What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

44 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

Excited to finally come across one, and then I saw the price.

BF7C4092-6875-4624-A720-9B9C70F1F664.jpeg

I saw my 1st one of these this week at $139.99 but passed. 

6 hours ago, pancakedan said:

Passed on these tonight(a bit too expensive), ended up walking out with a bottle of Scotch instead.
IMG_5963.jpg
IMG_5964.jpg

Given the vintage and the price I'd imagine that one had been purchased on the secondary and they're looking for a nice markup over that.

5 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Excited to finally come across one, and then I saw the price.

BF7C4092-6875-4624-A720-9B9C70F1F664.jpeg

That's $100 cheaper than the last one I saw.

Passed on a GTS @ $200.  I just can't get myself to pay more than twice MSRP for anything in life, no matter the secondary market.

I've got enough other tasty bourbons at retail price in the bunker to hold me over.

• I like it 1

Still interesting that you could buy this off the shelf. What kind of store is this?

The Whisky Exchange, I get most of my bourbon from them tho normally online, this is the first time I’ve been into one of their stores.

5 hours ago, pancakedan said:

The Whisky Exchange, I get most of my bourbon from them tho normally online, this is the first time I’ve been into one of their stores.

Ah, now that makes a lot of sense. I didn't know they had stores.

Four Roses Al Young for $799.99 and many other hard to find but similarly crazily priced bottles. I guess I’ll never taste some of this stuff.

Finally saw my first bottle of Old Ezra barrel strength, but at $65.99 I passed. I'll get along just fine with the 3 bottles of standard 7yr 101 I have left that cost a whopping $14.99 when I bought a handful of them 4yrs ago.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Finally saw my first bottle of Old Ezra barrel strength, but at $65.99 I passed. I'll get along just fine with the 3 bottles of standard 7yr 101 I have left that cost a whopping $14.99 when I bought a handful of them 4yrs ago.

That's nuts!  So far I've resisted going back for another at @ $40.  It's good, but IMHO not 2X as good as OE101 - like you I've got @ 4 bunkered for long term gradual enjoyment.

There’s a small store about 5 miles from my regular store that I never go to because the guy has almost no selection of bourbon and frankly doesn’t know anything about it. When I walk in, to my amazement there’s an ORVW behind the counter, as well as CEHT SmB and BP. Here I am thinking that this place has turned a corner and that I’ve possibly hit the jackpot, until I see his prices. $399.99 for the ORVW, $109.99 for the SmB, and $300 for the BP. I spoke with the owner for a few minutes and he said that he was very excited because he was going to get all of the Pappy’s next year, and they I should continue coming by. I could only chuckle at him, because I can’t imagine what he’s going to charge for PVW if he’s charging 300 for CEHT BP.  

On 12/22/2018 at 2:55 PM, Vosgar said:

Yikes. It's cheaper than that here in Seattle with our crazy taxes included.

On 12/22/2018 at 3:53 PM, pancakedan said:

They're really pushing up their bourbon prices of late. 

• I like it 1

Passed on a Blanton’s @ $74.99 and a Rock Hill Farms @$82.99. It’s been more than a year since I’ve seen them on the shelf and I’m not sure what price they should even be selling at given the way every allocated bottle in my area has seen big increases this year.  

On 12/26/2018 at 6:23 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Passed on a Blanton’s @ $74.99 and a Rock Hill Farms @$82.99. It’s been more than a year since I’ve seen them on the shelf and I’m not sure what price they should even be selling at given the way every allocated bottle in my area has seen big increases this year.  

The Blanton’s isn’t too far off.  Usually around $60.  That RHF though...yeesh. 

I passed on a Bellmeade 12 SB store pick.  At $104 I couldn’t pull the trigger.  Also a AE Cask Strength at $219.  First one of those I’ve come across on the shelf. 

Saw this today. WSR 1.75 for $60 was also included. You have to spend $100 on other products for the privilege of overpaying for these.

20181229_135231-1612x784.jpg

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Saw this today. WSR 1.75 for $60 was also included. You have to spend $100 on other products for the privilege of overpaying for these.

A fine example of whipping their good customers for the short term profits.    I'd be leaving 'em in my rear-view mirror, if I ever were a customer.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I passed on Eagle Rare for $28.99 or $24.64, if I bought 6 bottles.  Not that I don't like ER, I like it a lot.  I am just holding onto my bourbon money for a trip to another LS next week.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

A fine example of whipping their good customers for the short term profits.    I'd be leaving 'em in my rear-view mirror, if I ever were a customer.

Trying to stick it to VIP customers doesn’t seem like a good way to keep VIP customers. 

I left 3 Michters 10 on the shelf for $180 each. 

• I like it 1

Passed on a Stag Jr. @$70. Little tougher were the CEHT’s at $50...but I have a few bunkered that I purchased at $40.

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

Ky Owl Rye $189.. not interested

EHT single barrel $89 

Charter 101 $26

I picked up a bottle for about that price last time I was in IN just because it's now relegated to history's dustbin. A PS bottle I have is pretty good, and one could do worse than $26 for 101-proof BT.

Passed on a lot of stuff today. EHTSiB and ECBP for $100. The EHT was on SALE! Lots of KY Owl Rye #2. I don't know if they released a LOT of it or the higher price (and less favorable reviews) kept people away. OWA PS was $60.  Saw my first new label of KC today. Also saw a bunch of Old Fitz Prime. How I wish it was the BIB.

20190103_163402-784x1613.jpg

20190103_134649-1612x784.jpg

On 1/3/2019 at 5:05 PM, Clueby said:

Passed on a lot of stuff today. EHTSiB and ECBP for $100. The EHT was on SALE! Lots of KY Owl Rye #2. I don't know if they released a LOT of it or the higher price (and less favorable reviews) kept people away. OWA PS was $60.  Saw my first new label of KC today. Also saw a bunch of Old Fitz Prime. How I wish it was the BIB.

20190103_163402-784x1613.jpg

Classy! I like the label. It hasn't shown up around here, yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.