What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 8/18/2018 at 7:41 PM, JvW said:

Went to a store in Washington DC and they had every Bourbon imaginable available for purchase (except Pappy 25yr)...

IMG_1230.thumb.JPG.ee47bfb038dab589f27c7b041452a3c5.JPG

Weller @ $100+

What’s the deal with the cap on that WSR? I’ve never seen that in a store. If I didn’t know any better, i’d think they bought it from an individual (possibly on the secondary) and put it on the shelf to make a few extra bucks above what they paid.

edit: or they’re trying to sell you a leaking bottle.

Edited by DeepCover

On 8/18/2018 at 8:41 PM, JvW said:

Went to a store in Washington DC and they had every Bourbon imaginable available for purchase (except Pappy 25yr)...

Weller @ $100+

Pappy 20yr for $1950 and Pappy 23yr for $2600 (numerous bottles for each)...

It was interesting to go through the shelves and dream...

The price of everything went up when the repubs came into town. But don’t tell everyone that we have it all here. ;)

Passed on everything that Liquor Barn had a release for this morning.  I either had multiples of everything they were releasing or it was something I wasn't really interested in standing in line for.  Lord I never thought I would find myself typing "something I wasn't really interested in standing in line for".  ?

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, DeepCover said:

What’s the deal with the cap on that WSR? I’ve never seen that in a store. If I didn’t know any better, i’d think they bought it from an individual (possibly on the secondary) and put it on the shelf to make a few extra bucks above what they paid.

edit: or they’re trying to sell you a leaking bottle.

DC liquor laws are different (and I'm pretty sure they can legally buy and sell on secondary).  I know that at least one big store regularly buys Weller 12 from secondary and sells them in store at a markup.  So it's definitely possible that they were bought from secondary.  

Only reason I stop at Hog Wild W&S in Cabot AR is to get a good laugh - these bozo's are reliable gougers on virtually anything that doesn't show up weekly on the truck by the pallet load.  2 notables today were 1792SW for $99 and 1792FP for $200.  Past winners have been $100 ETL and $200 W12.  

Fortunately Ace Liquor is literally next door, where I happily walked out with a 1792SW for $40.  Their selection is far better than the porkers, and I've yet to see a real gouger price on anything (yet).

• I like it 1

When picking up my Willet Estate Reserves today, I passed on a Weller 107. I got one opened and 2 in the bunker. Putting a third one in the hole would just be hoarding. 

I passed on BT and VOB BIB today, only because I've got some of each on my bar.

Edited by DCFan

Went to a rarely visited (by me) store in a nearby town this weekend. It’s a pitstop on the main route between our airport and a really wealthy resort area about an hour away, so despite being in a small(er) town, they are in the top 3 biggest revenue producing liquor stores in the state. Accordingly, they seem to be able to get a good selection from the State wholesaler warehouse, though they also do a bit more markup than I’m willing to support. The worst offender I ever saw there was a Lot B 12yr for $900.

This time, I noticed they had WT Master’s Keep Revival, Decades, and 17. I don’t recall exact prices, but each was between $150-$190. On the one hand, I’ve never seen any of those in retail before, so I’m somewhat tempted to go back to get one. On the other, the most I’ve ever paid was $130 for a GTS, and I’m not really inclined to spend more than that for anything. So I’ll probably just leave them.

They also had the HHBIB 6yr for $27. Was tempted to pick one up for grins, but as I understand the popularity on SB is largely due to the great value, and $27 is more than double MSRP, I ultimately passed.

Total Wine is really pushing Lonehand TN Whiskey. Every single employee had it marked as their favorite. I laughed my way out of the store. 

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

F370E943-BB42-474E-8F87-D8F1F70815D8.jpeg

I would buy it if the price was right.  That was only available a year or two before being discontinued.  Tasty for 80 proof.

Of note... I passed on Booker’s @$59.99, which happens to be the best price I’ve seen on it since December of ‘16.

• I like it 1

I passed on everything liquor barn offered this morning.  Thankful I’ve got a few weller 12 and rock hill farm in the closet.  

I was wondering what rates they charged.  I was going to go but freind was in line 2 hours before store opened said 70 people in front of him.. he walked out with nothing as all that was left was WTR for a woppiNg 185$..... People do not shop at LIQUOR BARN THEY ARE RIPPING PEOPLE OFF! 

I refuse to buy anything at the LB in middletown as now you wait in line to get chance at something for secondary market rates.....   

/end rant.

Almost always available but now on sale at my local Safeway supermarket.  Had this at a bar last week and can't understand why people pay what they pay for this...

blantons2.jpg

41 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Almost always available but now on sale at my local Safeway supermarket.  Had this at a bar last week and can't understand why people pay what they pay for this...

blantons2.jpg

That is the cheapest price I have seen on Blanton's in the last 4+ years.

5 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

That is the cheapest price I have seen on Blanton's in the last 4+ years.

Yeah, me too...

54 minutes ago, fosmith said:

blantons2.jpg

Have you seen the bottle and the horse on top? Thats worth $20. Seriously there was a time that id have agreed with you. But I think it is an excellent bourbon. Maybe you got a bad pour.  

Id buy a couple at that price btw.

Edited by FasterHorses

8 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Have you seen the bottle and the horse on top? Thats worth $20. Seriously there was a time that id have agreed with you. But I think it is an excellent bourbon. Maybe you got a bad pour.  

Don't know about the bottle and horse.  I've had it several times at a bar.  I don't think it's a bad bourbon, just not a good value. 

I discovered that my coffee was on sale at one local grocery store. I stopped in and said a quick hello to the liquor department manager. There was nothing new, so I passed on everything.  :unsure: I bought four bags of my coffee at a great price though. ;)

Biba! Joe

coffee.jpeg

11 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Yeah, I’m not a shelf clearer, but I would have bought every one they had.  Elegant whiskey that pushes every button of a great whiskey, to me.  If I were asked to submit the best Bourbon to represent American Whiskey in an international competition, Blanton’s would probably be it.

• I like it 4

Yeah, I’m not a shelf clearer, but I would have bought every one they had.  Elegant whiskey that pushes every button of a great whiskey, to me.  If I were asked to submit the best Bourbon to represent American Whiskey in an international competition, Blanton’s would probably be it.

I hate to say it but I have to agree with Joe on this one. No bourbon is for everyone so not being impressed at the current market’s exaggerated pricing is understandable but is a very classic, elegant, and well made bourbon. $50 is my sweet spot for it. At or below I’m happy to pick up a couple. At current pricing, yeah i buying it less and less. But I can say that for many whiskeys.
  • I like it 2

On 9/1/2018 at 12:30 AM, Paddy said:

Of note... I passed on Booker’s @$59.99, which happens to be the best price I’ve seen on it since December of ‘16.

That's incredible!  It's pushing $72-$80 here.

20 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

That's incredible!  It's pushing $72-$80 here.

I can get Booker's at Bevmo here in the Bay Area for $55.  $10 off coupon and I'm out the door for $48 and change with a smile on my face. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.