What Dram are you enjoying? Summer 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Longrow 14 sherry finish is hitting the spot. There's a new Longrow 14 Sherry Wood out this week at a hefty 57.8%. 

Will see if I can pick some up.

Screenshot_20180815-205806_Photos.jpg

• I like it 2

Here in the Garden State, if you have $40 and 1 bottle to buy this is the best you can do, though a handle of WT101 is pretty dang close.

y4md-Mi_ncnjZIbZLFeJyYEJQE84YaBUWistuagJ

• I like it 2

Despite having consumed plenty of Ledaig, I have not to my recollection ever had Tobermory until now, I grabbed a couple of 50 ML's while on vacation this weekend and I am enjoying it quite a bit, too bad vacation is over. 

Opening some bottles tonight, first up this Edradour Bottled a day before my 35th Birthday, was kind of expecting this to be a sherry bomb from the color but really is just enough Sherry to let the distillery character still be prominent. This is a really enjoyable pour, kind of wish I had another.

y4mmqUsnjC-x7PYcmUglNeNG3Uwj4Gs1JinD7Fys

• I like it 1

Enjoying some Old Pulteney 21 that I brought to the Jersey shore for a trip with the family. Fits the setting perfectly—nice maritime dram on a beautiful night by the ocean.

• I like it 1

A dark side night this evening resulted in killing off of a spectacular Old Particular 28yr Glenturret.  Threw in 3 Luxardos from an end of the week Manhattan earlier, and I’m a happy camper.  :)

EC603AA1-C161-4882-B44B-E6F8177FED7A.jpeg

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, beasled said:

Screenshot_20180824-215551_Gallery.jpg

So is it any good? I have always liked the Millstone Rye 100 but only had a little of their single malt and that was from a few years back. 

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So is it any good? I have always liked the Millstone Rye 100 but only had a little of their single malt and that was from a few years back. 

I've had a few Millstones, they're very good indeed. Their sherry cask bottlings have been excellent (the 12 year sherry cask I found to be a more intense Glenfarclas 15).

This bottling was through Facebook, and despite its age the peat and sherry are well integrated.

So I'd say their malts are worth exploring, definitely. 

Finally over a @#$% cold that has been lingering for nearly 2 weeks, so decided to crack my two Irish acquisitions.  Slane, which for only 80 proof and $35 (for a 1 liter bottle) is pretty damned tasty, and my Teeling 9yr CS/NCF Single Malt aged in Port - which is as delicious as you might expect.  Port is a tad heavy handed (less so than sherry for my palate, but still pretty dominant), and I can see where some might think it isn't complex enough.  To me, it's just f#cking delicious.  But maybe it has been not enjoying a pour in 2 weeks too :)  Looking forward to spending some quality time with these this weekend, and will share more detailed notes.

On 8/25/2018 at 12:30 AM, NDN98 said:

Opened another bottle of the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel. Good stuff!IMG_8877.JPG

You got the 1st Fill bottle which is an excellent pour compared to the refill variant; got 2 more bottles in the bunker.

5 minutes ago, kwshannon said:

Purchased and opened HP12.  First time trying smoky / peated since having JWB.  Very nice dram.

Haha, I don't particularly like HP but those two must be worlds apart!

I bought this bottle for the first time after reading some rave reviews. Has anyone had it before? I'm loving the taste, but I'm finding the taste to be very similar to lot 40. It's definitely a good rye!IMG_20180908_210612.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 8/31/2018 at 6:27 PM, JvW said:

You got the 1st Fill bottle which is an excellent pour compared to the refill variant; got 2 more bottles in the bunker.

There is obviously something here I am missing [label or otherwise].  How did you know it is from a first fill cask?

4 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Price point ?

$45 so cheapest of the experimental series so far, for context the IPA and the XX were both $65-$80 here.

On 9/9/2018 at 2:52 PM, Madhatter said:

There is obviously something here I am missing [label or otherwise].  How did you know it is from a first fill cask?

When you look at the label of a First Fill Bottle it will state "...no more than 650 bottles...' (I assume more of the whiskey is pulled into the wood of the cask??), the Refill variant will say "...no more than 800 bottles..."  The First Fill juice is much darker in color (I always hold it next to a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bottle to make sure) and richer in taste, the Refill is a little disappointed compared to it.  Ironically every time I take a Refill Bottle out of the Tube the label falls off (maybe it's just me).  At least that has been my experience, Balvenie has not officially commented on that subject I believe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.