What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, fosmith said:

I can get Booker's at Bevmo here in the Bay Area for $55.  $10 off coupon and I'm out the door for $48 and change with a smile on my face. 

Unbelievable.  I travel out there for work sometimes, I'll have to remember it.  I'm eager to try this year's second batch.

In NYC with the wife last week for the US Open and stopped in a store or two in Midtown and left laughing. ECPB for $100. EC18 for $399.99 and last year's PHC for a whopping $499.99. I'm sure they will sell at some point, but I was not taking them home.

• I like it 1

On 8/31/2018 at 11:04 PM, PaulO said:

I would buy it if the price was right.  That was only available a year or two before being discontinued.  Tasty for 80 proof.

I think it was $18.99 and well off my beaten path. Maybe I can get back before it’s gone. Would you rank it ahead of 4RYL?

9 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I think it was $18.99 and well off my beaten path. Maybe I can get back before it’s gone. Would you rank it ahead of 4RYL?

Overall I'd say 4RYL is better.

The ET 354 Bourbon is sweet, almost no burn, or rough edges.  It's a novelty if you never got to try it before.  

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Unbelievable.  I travel out there for work sometimes, I'll have to remember it.  I'm eager to try this year's second batch.

The curious thing is that most of the stores in my area are still working through the later 2017 or first 2018 batches, even at $55.  One store in my neighborhood still has 2017-02 at $55. 

That's incredible!  It's pushing $72-$80 here.

That’s more expensive than the UK, it works out at about $70 a bottle over here.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:41 PM, JvW said:

Went to a store in Washington DC and they had every Bourbon imaginable available for purchase (except Pappy 25yr)...

IMG_1230.thumb.JPG.ee47bfb038dab589f27c7b041452a3c5.JPG

Weller @ $100+

IMG_1231.thumb.JPG.220567896aee5ebfc25198f0a17afb76.JPG

Pappy 20yr for $1950 and Pappy 23yr for $2600 (numerous bottles for each)...

IMG_1232.thumb.JPG.270d9f5fc0c5205db9a8ab39fc4ad002.JPG

Tornado Survivor for $2000...

It was interesting to go through the shelves and dream...

I'm i bit late to this thread. 

I was in DC a couple weeks ago and saw the same thing, in the 2 stores I visited. In one of the stores they had pappy Lot B, 15, 20, 23, also BT antique collection Stagg and WLW. I was curious on the price of Lot B and asked, I believe he was asking around 600 for them, he also says he had a case of the Lot B. I kind a chuckled to him and stated the MSRP for that bottle, and then I asked why such a mark up. He explained he has to spend more than he would like on cases of vodka to get select rare bourbons. He continued that the vodka he has to buy will be on his shelves for multiple years because he can't possibly sell it all, so he then needs to recoup those costs with the big markup. 

It was kind of amazing to see all these rare bourbons in one store, but I can't imagine who would pay those prices. 

I'm i bit late to this thread. 
I was in DC a couple weeks ago and saw the same thing, in the 2 stores I visited. In one of the stores they had pappy Lot B, 15, 20, 23, also BT antique collection Stagg and WLW. I was curious on the price of Lot B and asked, I believe he was asking around 600 for them, he also says he had a case of the Lot B. I kind a chuckled to him and stated the MSRP for that bottle, and then I asked why such a mark up. He explained he has to spend more than he would like on cases of vodka to get select rare bourbons. He continued that the vodka he has to buy will be on his shelves for multiple years because he can't possibly sell it all, so he then needs to recoup those costs with the big markup. 

It was kind of amazing to see all these rare bourbons in one store, but I can't imagine who would pay those prices. 

A number of stores have told me similar stories, so it’s probably partly true, but he’s not recouping any $ by setting prices on the LE stuff so high that it sits on the shelf for years too.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

A number of stores have told me similar stories, so it’s probably partly true, but he’s not recouping any $ by setting prices on the LE stuff so high that it sits on the shelf for years too.

yeah, I was thinking the same. But I figured somebody (Cash Flushed Politicians) would likely purchase those rare bourbons at some point. I do agree that it does not seem logical. 

