What bourbon did you pass on (summer/fall) 2018

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 9/29/2018 at 10:26 AM, PhantomLamb said:

What a steal!

That's definitely the right word but the one stealing is not the one buying!

• I like it 2

Passed on a ton of Big Level. These were batch 22. They should have held more back to age longer. Also passed on KYOWL Rye 2.  For some reason a bunch of Founders KBS showed up today.   I passed as I have plenty but just thought it was weird.

20181002_181917-784x1613.jpg

5 hours ago, Clueby said:

Passed on a ton of Big Level. These were batch 22. They should have held more back to age longer. Also passed on KYOWL Rye 2.  For some reason a bunch of Founders KBS showed up today.   I passed as I have plenty but just thought it was weird.

20181002_181917-784x1613.jpg

Correct choice.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Correct choice.

I've wondered how TW was able to score such a big allocation of SABL. It was even their Whiskey of the Month in August (I think). The cynical side of me thinks SA was probably delighted to dump it all on such a huge account given the reviews (except for Brad's) but I have no idea how it really played out.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

I've wondered how TW was able to score such a big allocation of SABL. It was even their Whiskey of the Month in August (I think). The cynical side of me thinks SA was probably delighted to dump it all on such a huge account given the reviews (except for Brad's) but I have no idea how it really played out.

Oh now that’s an interesting theory. I could actually see that happening. 

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Oh now that’s an interesting theory. I could actually see that happening. 

Except for the three tier system, right? TW does not buy from the distillery. They have to go through a wholesaler. Maybe there is some collusion for big accounts, but this is one of the things the three tier system is designed to prevent. And yes, I am in the group that is cynical and believes the whole system is shady.

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

And yes, I am in the group that is cynical and believes the whole system is shady.

I think that group is the majority...

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Interesting, but here in NJ, I have only seen Big Level in one store, TW.  And I get around.  I just left a bunch of batch 10 on the shelf at TW the other day.  This is an easy pass for me.

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Except for the three tier system, right? TW does not buy from the distillery. They have to go through a wholesaler. Maybe there is some collusion for big accounts, but this is one of the things the three tier system is designed to prevent. And yes, I am in the group that is cynical and believes the whole system is shady.

True, but given that TW and BevMo are national chains I would think that some coordination must be going on at the nation-wide level. The fact that TW has store brands that are available at all of their locations leads me to believe they have some ability to make centralized decisions that are then filtered through the state systems. But, that's just a guess on my part. Someone with a better understanding of the system (or TW, for that matter) should chime in.

20181002_181917-784x1613.thumb.jpg.b9c4d5bc842c3971d1d5c0b6f441a726.jpg

But Brad loves it!!!
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Interesting, but here in NJ, I have only seen Big Level in one store, TW.  And I get around.  I just left a bunch of batch 10 on the shelf at TW the other day.  This is an easy pass for me.

I believe I picked mine up at LOWC, but it does seem like the vast amount of it ended up at TW. I wish I left the bottle I bought on the shelf.

I passed on more BL at a different store today that ironically was $5 cheaper than TW. They also had these gems. This doesn't include the truly absurd pricing of the stuff in their special glass case. 

20181004_163628-784x1613.jpg

20181004_163712-784x1613.jpg

Passed on some Old Ezra 7 year. Almost grabbed one since it might be discontinued (or has that been confirmed?). I like it well enough but I figured since it was never a staple of mine I'd leave it behind for someone else.

3 hours ago, Spade said:

Passed on some Old Ezra 7 year. Almost grabbed one since it might be discontinued (or has that been confirmed?). I like it well enough but I figured since it was never a staple of mine I'd leave it behind for someone else.

It's off their website, and it was on there a few months back. Sound like it's done . Very good for the price .

• I like it 1

Midwinter's Night Dram Act 6, Scene 3.  $90 at Total Wine.  One per customer limit.  Was it a mistake?  Never had it and didn't want to spend that much and risk not liking it. 

5 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Midwinter's Night Dram Act 6, Scene 3.  $90 at Total Wine.  One per customer limit.  Was it a mistake?  Never had it and didn't want to spend that much and risk not liking it. 

Very fair price

9 minutes ago, fosmith said:

2 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Very fair price

I have quite like MWND but I'm wondering if the current batch will have any profile shift as I believe it will be the first with some of HW's younger Pot Still Rye in the blend. I would like to try this years before buying. 

10 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I have quite like MWND but I'm wondering if the current batch will have any profile shift as I believe it will be the first with some of HW's younger Pot Still Rye in the blend. I would like to try this years before buying. 

Great point. Forgot about that. Have you noticed a difference in their other offerings since using their own distillate?

8 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Great point. Forgot about that. Have you noticed a difference in their other offerings since using their own distillate?

I've only had barrel finished DR and AP variants since the switch so nothing that's really an apples to apples comparison. At the moment all of the old stuff is on sale at  a lot of stores around here while they try to clear the shelves for the new stuff so I've picked up a few bottles here an there and probably won't be in the market for any of the core releases for a while. MWND is the one exception though Port barrels have a habit of hiding a multitude of sins so it will be interesting to see how that one shakes out for me. 

• I like it 1

Stopped in a store in a part of town I'm not usually in. Thet had a great selection...and terrible pricing. I basically turned around and walked out with the proprietor following me asking how he could help and was I looking for bourbon. I told him he couldn't and that his prices were outrageous. CEHTSmB was $75, Stagg Jr. $75, Willett Pot Still (750) was $100, Blanton's $110, etc.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Stopped in a store in a part of town I'm not usually in. Thet had a great selection...and terrible pricing. I basically turned around and walked out with the proprietor following me asking how he could help and was I looking for bourbon. I told him he couldn't and that his prices were outrageous. CEHTSmB was $75, Stagg Jr. $75, Willett Pot Still (750) was $100, Blanton's $110, etc.

Crazy to think someone like that is even in business.

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Good grief... That pricing is ridiculous!

Now I kinda feel silly for passing on CEHTSmB the other day for $43 because I had seen it across town for $41.

1 minute ago, BottledInBond said:

9B8FB481-00E3-437A-BBD9-49DEF2538842.jpeg

Parker's Malt getting that markup is a new low for the whiskey market. Rejoice!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.