What Dram are you enjoying? Summer 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pregame before my birthday dinner with my wife. Glenfarclas 40 year old is hitting the spot.

• I like it 4

Pregame before my birthday dinner with my wife. Glenfarclas 40 year old is hitting the spot.
Happy Birthday Rich!

5 minutes ago, ChainWhip said:
10 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Happy Birthday Rich!

Ditto! Happy Birthday big guy. :D

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Happy Birthday!  

Even though hot and sticky weather usually keeps me away from anything Islay, today it sounded good. Kept it on the lighter side of peat, going with Bowmore 12yr before dinner and a G&M Caol Ila pick afterwards. This particular Caol Ila comes in at a whopping 120.6 proof, and with a splash of water it's dangerously good.

Btw.....Happy Birthday Rich!

• I like it 2

Cracked this one tonight, March 2011 batch 57.1% and you would never guess it, this is a stunner. 

y4mYUW2j3gWUCG6n3ua-g0gSoUdeHvn9h-NQhzpX

3 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Cracked this one tonight, March 2011 batch 57.1% and you would never guess it, this is a stunner. 

y4mYUW2j3gWUCG6n3ua-g0gSoUdeHvn9h-NQhzpX

I’ve never been disappointed by any whiskey from this distillery.  From good, to great.  

• I like it 2

Just now, smokinjoe said:

I’ve never been disappointed by any whiskey from this distillery.  From good, to great.  

Agreed, and in general I think there are some really fantastic and interesting whiskies coming out of India, Paul John makes some very nice whiskies and Rampur isn't half bad either. 

35 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Agreed, and in general I think there are some really fantastic and interesting whiskies coming out of India, Paul John makes some very nice whiskies and Rampur isn't half bad either. 

I've never had an Amrut. I'll fix that and buy myself a work anniversary present tomorrow. Anything particular to look out for?

10 hours ago, Kane said:

I've never had an Amrut. I'll fix that and buy myself a work anniversary present tomorrow. Anything particular to look out for?

Depending on what you want to spend the entry level unpeated is to me very good, despite the fact that I'm a peat head I find Fusion which is a blend of Scottish Peated Malt and Indian Unpeated Malt more compelling than the Peated or even CS Peated bottles. In the higher price range the one I had last night is pretty outstanding and the process is interesting in that it started life in Bourbon Casks, was dumped into Sherry and then back in to Bourbon casks. Portonova is pretty great though it's been a while since I had it, if I ever see a Spectrum release again I'll be a buyer but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money when it was on the shelf here. If I was going to spend around $125 I would have a tough time choosing between one of the higher end bottles or a bottle of the unpeated (maybe CS) and a bottle of Fusion. 

• I like it 1

Finished off a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail last night.  Time to shop for best price on a replacement.  Can usually find for ~$70.  Wish this one was cheaper.

• I like it 1

A nice pour of Compass Box No Name at the hotel bar, soon to be followed by a Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Black. Gotta like New Orleans. 

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Depending on what you want to spend the entry level unpeated is to me very good, despite the fact that I'm a peat head I find Fusion which is a blend of Scottish Peated Malt and Indian Unpeated Malt more compelling than the Peated or even CS Peated bottles. In the higher price range the one I had last night is pretty outstanding and the process is interesting in that it started life in Bourbon Casks, was dumped into Sherry and then back in to Bourbon casks. Portonova is pretty great though it's been a while since I had it, if I ever see a Spectrum release again I'll be a buyer but I couldn't bring myself to spend the money when it was on the shelf here. If I was going to spend around $125 I would have a tough time choosing between one of the higher end bottles or a bottle of the unpeated (maybe CS) and a bottle of Fusion. 

Bruce shared a bottle of the Spectrum with us at a GBS board meeting last year, and I found it positively dazzling.  Perhaps, the best whiskey I had in 2017.  

• I like it 2

3 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Bruce shared a bottle of the Spectrum with us at a GBS board meeting last year, and I found it positively dazzling.  Perhaps, the best whiskey I had in 2017.  

I remember Bruce posting about his bottle it made me feel like a dummy 

Of course, flash flood warnings and thurderstorms all had to hit today when I'm feeling excited... Thanks a lot for the recommendations folks, I'll go shopping tomorrow.

42 minutes ago, Kane said:

Of course, flash flood warnings and thurderstorms all had to hit today when I'm feeling excited... Thanks a lot for the recommendations folks, I'll go shopping tomorrow.

The storm just hit NYC an hour or so ago, I'm on the 15th floor and the window to my left is slanted it sounds like water is coming down in buckets and i can see about a half a city block between the darkness and the rain, it is pretty wild. 

Not the best bottle of Laphroaig I've had and probably the worst OB 10 year, but admittedly still pretty good. 

y4m7aaesSzJUv1hULTQgdv7FRMccHX0YBjjE6P0R

I remember Bruce posting about his bottle it made me feel like a dummy 

I remembered Bruce posting about it too, and fortunately was able to find one a few months later. I have still not gotten around to opening the bottle though.
  • I like it 1

A bit of barley before heading off to my bitters seminar. I picked up this bottle last night by the hotel...

IMG_9981.thumb.JPG.0ce8a549944c48a83f80cf99074d25d8.JPG

• I like it 1

No fancy Amrut detected today at my usual whisky mongers. I need to arrange a trip to TW it seems. Enjoying the 16yr Nadurra tonight.

IMG_20180718_235946.jpg

• I like it 1

No fancy Amrut detected today at my usual whisky mongers. I need to arrange a trip to TW it seems. Enjoying the 16yr Nadurra tonight.

IMG_20180718_235946.thumb.jpg.b90046a97506aee6a8c6caad8bde9c23.jpg

I love the 16yo age stated Nadurra, and I have bunkered quite a few bottles since they dropped the age statement.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.