Lottery

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A little early but the local guy was already talking about November in his store this week. What are you looking for in lotteries this fall out of this years selections? Booker's 30? RR2002? EHT 4G? HH27? Double Eagle 20? 

I will be eagerly hunting that Wild Turkey 101 proof paper label. If I’m REALLY lucky I might be able to grab some Old Grand Dad bottled in bond and I may splurge with some Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It’s going to be a good Fall

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, Surtur said:

I will be eagerly hunting that Wild Turkey 101 proof paper label. If I’m REALLY lucky I might be able to grab some Old Grand Dad bottled in bond and I may splurge with some Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It’s going to be a good Fall

Keep yer fingers crossed, Surtur.   ;)   With any luck at all you'll do fine, I bet.   :)

I mean, I probably wouldn’t pass on the stuff like the Booker’s 30th or RR2002 at retail prices but I’m not really out there looking for many of these things this year. Feeling a little LE fatigue. Not super enthused about the PHC, not loving a lot of these prices (want to try the Bookers but  when I bought the 25th they were only $100 per), EHT4G is just fine whiskey to me but nothing to chase, and I’m not a Pappy slave. At this point I’ll hope to grab a couple BTAC bottles and Four Roses LE and will be just fine with that. If they do a VWFRR release this year I’d be interested in that at MSRP too just because I’m curious to try the new version but my expectations are very moderate as I didn’t truly love the last two releases of that. Otherwise, still plenty of good store pick barrels to keep me interested. 

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I mean, I probably wouldn’t pass on the stuff like the Booker’s 30th or RR2002 at retail prices but I’m not really out there looking for many of these things this year. Feeling a little LE fatigue. Not super enthused about the PHC, not loving a lot of these prices (want to try the Bookers but  when I bought the 25th they were only $100 per), EHT4G is just fine whiskey to me but nothing to chase, and I’m not a Pappy slave. At this point I’ll hope to grab a couple BTAC bottles and Four Roses LE and will be just fine with that. If they do a VWFRR release this year I’d be interested in that at MSRP too just because I’m curious to try the new version but my expectations are very moderate as I didn’t truly love the last two releases of that. Otherwise, still plenty of good store pick barrels to keep me interested. 

I think im with you. Would still love to get a chance at a PVW just because ive never had it.. maybe a OFBB. But probably will be ecstatic with a BTAC or a EHTFG.

• I like it 1

I'm in the PA lottery now for EHT 4G and Weller 12 year.  However, I think I lost so...

One of the local stores has a steady supply of Knob Creek store picks.  Most are 12 year 10 month stuff and damn fine.  They have one now that is 14 years old, and superb.  All are right around that $60 out the door price range.  There is a never ending supply of the daily drinkers at that $18-$28 range.  I'm quite happy enjoying them all without being distracted by unicorns at extremely high prices.  yall enjoy though!

45 minutes ago, Mule Skinner said:

One of the local stores has a steady supply of Knob Creek store picks.  Most are 12 year 10 month stuff and damn fine.  They have one now that is 14 years old, and superb.  All are right around that $60 out the door price range.  There is a never ending supply of the daily drinkers at that $18-$28 range.  I'm quite happy enjoying them all without being distracted by unicorns at extremely high prices.  yall enjoy though!

I agree that most of the KCSB PS bottles are great..and great value. Around here they are mostly all priced at $39.99 plus tax. 

I agree that most of the KCSB PS bottles are great..and great value. Around here they are mostly all priced at $39.99 plus tax. 

That’s in line with KCSiB PS prices around here too. They tend to be priced from $37 to low $40 range depending on the store.

I have more than enough bourbon to last me for oh, at least a couple of weeks (LOL).  To be honest the only things I would really like to get my hands on is GTS or WLW.  Not getting my hopes up however.

I'm interested in the BTAC bourbons, and Pappy.  I've never had the 4R LE or OFBB.  Guess those would be on my buy list,  but at retail.  I wont chase them up the secondary ladder.  

No chase for me either this year. I'll follow my typical routine, enter for GTS & WLW if I happen to stumble on a lottery, and buy a FR SmB LE and PHC if I happen to stumble on one on the shelves like I usually do.

• 2 weeks later...

New to bourbon here and was fortunate to get two bottles from the last two lotteries of New Hampshire State Liquor & Wine Outlet. GTS in February and a special July lottery for an allocation of ETL. Both my first bottles of each. Passed on a recent Pappy raffle they were holding. Just not that interested. I will surely enter any BTAC offerings in the fall.

