Jump to content
gurgalunas

Little Book Batch Two

Recommended Posts

lcpfratn

I was able to find a bottle at retail, which is $99 in my neck of the woods. I liked the first batch, even though many others weren’t that impressed with it, so I have been looking for a bottle of the new batch that was priced reasonably. I like chapter 2 even more than chapter 1, but wish the price hadn’t gone up from last year...but then again, what good whiskey hasn’t gone up in price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wadewood

I really liked Batch 1 so hoped Batch 2 would follow as nice.  I had a bartender friend pour me a free 1/2 oz of Batch 2.  I'm glad that pour was free as I did not like it at all.  

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
On 11/9/2018 at 12:07 PM, CUfan99 said:

Dang! Y’all are making me think about dropping $120 for this.

Yeah, the price seems a bit much on this one especially considering a good chunk of it is 8yo Knob Creek and those seem to be everywhere for $40 something. There probably only a little of the 40yo Canadian corn whiskey (probably from the same source Canadian Club comes from)  which despite the age isn’t exactly an ultra priced whisky either. Under $100 would feel a bit more realistic to me but such is the current market.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley

I had a chance to pick up a bottle of this at 99$ 

 

After having tasted it 3x I can say it is one of the better rye's I have experienced- with some clarification.

 

It is definitely not straight up American rye style. The Canadian does show well here. The blend is very attractive, a really cool combo of the Canadian maple vanilla sweetness and the more spicy American as a foundation. Excellent balance of the two.

 

It would seem easy to think of it as a 40% Pikesville 110 and maybe the balance of Canadian rye's with some Collingwood thrown in at the end.

 

I don't think it's that simple tho'. Depth of flavors are huge here with lots of development over time. Takes a little ice pretty well.

 

A vast improvement over batch one I think. Much more interesting and damn good whiskey. It won't be in everyone's wheelhouse.

 

Having said all that- I'd suggest if you see it near retail around 100$ and that price doesn't scare you- grab one. I suspect at some point it will be getting some recognition as a helluva attempt at something different that seems to have clicked extremely well. Considering Little Book #1 was rated pretty highly last year (which I admit confused me a little) this one really might show in the top five or even top three for 2018 releases. Just my own kinda quick and dirty opinion.

 

I;m pretty sure even with the fair amount of stocks I have here I wouldn't be able to duplicate it. Maybe close- but I've gotta hand it to B/S for getting this one out there. They have the juice available and I'm really impressed with this one, I think it's a home run.

 

Cheers

RW

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jshleffar

Picked one up today for 79.99 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Picked one up today for 79.99 

Wow! Great price!
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EarthQuake
On 11/12/2018 at 11:38 AM, RWBadley said:

I had a chance to pick up a bottle of this at 99$ 

 

After having tasted it 3x I can say it is one of the better rye's I have experienced- with some clarification.

 

It is definitely not straight up American rye style. The Canadian does show well here. The blend is very attractive, a really cool combo of the Canadian maple vanilla sweetness and the more spicy American as a foundation. Excellent balance of the two.

 

It would seem easy to think of it as a 40% Pikesville 110 and maybe the balance of Canadian rye's with some Collingwood thrown in at the end.

 

I don't think it's that simple tho'. Depth of flavors are huge here with lots of development over time. Takes a little ice pretty well.

 

A vast improvement over batch one I think. Much more interesting and damn good whiskey. It won't be in everyone's wheelhouse.

 

Having said all that- I'd suggest if you see it near retail around 100$ and that price doesn't scare you- grab one. I suspect at some point it will be getting some recognition as a helluva attempt at something different that seems to have clicked extremely well. Considering Little Book #1 was rated pretty highly last year (which I admit confused me a little) this one really might show in the top five or even top three for 2018 releases. Just my own kinda quick and dirty opinion.

 

I;m pretty sure even with the fair amount of stocks I have here I wouldn't be able to duplicate it. Maybe close- but I've gotta hand it to B/S for getting this one out there. They have the juice available and I'm really impressed with this one, I think it's a home run.

 

Cheers

RW

 

 

I generally agree with your notes. 

 

As far as reproducing it, maybe something like:

60% Knob Creek Rye Cask Strength (or Single Barrel)

35% Whistlepig 10

5% Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 20-something or Barterhouse, Maybe JP Wisers 18 to be more faithful to the Canadian Whisky component

 

I bet that, or something like it would get fairly close.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tanstaafl2
14 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

I generally agree with your notes. 

 

As far as reproducing it, maybe something like:

60% Knob Creek Rye Cask Strength (or Single Barrel)

35% Whistlepig 10

5% Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 20-something or Barterhouse, Maybe JP Wisers 18 to be more faithful to the Canadian Whisky component

 

I bet that, or something like it would get fairly close.

 

 

Don't even have to blend with an Orphan Barrel. There is 40yo Canadian Club out there. Somewhere. At least in Canada presuming it is still around.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
On 12/2/2018 at 2:15 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Don't even have to blend with an Orphan Barrel. There is 40yo Canadian Club out there. Somewhere. At least in Canada presuming it is still around.

Hey! I've got to fine SOME use for Barterhouse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Clueby
On 12/31/2018 at 10:56 PM, The Black Tot said:

Hey! I've got to fine SOME use for Barterhouse!

I have a great use for Barterhouse.  Drink it! I think it is great whiskey. I just wish it had a bit more proof.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Black Tot
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Clueby said:

I have a great use for Barterhouse.  Drink it! I think it is great whiskey. I just wish it had a bit more proof.

It just doesn't work for me, flavor-wise. I tried to love it.

