Jump to content
kevinbrink

What Dram are you enjoying? Summer 2018

Recommended Posts

kevinbrink

Sunday nightcap, really, really hitting the spot. 

y4mF2XuyBOgaollIQWQezqxORQO6qzIPTy3fMeXd

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChainWhip

^^your GC seems to like it - nice smile

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigRich

Pregame before my birthday dinner with my wife. Glenfarclas 40 year old is hitting the spot.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChainWhip
Pregame before my birthday dinner with my wife. Glenfarclas 40 year old is hitting the spot.
Happy Birthday Rich!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
5 minutes ago, ChainWhip said:
10 minutes ago, BigRich said:
Pregame before my birthday dinner with my wife. Glenfarclas 40 year old is hitting the spot.

Happy Birthday Rich!

Ditto! Happy Birthday big guy. :D

 

Biba! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Pregame before my birthday dinner with my wife. Glenfarclas 40 year old is hitting the spot.

Happy Birthday!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar

Even though hot and sticky weather usually keeps me away from anything Islay, today it sounded good. Kept it on the lighter side of peat, going with Bowmore 12yr before dinner and a G&M Caol Ila pick afterwards. This particular Caol Ila comes in at a whopping 120.6 proof, and with a splash of water it's dangerously good.

 

Btw.....Happy Birthday Rich!

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

Cracked this one tonight, March 2011 batch 57.1% and you would never guess it, this is a stunner. 

y4mYUW2j3gWUCG6n3ua-g0gSoUdeHvn9h-NQhzpX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
3 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Cracked this one tonight, March 2011 batch 57.1% and you would never guess it, this is a stunner. 

y4mYUW2j3gWUCG6n3ua-g0gSoUdeHvn9h-NQhzpX

I’ve never been disappointed by any whiskey from this distillery.  From good, to great.  

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
Just now, smokinjoe said:

I’ve never been disappointed by any whiskey from this distillery.  From good, to great.  

Agreed, and in general I think there are some really fantastic and interesting whiskies coming out of India, Paul John makes some very nice whiskies and Rampur isn't half bad either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane
35 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Agreed, and in general I think there are some really fantastic and interesting whiskies coming out of India, Paul John makes some very nice whiskies and Rampur isn't half bad either. 

I've never had an Amrut. I'll fix that and buy myself a work anniversary present tomorrow. Anything particular to look out for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
10 hours ago, Kane said:

I've never had an Amrut. I'll fix that and buy myself a work anniversary present tomorrow. Anything particular to look out for?

Depending on what you want to spend the entry level unpeated is to me very good, despite the fact that I'm a peat head I find Fusion which is a blend of Scottish Peated Malt and Indian Unpeated Malt more compelling than the Peated or even CS Peated bottles. In the higher price range the one I had last night is pretty outstanding and the process is interesting in that it started life in Bourbon Casks, was dumped into Sherry and then back in to Bourbon casks. Portonova is pretty great though it's been a while since I had it, if I ever see a Spectrum release again I'll be a buyer but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money when it was on the shelf here. If I was going to spend around $125 I would have a tough time choosing between one of the higher end bottles or a bottle of the unpeated (maybe CS) and a bottle of Fusion. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby

Finished off a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail last night.  Time to shop for best price on a replacement.  Can usually find for ~$70.  Wish this one was cheaper.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

A nice pour of Compass Box No Name at the hotel bar, soon to be followed by a Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black. Gotta like New Orleans. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Depending on what you want to spend the entry level unpeated is to me very good, despite the fact that I'm a peat head I find Fusion which is a blend of Scottish Peated Malt and Indian Unpeated Malt more compelling than the Peated or even CS Peated bottles. In the higher price range the one I had last night is pretty outstanding and the process is interesting in that it started life in Bourbon Casks, was dumped into Sherry and then back in to Bourbon casks. Portonova is pretty great though it's been a while since I had it, if I ever see a Spectrum release again I'll be a buyer but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money when it was on the shelf here. If I was going to spend around $125 I would have a tough time choosing between one of the higher end bottles or a bottle of the unpeated (maybe CS) and a bottle of Fusion. 

Bruce shared a bottle of the Spectrum with us at a GBS board meeting last year, and I found it positively dazzling.  Perhaps, the best whiskey I had in 2017.  

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
3 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Bruce shared a bottle of the Spectrum with us at a GBS board meeting last year, and I found it positively dazzling.  Perhaps, the best whiskey I had in 2017.  

I remember Bruce posting about his bottle it made me feel like a dummy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

Of course, flash flood warnings and thurderstorms all had to hit today when I'm feeling excited... Thanks a lot for the recommendations folks, I'll go shopping tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
42 minutes ago, Kane said:

Of course, flash flood warnings and thurderstorms all had to hit today when I'm feeling excited... Thanks a lot for the recommendations folks, I'll go shopping tomorrow.

The storm just hit NYC an hour or so ago, I'm on the 15th floor and the window to my left is slanted it sounds like water is coming down in buckets and i can see about a half a city block between the darkness and the rain, it is pretty wild. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JvW

A nice dram of Highland Park 12...

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink

Not the best bottle of Laphroaig I've had and probably the worst OB 10 year, but admittedly still pretty good. 

y4m7aaesSzJUv1hULTQgdv7FRMccHX0YBjjE6P0R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
I remember Bruce posting about his bottle it made me feel like a dummy 

I remembered Bruce posting about it too, and fortunately was able to find one a few months later. I have still not gotten around to opening the bottle though.
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marekv8

A bit of barley before heading off to my bitters seminar. I picked up this bottle last night by the hotel...

 

IMG_9981.thumb.JPG.0ce8a549944c48a83f80cf99074d25d8.JPG

 

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JvW

The last dram from this fabulous bottle...

 

Glendronach_12.thumb.JPG.549f017b50e8e63b1c6bb0b8882ba781.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

No fancy Amrut detected today at my usual whisky mongers. I need to arrange a trip to TW it seems. Enjoying the 16yr Nadurra tonight.

 

IMG_20180718_235946.jpg

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
No fancy Amrut detected today at my usual whisky mongers. I need to arrange a trip to TW it seems. Enjoying the 16yr Nadurra tonight.
 
IMG_20180718_235946.thumb.jpg.b90046a97506aee6a8c6caad8bde9c23.jpg

I love the 16yo age stated Nadurra, and I have bunkered quite a few bottles since they dropped the age statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×