gurgalunas

Little Book Batch Two

lcpfratn

I was able to find a bottle at retail, which is $99 in my neck of the woods. I liked the first batch, even though many others weren’t that impressed with it, so I have been looking for a bottle of the new batch that was priced reasonably. I like chapter 2 even more than chapter 1, but wish the price hadn’t gone up from last year...but then again, what good whiskey hasn’t gone up in price?

wadewood

I really liked Batch 1 so hoped Batch 2 would follow as nice.  I had a bartender friend pour me a free 1/2 oz of Batch 2.  I'm glad that pour was free as I did not like it at all.  

• I like it 1

tanstaafl2
On 11/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, CUfan99 said:

Dang! Y’all are making me think about dropping $120 for this.

Yeah, the price seems a bit much on this one especially considering a good chunk of it is 8yo Knob Creek and those seem to be everywhere for $40 something. There probably only a little of the 40yo Canadian corn whiskey (probably from the same source Canadian Club comes from)  which despite the age isn’t exactly an ultra priced whisky either. Under $100 would feel a bit more realistic to me but such is the current market.

• I like it 1

RWBadley

I had a chance to pick up a bottle of this at 99$ 

After having tasted it 3x I can say it is one of the better rye's I have experienced- with some clarification.

It is definitely not straight up American rye style. The Canadian does show well here. The blend is very attractive, a really cool combo of the Canadian maple vanilla sweetness and the more spicy American as a foundation. Excellent balance of the two.

It would seem easy to think of it as a 40% Pikesville 110 and maybe the balance of Canadian rye's with some Collingwood thrown in at the end.

I don't think it's that simple tho'. Depth of flavors are huge here with lots of development over time. Takes a little ice pretty well.

A vast improvement over batch one I think. Much more interesting and damn good whiskey. It won't be in everyone's wheelhouse.

Having said all that- I'd suggest if you see it near retail around 100$ and that price doesn't scare you- grab one. I suspect at some point it will be getting some recognition as a helluva attempt at something different that seems to have clicked extremely well. Considering Little Book #1 was rated pretty highly last year (which I admit confused me a little) this one really might show in the top five or even top three for 2018 releases. Just my own kinda quick and dirty opinion.

I;m pretty sure even with the fair amount of stocks I have here I wouldn't be able to duplicate it. Maybe close- but I've gotta hand it to B/S for getting this one out there. They have the juice available and I'm really impressed with this one, I think it's a home run.

Cheers

RW

jshleffar

Picked one up today for 79.99 

• I like it 2

lcpfratn
Picked one up today for 79.99 

Wow! Great price!
  • I like it 1

EarthQuake
On 11/12/2018 at 11:38 AM, RWBadley said:

I had a chance to pick up a bottle of this at 99$ 

After having tasted it 3x I can say it is one of the better rye's I have experienced- with some clarification.

It is definitely not straight up American rye style. The Canadian does show well here. The blend is very attractive, a really cool combo of the Canadian maple vanilla sweetness and the more spicy American as a foundation. Excellent balance of the two.

It would seem easy to think of it as a 40% Pikesville 110 and maybe the balance of Canadian rye's with some Collingwood thrown in at the end.

I don't think it's that simple tho'. Depth of flavors are huge here with lots of development over time. Takes a little ice pretty well.

A vast improvement over batch one I think. Much more interesting and damn good whiskey. It won't be in everyone's wheelhouse.

Having said all that- I'd suggest if you see it near retail around 100$ and that price doesn't scare you- grab one. I suspect at some point it will be getting some recognition as a helluva attempt at something different that seems to have clicked extremely well. Considering Little Book #1 was rated pretty highly last year (which I admit confused me a little) this one really might show in the top five or even top three for 2018 releases. Just my own kinda quick and dirty opinion.

I;m pretty sure even with the fair amount of stocks I have here I wouldn't be able to duplicate it. Maybe close- but I've gotta hand it to B/S for getting this one out there. They have the juice available and I'm really impressed with this one, I think it's a home run.

Cheers

RW

I generally agree with your notes. 

As far as reproducing it, maybe something like:

60% Knob Creek Rye Cask Strength (or Single Barrel)

35% Whistlepig 10

5% Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 20-something or Barterhouse, Maybe JP Wisers 18 to be more faithful to the Canadian Whisky component

I bet that, or something like it would get fairly close.

tanstaafl2
14 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I generally agree with your notes. 

As far as reproducing it, maybe something like:

60% Knob Creek Rye Cask Strength (or Single Barrel)

35% Whistlepig 10

5% Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 20-something or Barterhouse, Maybe JP Wisers 18 to be more faithful to the Canadian Whisky component

I bet that, or something like it would get fairly close.

Don't even have to blend with an Orphan Barrel. There is 40yo Canadian Club out there. Somewhere. At least in Canada presuming it is still around.

• I like it 1

The Black Tot
On 12/2/2018 at 2:15 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Don't even have to blend with an Orphan Barrel. There is 40yo Canadian Club out there. Somewhere. At least in Canada presuming it is still around.

Hey! I've got to fine SOME use for Barterhouse!

Clueby
On 12/31/2018 at 10:56 PM, The Black Tot said:

Hey! I've got to fine SOME use for Barterhouse!

I have a great use for Barterhouse.  Drink it! I think it is great whiskey. I just wish it had a bit more proof.

• I like it 2

The Black Tot
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Clueby said:

I have a great use for Barterhouse.  Drink it! I think it is great whiskey. I just wish it had a bit more proof.

It just doesn't work for me, flavor-wise. I tried to love it.

Edited by The Black Tot