I have also heard this story about vodka purchasing from a local store here in my area. Not sure how it works, but we all know distribution is not all on the up and up. 

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I've seen a couple stores that their allocation gets based on either vodka (Wheatley) or 1792 small batch sales, and they have them on permanent sale, at cost, year round to help boost their numbers on those so they get more allocation of the LE stuff.

As for me, I've recently passed on Blood Oath Pact 4, Kentucky Owl Rye #2, Old Fitz 11yr, and some of the regular semi hard to find stuff, blantons, stagg jr, baby saz, etc.  

16 hours ago, spyders03 said:

I've seen a couple stores that their allocation gets based on either vodka (Wheatley) or 1792 small batch sales, and they have them on permanent sale, at cost, year round to help boost their numbers on those so they get more allocation of the LE stuff.

As for me, I've recently passed on Blood Oath Pact 4, Kentucky Owl Rye #2, Old Fitz 11yr, and some of the regular semi hard to find stuff, blantons, stagg jr, baby saz, etc.  

That seems like a strange plan to forfeit daily profits to enjoy a motherlode moment possibly years later. On the other they could be raking it in on their scotch, vodka etc so the 1792 is just a small sacrifice in the grand scheme. 

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

What was I thinking???  :lol:

boots.jpg

I'd have been curious to know what 'aged to perfection' means for that price...

Put 2 bottles of Weller SR and a 10 yr Russell on the counter tonight and the guy rung me up at 155.  I said there must be a problem since the RR10 yr was labeled $32.  Guy charged me 17.99 last year for the same bottle of Weller.   Crazy

10 minutes ago, JGriff said:

Put 2 bottles of Weller SR and a 10 yr Russell on the counter tonight and the guy rung me up at 155.  I said there must be a problem since the RR10 yr was labeled $32.  Guy charged me 17.99 last year for the same bottle of Weller.   Crazy

That is crazy...  it's on just about every shelf around here for $19.99.  

On 9/2/2018 at 3:15 PM, smokinjoe said:

Yeah, I’m not a shelf clearer, but I would have bought every one they had.  Elegant whiskey that pushes every button of a great whiskey, to me.  If I were asked to submit the best Bourbon to represent American Whiskey in an international competition, Blanton’s would probably be it.

I think elegant is a great word for Blanton's.

I also think it's a great starter bourbon since it is fairly mild and very well balanced. Extremely approachable for everyone from the newbie to the experienced drinker. For the latter overseas there is Gold and Straight From The Barrel, which I adore but would NOT serve as a starter bourbon.

On 9/4/2018 at 6:14 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Weller SR for $59.99. <_<

Joe

Was out and about with Mrs Joe today. We stopped at a new restaurant for lunch. The liquor store next door is owned by the same guy as the store I stopped at last weekend.  I again passed  on Weller SR at $59.99.  -_-

Biba! Joe

On 9/4/2018 at 1:15 PM, Dango said:

yeah, I was thinking the same. But I figured somebody (Cash Flushed Politicians) would likely purchase those rare bourbons at some point. I do agree that it does not seem logical. 

It's the huge number of fat cat government employees and government contractors in the DC area that drive prices like you're seeing here. Take a look at the list. The top 3 are in the DC burbs with 10 of the top 25.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-income_counties_in_the_United_States

On 9/6/2018 at 11:22 PM, JGriff said:

So did you plunk your cash on the counter or tell the guy to cancel the sale?

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

Big Level $50, 1792 Sweet Wheat $50, KYOWL Rye Batch 2 $180, W12 $200, CEHT Seasoned Wood $500.

Good decisions.  I would have done the same...

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Good decisions.  I would have done the same...

I was tempted by the Sweet Wheat at $50 but really didn't want to reward that store with my business.  It hit town at other stores for $35 and I missed out.  Apparently other markets its north of $75 though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.