Lottery

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

In this market, WPS is close to unicorn status.  Same with anything with Weller on it.  They can be found but it takes some serious hunting and typically would cost above retail.  I'm not a buyer of WPS at pretty much any price.  I will still pick up the occasional WSR when I find it for less than $20.

Odd, I wasn't aware of this.  I picked up a bottle of WPS for $40, wasn't too hard of a find here in Pittsburgh.  No lottery either.  I love the stuff, very tasty.

WPS sits on the shelves in Lousiville, KY....  Funny how that works, was in South Carolina on business travel and stopped at a local store.  Guy said I have something good in the back not on shelf.  I think I scored big and he brings out a Buffalo Trace bottle....  smh

WPS sits on the shelves in Memphis too. The family size bottles are real shelf turds since no one wants them because they take up so much space.

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Odd, I wasn't aware of this.  I picked up a bottle of WPS for $40, wasn't too hard of a find here in Pittsburgh.  No lottery either.  I love the stuff, very tasty.

I was at a lottery last year where a WPS 1.75 was selected before GTS and other BTAC:blink:

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I was at a lottery last year where a WPS 1.75 was selected before GTS and other BTAC:blink:

Now THAT  is strange....  :o

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Holy bleep!!!  There's virtually nothing I would pick over GTS.

I enter some of the VA lotteries, but have yet to get a single thing.  That's the only LE "hunting" I do... don't care anymore... there's plenty of good, reasonably priced, easy to get stuff out there.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Wow.  That is shocking.  Maybe they wanted a big bottle so they could make a pretty lamp out of the bottle, LOL.

Just now, NDN98 said:

Wow.  That is shocking.  Maybe they wanted a big bottle so they could make a pretty lamp out of the bottle, LOL.

The kid..sorry..young man..acted like he just won $1,000,000!

4 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

WPS sits on the shelves in Lousiville, KY....  Funny how that works, was in South Carolina on business travel and stopped at a local store.  Guy said I have something good in the back not on shelf.  I think I scored big and he brings out a Buffalo Trace bottle....  smh

I saw a bottle of BT yesterday for $89.99 and ER10 for $99.99 in SC. I guess a sucker will get them eventually. 

33 minutes ago, Clueby said:

The kid..sorry..young man..acted like he just won $1,000,000!

That's pretty crazy.

I was at the Brentwood Total Wine lottery in June. The guy right behind me (roughly 95th person chosen) acted like that as he snagged a bottle of WP Black Prince for $450. I'm assuming he had $$$$ in his eyes thinking he'd flip the most expensive bottle there. I'm sure he had a rude awakening not long after he left.  I happily walked out with my $30 liter of W12

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Clueby said:

In this market, WPS is close to unicorn status.  Same with anything with Weller on it.  They can be found but it takes some serious hunting and typically would cost above retail.  I'm not a buyer of WPS at pretty much any price.  I will still pick up the occasional WSR when I find it for less than $20.

I can't think of a single store with a decent selection that doesn't have WPS on the shelf, funny how these things go. 

11 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

I saw a bottle of BT yesterday for $89.99 and ER10 for $99.99 in SC. I guess a sucker will get them eventually. 

Yeah, the recent unavailability of regular old BT in the Southeast is interesting.  I went to a local store a few months back that had a couple on the shelf that apparently had been recently placed there, because another customer bought them and commented on how hard they are to find. 

Then I was in the Midwest traveling this summer and went to a store that had at least a dozen 750 ml bottles on the shelf along side a few 1.75 l bottles.

Oh and I grabbed one of the family sized bottles for 50 bucks.  So yeah, pricing and availability is just all out of whack.

Edited by Bourserker

Found it strange about some of those lottery bottles as well.  ETL, W12, & OWA are now back of the shelves here but at their new pricing I'm no longer a buyer.

43 minutes ago, TunnelTiger said:

Found it strange about some of those lottery bottles as well.  ETL, W12, & OWA are now back of the shelves here but at their new pricing I'm no longer a buyer.

The "new pricing" are the stores.  I don't believe "MSRP" has really changed on those.  ETL should be around $35, W12 around $30, and OWA around $25.  Although I bought W12 for $19.99 from TW a few months ago.

16 hours ago, NDN98 said:

This would be awesome.  

20 hours ago, Clueby said:

19 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Now THAT  is strange....  :o

Doesn't seem that strange to me. To me it reflects the newer world of bourbon buyers where hype and trendiness is what is important and that mindset seems to be what is helping drive this market. The name Willett has plenty of hype associated with it and someone who hasn't or doesn't want to take the time to learn about what is out there buys what is "trendy". All the better for the rest of us!

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Wow...that's nuts. We can get BT and ER10 at the grocery store every day of the week here in Indiana for about $23 and $28 respectively. 

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Doesn't seem that strange to me. To me it reflects the newer world of bourbon buyers where hype and trendiness is what is important and that mindset seems to be what is helping drive this market. The name Willett has plenty of hype associated with it and someone who hasn't or doesn't want to take the time to learn about what is out there buys what is "trendy". All the better for the rest of us!

I hadn't thought to look at it that way; but, you're spot on, Bruce. 

That obviously classy bottle.   The larger size.    The name; 'Willett'.   The (over) price.   The fact that it was keeping company with the other stuff in the lottery. 

Hell, I want one, myself, now!

4 hours ago, Whiskey Lullaby said:

Wow...that's nuts. We can get BT and ER10 at the grocery store every day of the week here in Indiana for about $23 and $28 respectively. 

You can get those in most places in SC at $23 and $28 respectively, too...  That’s just a jackass store.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Very true. I just can't comprehend how little effort these "enthusiasts" put into this. It took me something like 15 mins to figure out GTS is the holy grail of bourbon after I decided to give bourbon a go.

15 minutes ago, Kane said:

Very true. I just can't comprehend how little effort these "enthusiasts" put into this. It took me something like 15 mins to figure out GTS is the holy grail of bourbon after I decided to give bourbon a go.

What you say, seems to be so, according to the forum. I just haven't been Indiana Jones lucky enough to prove it, yet. I'll have to go on believing that the Blanton's Gold is my primary chalice, so far!!!

• I like it 1

On 8/23/2018 at 8:34 PM, Bourserker said:

I enter some of the VA lotteries, but have yet to get a single thing.  That's the only LE "hunting" I do... don't care anymore... there's plenty of good, reasonably priced, easy to get stuff out there.

The VA ABC will have a lottery next week for some Wellers;

CYPB - $39.99 300 bottles

WLW 12 yo wheat - $39.99 34 bottles

WLW - $95.19 31 bottles

Special Reserve 1.75L $41.99 174 bottles

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

WLW - $95.19 31 bottles

Only thing I'm interested in on that list is the William Larue Weller...not a big wheater guy.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:40 AM, DCFan said:

WLW - $95.19 31 bottles

Interesting to note that the CYPB is a regular size bottle, while the W12 is a liter bottle, making CYPB more expensive. Also, W12 is just as low supply as WLW? That seems crazy to me.

I'll be entering for the first three, but I find the craze on the WSR one of the worst hype/quality situations in bourbon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.