None of the stores I frequent use the lottery system.  One of them had a first come first served sign up list for the BTAC and Pappy allocations, but due to geographical work changes and other time constraints (kids!) I have not been able to shop at that store since December so not even bothering this year.

I will chase, but only at the few places I normally shop at.  Will be happy with whatever I get at MSRP and no secondary market shopping for me.  

Never bought on secondary and probably never will. 

I only know one store that has a lottery drawing system and i will enter again this fall when they get their BTAC and VW allocations.  Scored (paid retail) a WLW from last year's drawing.  Wasn't so lucky with this year's Weller 10 and EHT 4grain drawings... 

Bevmo recently had a flash sale of allocated bottles but I didn't see the notice until too late... 

19 hours ago, fosmith said:

Never bought on secondary and probably never will. 

I only know one store that has a lottery drawing system and i will enter again this fall when they get their BTAC and VW allocations.  Scored (paid retail) a WLW from last year's drawing.  Wasn't so lucky with this year's Weller 10 and EHT 4grain drawings... 

Bevmo recently had a flash sale of allocated bottles but I didn't see the notice until too late... 

I'm in the same boat, lost on both.

A local store is holding a lottery this Saturday for some allocated bottles (ORVW, THH, W12, ETL, ECBP, and a few others.)  They sold tickets to it for $10/ea. but you get a free pour of one of their store pick bottles.  The lottery is limited to 75 people for around 17 bottles. They usually end up with some "consolation" bottles as well of things like WSR or ER10.  Their posted selling prices are a little above retail but not too crazy.  Mostly around +$10-$20.

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

A local store is holding a lottery this Saturday for some allocated bottles (ORVW, THH, W12, ETL, ECBP, and a few others.)  They sold tickets to it for $10/ea. but you get a free pour of one of their store pick bottles.  The lottery is limited to 75 people for around 17 bottles. They usually end up with some "consolation" bottles as well of things like WSR or ER10.  Their posted selling prices are a little above retail but not too crazy.  Mostly around +$10-$20.

I'd be happy to participate in one like this. 

I've mostly settled into drinking stagg jr and ECBP and am not interested in the trouble of chasing special releases this year (last year was a pain like never before) but I will definitely go out of my way to grab 2-4 midwinter nights drams especially since they aren't near as difficult to grab when they do pop up.

• I like it 2

This was the lineup today. ORVW and THH went 1 and 2. We ended up with a W12 and a 4RPS as both the wife and my numbers were called. I wouldn't have picked the 4R if I hadn't tried a sample of it at their tasting bar. It's an 8 year, 6 mo. OBSF and is really tasty. The $10 entry fee got us each a full pour of  anther of their store picks. I had an excellent WP10 and the wife had an EC ps that was 12 years old.

20180818_145132.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 1

On 8/18/2018 at 7:36 PM, Clueby said:

This was the lineup today. ORVW and THH went 1 and 2. We ended up with a W12 and a 4RPS as both the wife and my numbers were called. I wouldn't have picked the 4R if I hadn't tried a sample of it at their tasting bar. It's an 8 year, 6 mo. OBSF and is really tasty. The $10 entry fee got us each a full pour of  anther of their store picks. I had an excellent WP10 and the wife had an EC ps that was 12 years old.

20180818_145132.jpg

Congrats!  What was the Willett on display?

7 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Congrats!  What was the Willett on display?

Just those couple bottles of Pot Still.

I may stumble across an ECBP by luck sooner or later and despite my affection for less costly bottles, I can easily rationalize buying another before my C917 is emptied. So I've got a weakness, so what? It punches my buttons.

I know that the average buyer may not be as , umm, enthusiastic as those of us who frequesnt SB.com but when did Willet bong bottles become rare and desirable for a lottery? Are they just buying for the bottle? Has it really gotten all that scarce? I feel like I still see it all the time. 

I feel much the same way about WSR as well but I know all things Weller have gotten the "desirable" tag whether they deserve it or not.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I know that the average buyer may not be as , umm, enthusiastic as those of us who frequesnt SB.com but when did Willet bong bottles become rare and desirable for a lottery? Are they just buying for the bottle? Has it really gotten all that scarce? I feel like I still see it all the time. 

I feel much the same way about WSR as well but I know all things Weller have gotten the "desirable" tag whether they deserve it or not.

In this market, WPS is close to unicorn status.  Same with anything with Weller on it.  They can be found but it takes some serious hunting and typically would cost above retail.  I'm not a buyer of WPS at pretty much any price.  I will still pick up the occasional WSR when I find it for less than $20.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.