What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just passed on Heaven Hill 27 at retail. I’m not a flipper and the $350 price tag is really high IMO for something that I have seen pretty universally bad reviews for.

Am I insane? Is it actually amazing? Should I go back? 

3 minutes ago, Bambam said:

1) No

2) Couldn't tell you

3) Hell no!

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I just passed on Heaven Hill 27 at retail. I’m not a flipper and the $350 price tag is really high IMO for something that I have seen pretty universally bad reviews for.

It's not amazing. It is very unique and a historical snapshot. But...don't know that I'd have caved either. 

24 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

1) No

2) Couldn't tell you

3) Hell no!

17 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It's not amazing. It is very unique and a historical snapshot. But...don't know that I'd have caved either. 

Thanks guys. It’s a beautiful bottle but not worth that much if I’m not going to enjoy the taste IMO. 

1 minute ago, Bambam said:

Thanks guys. It’s a beautiful bottle but not worth that much if I’m not going to enjoy the taste IMO. 

Agreed. I haven’t tried it myself, but based on reviews I would’ve passed, with zero regrets. That’s a hell of a lot of money to spend on a bottle that you don’t already know will absolutely knock your socks off. 

13 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I shouldn't have responded to your question....

I've had and still have so many great bottles that cost under $100 that I can't imagine spending $350 for anything. You might find it to be the best whiskey you've ever tasted and if you're willing to spend that kind of cash, more power to you. It's just not something I would even consider so my opinion isn't based on anything useful. Sorry

37 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Agreed. I haven’t tried it myself, but based on reviews I would’ve passed, with zero regrets. That’s a hell of a lot of money to spend on a bottle that you don’t already know will absolutely knock your socks off. 

Yeah I mean I got the Booker’s 30th for roughly half of HH27 retail and it’s one of the best things I’ve ever had. 

Cant see paying twice that for one I’d only display.

• I like it 1

26 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I shouldn't have responded to your question....

I've had and still have so many great bottles that cost under $100 that I can't imagine spending $350 for anything. You might find it to be the best whiskey you've ever tasted and if you're willing to spend that kind of cash, more power to you. It's just not something I would even consider so my opinion isn't based on anything useful. Sorry

Your opinion is still useful. I buy stuff to drink and most of my favorites are way less than $100. 

If I was a flipper I guess it would’ve been great...but I just don’t want to be that person. Would rather let someone have it who will drink it.

Edited by Bambam

1 hour ago, Bambam said:

1.  Insanity is often the logic of an accurate mind overtasked.  You’re overtasking!

2.  I don’t know, but the PHC 27 yr was.

3.  If you’re not going to drink it...no.  I believe that would be a waste.  But, if you want to taste an uber aged bourbon with documented provenance...it is worth a shot if you can afford it.  

39 minutes ago, Bambam said:

If I was a flipper I guess it would’ve been great...but I just don’t want to be that person. Would rather let someone have it who will drink it.

The chance of someone buying it and NOT trying to flip it are probably pretty slim.  Not trying to squash your noble thought..sorry. I do hope someone who really wants to drink it and experience it buys it.  I got to try a pour of it. It smelled great. It tasted like a dusty attic. Someone said it was like licking grandma's floor I think.

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The chance of someone buying it and NOT trying to flip it are probably pretty slim.  Not trying to squash your noble thought..sorry. I do hope someone who really wants to drink it and experience it buys it.  I got to try a pour of it. It smelled great. It tasted like a dusty attic. Someone said it was like licking grandma's floor I think.

I told a friend about it who had it on his list. But yeah otherwise I’m sure someone will try to make some money. 

The old floorboard taste comment was something I’d heard too. Too much money for dusty attic taste lol.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.