What Dram are you enjoying? Summer 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, JvW said:

When you look at the label of a First Fill Bottle it will state "...no more than 650 bottles...' (I assume more of the whiskey is pulled into the wood of the cask??), the Refill variant will say "...no more than 800 bottles..."  The First Fill juice is much darker in color (I always hold it next to a Woodford Reserve Double Oaked bottle to make sure) and richer in taste, the Refill is a little disappointed compared to it.  Ironically every time I take a Refill Bottle out of the Tube the label falls off (maybe it's just me).  At least that has been my experience, Balvenie has not officially commented on that subject I believe.

Nice pro-tip.  Thanks.

It looks like winter came early here, it's been a stay at home day. Played some games with my son and watching some movies. Such a lazy day overall, it's nice to have one of those days once in a while. I decided to have some redbreast cs, I haven't had it in months, and it's a good whiskey to keep warm ;) It's still just as good as I remembered it. IMG_20180915_163421.jpeg

A relative brought one of these whilst visiting and we've been working on it.

It tastes very much like a Craigellachie to the point I'm sure it's just Craigellachie 13 from sherry butts.

Screenshot_20180917-225704_Gallery.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, beasled said:

It tastes very much like a Craigellachie to the point I'm sure it's just Craigellachie 13 from sherry butts.

Screenshot_20180917-225704_Gallery.jpg

Your hurting my wallet with that comment Dave, I've passed this one up a few times but I 1. quite enjoy Craigellachie and 2. Tend to enjoy Douglas Laing bottlings. 

Screenshot_20180917-225704_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0bb32295b3d395973e07f180ace0be41.jpg
Lol love the name and label. Maybe one day they'll have a dinosaur one. Maybe if it came from Montana :)

30 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Your hurting my wallet with that comment Dave, I've passed this one up a few times but I 1. quite enjoy Craigellachie and 2. Tend to enjoy Douglas Laing bottlings. 

Sorry dude! But yeah if you like both of those things I think this will hit the spot! If the price is right of course.

32 minutes ago, reeko said:

Lol love the name and label. Maybe one day they'll have a dinosaur one. Maybe if it came from Montana :)

I'd buy it!

• I like it 1

Opened a bottle of Longrow Red Malbec. The finish is pretty subtle in my opinion but adds a nice tartness. The only other Longrow Red I've tried was the port finish. I think I liked that one a bit more, but this one isn't too far behind.

Switching between a Signatory bottling of cask strength Glen Grant 22 yo, and a Springbank 10 yo at the moment.

The Glen Grant is great, just needs some water and half an hour under a lid, followed by small tastings while it transforms in the glass. 

The Springbank 10 has actually, to me at least, increased in quality since the recent label change(usually changes are bad in the whisky world...) which prompted be to buy another one today - along with a couple other bottles that I probably can't afford. Good thing I'll be able to drown my sorrows in liquid sunshine.

Near critical cork failure, I feel fairly confident in saying that I didn't have this when it was actually available on the shelf, this is dirtier than I expected out of a Glenfiddich even at 102 proof and 15 years of age, hard to imagine a distillery listing an age statement in such small print these days

y4m72pw4zIc0Q63YRW64-CMmpY8iRld-7otmzZnt

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Near critical cork failure, I feel fairly confident in saying that I didn't have this when it was actually available on the shelf, this is dirtier than I expected out of a Glenfiddich even at 102 proof and 15 years of age, hard to imagine a distillery listing an age statement in such small print these days

y4m72pw4zIc0Q63YRW64-CMmpY8iRld-7otmzZnt

I haven’t seen that one, but it looks interesting!

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I haven’t seen that one, but it looks interesting!

I'm guessing this one is from 2010ish I think that was the more limited release stateside and it looks like when it was put out again a couple years later the packaging was different with a big 15 on the front. Either way I never had either and found this sitting dusty in a store in a more rural town on the NY/NJ Border and the price was right enough to buy it at the time which despite the fact that it was about a month ago on my godson's birthday I do not recall. If I tasted this blind I would probably guess this to be a more tame Craigellachie it's a little gritty with a touch of sulfur that some might not care for but I dig. 

• I like it 1

Octomore 7.3. Only the second pour from this bottle, it's still excellent, but very different compared to my previous experience. The smoke on the nose is way milder, there is no comparison, previously I thought I could set off the fire alarm. The soot at the back of my throat is still going strong, though. Salty Bruichladdich goodness is also there. Good stuff, but I think it'll be wise to drink this relatively quickly before the peat tapers off.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.