FRLESmB 2018

Kpiz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Four Roses announced this year’s LE small batch (“130th anniversary”). It’ll consist of a 13yo OBSF, 10yo OBSV, 15yo OESV, and a 17yo OESK.

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/brents-pick-130th-anniversary-limited-edition-small-batch/

Im a big fan of well aged FR bourbon so I’ll be hunting for this one. It’s interesting, though, that none of the palate flavor descriptors are sugar-based - there’s usually some variation of brown sugar or caramel that appear in the official tasting notes.

I thought someone had posted this already but I don’t see it...

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Four Roses announced this year’s LE small batch (“130th anniversary”). It’ll consist of a 13yo OBSF, 10yo OBSV, 15yo OESV, and a 17yo OESK.

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/brents-pick-130th-anniversary-limited-edition-small-batch/

Im a big fan of well aged FR bourbon so I’ll be hunting for this one. It’s interesting, though, that none of the palate flavor descriptors are sugar-based - there’s usually some variation of brown sugar or caramel that appear in the official tasting notes.

I thought someone had posted this already but I don’t see it...

Creme Brulee and apricots are pretty sweet

26 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Creme Brulee

Caramelized sugar. I'll take it.

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Creme Brulee and apricots are pretty sweet

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Caramelized sugar. I'll take it.

Yes I suppose creme brulee does have torched sugar on top...Ok I retract my previous statement.

Looks like # of bottles is still TBD, which makes sense because they probably haven't dumped the barrels yet. Hopefully it's a lot so I don't have to go to London to find one like last year.

3 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Yes I suppose creme brulee does have torched sugar on top...Ok I retract my previous statement.

Looks like # of bottles is still TBD, which makes sense because they probably haven't dumped the barrels yet. Hopefully it's a lot so I don't have to go to London to find one like last year.

I think some of our European SBer's paid less than I did in NJ last year ($175 I think), at least you got a vacation out of it ;)

Edited by kevinbrink

There was a big hub bub on one of the last 4R LEs where they did not list the percentages of each recipe in the bottle, where the label indicated the age of each. What was the consensus/ruling of that, dies anyone know if this this label will be adjusted in any way?  Does it list the recipes and ages?

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

There was a big hub bub on one of the last 4R LEs where they did not list the percentages of each recipe in the bottle, where the label indicated the age of each. What was the consensus/ruling of that, dies anyone know if this this label will be adjusted in any way?  Does it list the recipes and ages?

Does not seem as such 

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=18074001000486

10 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

5 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I almost forgot about that. And I was one of the people involved in the debate here on SB.

I guess the removal of ages/recipes on the back could be taken as an indication that they weren't in compliance with labeling laws/guidelines/regulations (whatever they are) last year. Or that they just don't want to deal with people complaining about it. Or perhaps they just didn't feel like putting it on there. FWIW I don't think they were technically in compliance last year but I still liked seeing the blend on the label. At least they still included it in the announcement.

• I like it 1

I may try to make a quick up and back on release day when this one comes out. The combo of recipes sounds interesting and I haven’t purchased a whole lot this year, bourbon zen and all, so maybe a smb LE is in my future.

Four Roses is one of my favorites and I’ll definitely be looking for this one. 

With any luck, I'll be stumbling on tons of this and pass on them all like every year :) Nah, FR is growing on me, I'll get one for sure. Old K is always good.

15 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Four Roses is one of my favorites and I’ll definitely be looking for this one. 

Ditto

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, spyders03 said:

Anyone got to try this one yet?

To be released in September. What's MSRP? Anybody heard a bottle count? 

6 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

To be released in September. What's MSRP? Anybody heard a bottle count? 

MSRP is $140 per an email exchange I had with 4R. I asked for bottle count but they never responded. 

• I like it 1

If I recall, last year's SmBLE was $140 as well. Don't know if that was msrp or just what I paid.  It is currently still the most expensive bottle I've ever purchased. It's good but not sure it's THAT good.

Damn, 140.00 is out for me as well, last 4RsmbLE I purchased was back when they were 75.00. There is a barrel pick I am looking very much forward to that will bring me plenty of bourbon pleasure with less expense. Good luck to all of you that seek it out, I hope it meets expectations.

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

If I recall, last year's SmBLE was $140 as well. Don't know if that was msrp or just what I paid.  It is currently still the most expensive bottle I've ever purchased. It's good but not sure it's THAT good.

I only paid $125 hard to imagine it sold under retail. 

Edited by kevinbrink
No edit made here but admittedly only is a dumb adverb to use in this statement.

I think a lot of retailers last year put it up to 140-150 from 125ish, now maybe they'll be asking 175 for a 140 MSRP.

I guess this is why I built a bunker, but I never thought it would be quite THIS necessary.

• I like it 3

I always look forward to this release, but its not one that I'm willing to pay too much over retail.  Luckily, I got drawn for the Mellow Moments event being held during the KBF and my wife and I are also doing the Let's Talk Bourbon at Four Roses the following day and attendees to those events all get to purchase bottles.  If anyone is in the area during the KFB and don't want to deal with the lines for the release, the $50 ticket price for the Let's Talk Bourbon isn't bad.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I always look forward to this release, but its not one that I'm willing to pay too much over retail.  Luckily, I got drawn for the Mellow Moments event being held during the KBF and my wife and I are also doing the Let's Talk Bourbon at Four Roses the following day and attendees to those events all get to purchase bottles.  If anyone is in the area during the KFB and don't want to deal with the lines for the release, the $50 ticket price for the Let's Talk Bourbon isn't bad.

Dang you!  I signed up for the tasting but didn't get drawn, and I'll be at Buffalo Trace Friday doing a couple Barrel selections for a private group.  That's ok though, I'll try and nab one at the release Saturday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.