Edited by The Black Tot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuckles

Some of Freddie Noe's specials have hit a home run with me, and I've bought a couple of bloopers as well. I am not a fan of Canadian whiskies, and hate that so many sketchy things are allowed in the juice up there. I never got a taste of  Little Book #1, but saw things written about #2 that intrigued me. The only bottle for sale I have seen was $100+, which gave me pause, but then the wife bought it for me as a gift. Popped it open a few days ago.

 

From the first sip, WOW, a party on my palate and I liked all the guests: fruits like dark cherry, plum, blackberry, raspberry; candy (without any cloyingness) like caramel and toffee; spices like vanilla, allspice, and more (but I don't sense the cinnamon that others have noted); a taste of oak, and maybe a hint of smoke. Very complex and full, with no off tastes for me. The nose is mild, definitely rye. The amber color is not as rich as I'd expect from whiskey this old. Good legs and a lovely mouth feel. A fine finish of spicy rye that pleasantly lingers awhile.  

 

Went to sing its praises to the Mrs., and she had  a taste, finding it too hot. On reconsiderating, she has a point (I'm used to barrel proofs and such). When I had a pour over a giant ice cube in an insulated glass (very slow melt), there was a point where it opened up more and hit a really tasty spot. Will be trying various little splashes until I find that warm spot again. 

 

I love this juice. If I get the chance, I'd buy another bottle, and maybe a spare for the bunker. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeffrey r

Thanks for the report Chuckles.  Actual reports on this whiskey continue to be positive.  As I sort of expected, this has not really been moving around here.  $100 Canadian rye is simply not going to get a rise out of the masses (or even really the enthusiasts).  I have passed it up multiple times at the original $100, and I have continued to pass it up at the $90 I have been seeing it at lately.  I suspect it is excellent whiskey, and that I would like it.  I'm willing to ride this out and see if it drops further--I won't shed tears if I miss it, but will likely be a buyer of at least one bottle if it drops in price.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

Thanks for the report Chuckles.  Actual reports on this whiskey continue to be positive.  As I sort of expected, this has not really been moving around here.  $100 Canadian rye is simply not going to get a rise out of the masses (or even really the enthusiasts).  I have passed it up multiple times at the original $100, and I have continued to pass it up at the $90 I have been seeing it at lately.  I suspect it is excellent whiskey, and that I would like it.  I'm willing to ride this out and see if it drops further--I won't shed tears if I miss it, but will likely be a buyer of at least one bottle if it drops in price.

I have one and have been tempted to pick up a back up but haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jazzhead
18 hours ago, Chuckles said:

Some of Freddie Noe's specials have hit a home run with me, and I've bought a couple of bloopers as well. I am not a fan of Canadian whiskies, and hate that so many sketchy things are allowed in the juice up there. I never got a taste of  Little Book #1, but saw things written about #2 that intrigued me. The only bottle for sale I have seen was $100+, which gave me pause, but then the wife bought it for me as a gift. Popped it open a few days ago.

 

From the first sip, WOW, a party on my palate and I liked all the guests: fruits like dark cherry, plum, blackberry, raspberry; candy (without any cloyingness) like caramel and toffee; spices like vanilla, allspice, and more (but I don't sense the cinnamon that others have noted); a taste of oak, and maybe a hint of smoke. Very complex and full, with no off tastes for me. The nose is mild, definitely rye. The amber color is not as rich as I'd expect from whiskey this old. Good legs and a lovely mouth feel. A fine finish of spicy rye that pleasantly lingers awhile.  

 

Went to sing its praises to the Mrs., and she had  a taste, finding it too hot. On reconsiderating, she has a point (I'm used to barrel proofs and such). When I had a pour over a giant ice cube in an insulated glass (very slow melt), there was a point where it opened up more and hit a really tasty spot. Will be trying various little splashes until I find that warm spot again. 

 

I love this juice. If I get the chance, I'd buy another bottle, and maybe a spare for the bunker. 

I agree;  the Little Book #2 is superb stuff.   I was sipping it yesterday as I watched the Super Bowl.   Balance, balance, balance.     It is, in fact, the only premium bottling (($80-plus) bottling last year that I was impressed enough by that I bought another one for the bunker. 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob_Loblaw
8 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I agree;  the Little Book #2 is superb stuff.   I was sipping it yesterday as I watched the Super Bowl.   Balance, balance, balance.     It is, in fact, the only premium bottling (($80-plus) bottling last year that I was impressed enough by that I bought another one for the bunker. 

 

9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I have one and have been tempted to pick up a back up but haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

Same boat. I enjoyed my first bottle very much and picked up a second bottle. Agree the juice is a little pricey, but the flavors are there. 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mal00768

I received a bottle from the in laws for Christmas. It’s tasty stuff for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RWBadley

My bottle of this is now down to almost fumes. 

 

Lucky thing tho- I just saw it in my local Costco for 79$.   

 

This and the KC 2009 rye is there at 56$ (or something like that)

 

If it doesn't say 'Pappy' on it- it looks like a shelf turd these days  ?

 

 

Edited by RWBadley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
My bottle of this is now down to almost fumes. 
 
Lucky thing tho- I just saw it in my local Costco for 79$.   
 
This and the KC 2009 rye is there at 56$ (or something like that)
 
If it doesn't say 'Pappy' on it- it looks like a shelf turd these days  ?
 
 

Wow...great prices! Unfortunately, in some respects anyway, Costco can’t sell liquor in Tennessee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe

WARNING!  Thread drift! About Costco.......

 

Costco is planning on building a store somewhere in my general area. County board, zoning commission, local Chamber Of Commerce, etc....... I only hope I see it in my lifetime. :mellow:

 

Biba! Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...