

16 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

Since I read this post I haven't been able to stop thinking about a Campari barrel finished WT/RR. Sadly I don't think Campari is barrel aged. 

That is most definitely not a color found in nature.

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Not to be that guy, but Campari used to get that color from nature, cochineal insects in fact, so it can be found in nature. ; - )

Edited by dad-proof
  • I like it 1

14 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

Not to be that guy, but Campari used to get that color from nature, cochineal insects in fact, so it can be found in nature. ; - )

Nice, a point worthy of note I'm not sure if the color is the same nor would I probably be able to tell since I am somewhat color blind.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Amaro Nonino is barrel aged though. 

I’d be totally on board with a Turkey finished in one of those barrels. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Amaro Nonino is barrel aged though. 

I’d be totally on board with a Turkey finished in one of those barrels. 

Yummy, thanks for this info, have never had this but will definitely seek it out! 

On 7/12/2018 at 7:36 PM, kevinbrink said:

On 7/12/2018 at 8:15 PM, dad-proof said:

I am ok being that guy... :lol:

Cochineal is still used in the Leopold's Aperitivo which is their version of a Campari style aperitivo. I think St. George's Bruto uses it as well. Campari tastes even more artificial than the color to me and I rarely use it anymore as a result.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am ok being that guy... :lol:

Cochineal is still used in the Leopold's Aperitivo which is their version of a Campari style aperitivo. I think St. George's Bruto uses it as well. Campari tastes even more artificial than the color to me and I rarely use it anymore as a result.

What's your preference for Negronis and boulevardiers if you don't use Campari?

On 7/11/2018 at 5:23 AM, kevinbrink said:

My strong suspicion is Cointreau as it was done in partnership with Alain Royer

You are probably right about Alain being involved. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.