Lottery

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Jazz June said:

Interesting to note that the CYPB is a regular size bottle, while the W12 is a liter bottle, making CYPB more expensive. Also, W12 is just as low supply as WLW? That seems crazy to me.

I'll be entering for the first three, but I find the craze on the WSR one of the worst hype/quality situations in bourbon.

Ageee on the WSR. Wouldnt drink it if it were free.

14 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Wouldnt drink it if it were free.

That's harsh. While I don't necessarily search it out, I'll pick up a bottle (for under $18) when I'm out. Some nights it just works, and the most recent bottle I think has improved quite a bit. 

5 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Interesting to note that the CYPB is a regular size bottle, while the W12 is a liter bottle, making CYPB more expensive. Also, W12 is just as low supply as WLW? That seems crazy to me.

I'll be entering for the first three, but I find the craze on the WSR one of the worst hype/quality situations in bourbon.

Well I do think this was the amount remaining after they finished off their secret lists.  The WLW and the W12 aren't in even case amounts.

11 hours ago, Jazz June said:

Oh I'm all in on all 4 and if the lottery gods screw up and accidentally bestow a bottle on me I'll take it and run happily into the night.

9 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Ageee on the WSR. Wouldnt drink it if it were free.

Not even mixed with OGD114 to make Old Grandpa Weller's Four Grain (3WSR:2OGD)????  I'd be all over that in a heartbeat!  JMHO, tho'.

8-)

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

11 hours ago, dad-proof said:

That's harsh. While I don't necessarily search it out, I'll pick up a bottle (for under $18) when I'm out. Some nights it just works, and the most recent bottle I think has improved quite a bit. 

VA sells at MSRP, so I assume the $21 they want for a regular size bottle of WSR is the current MSRP. I'm impressed there are still stores selling such a high demand product for under that, although maybe it isn't so high demand in places where people can actually try it.

And when I say the price/quality ratio is bad, I mean the prices it seems to fetch in the market. At $21 it is perfectly reasonable, or even a good deal. I certainly don't blame BT, they have not pushed the prices beyond what the quality deserves, the market has. My impressions are also based off old label bottles from a few years ago, so if quality has improved then maybe I should re-evaluate. And speaking of evaluations, what are the early returns on the CYPB? Seems a bit gimmicky to me, but almost certainly good for the $40 price point. I won't be turning down a bottle. I just wish OWA store picks went for reasonable prices around here and/or lasted for more than a few hours on the shelves.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:18 AM, GeeTen said:

Not even mixed with OGD114 to make Old Grandpa Weller's Four Grain (3WSR:2OGD)????  I'd be all over that in a heartbeat!  JMHO, tho'.

8-)

Still haven’t tried this. Not a fan of either on their own. A buddy has them both.. maybe we can mix up a batch. 

Did this come about because someone didnt like them on their own or just stumbled upon?

Still haven’t tried this. Not a fan of either on their own. A buddy has them both.. maybe we can mix up a batch. 
Did this come about because someone didnt like them on their own or just stumbled upon?

I think I was the one that started experimenting with this based on a blend suggestion I found on another thread somewhere a few years ago. And yes, I was initially not a fan of OGD114, and I’m still not a huge fan of WSR, but I don’t hate it. Anyway, after experimenting with different ratios, I settled on the 60:40 WSR:OGD114 ratio for Grandpa Weller’s Four Grain. Others like a 50:50 ratio. I meant to bring you a sample bottle this spring when we met and forgot to bring it with me. I really like this blend, and I like it better than either bourbon separately.
  • I like it 1

That’s pretty cool..seems a lot of SBers are fans of your concoction. Hope my friend still has both.. looking forward to giving it a try. 

• I like it 1

On 8/25/2018 at 8:40 AM, DCFan said:

The VA ABC will have a lottery next week for some Wellers;

CYPB - $39.99 300 bottles

WLW 12 yo wheat - $39.99 34 bottles

WLW - $95.19 31 bottles

Special Reserve 1.75L $41.99 174 bottles

0-4. On to the next one.

This was the lineup today. ORVW and THH went 1 and 2. We ended up with a W12 and a 4RPS as both the wife and my numbers were called. I wouldn't have picked the 4R if I hadn't tried a sample of it at their tasting bar. It's an 8 year, 6 mo. OBSF and is really tasty. The $10 entry fee got us each a full pour of  anther of their store picks. I had an excellent WP10 and the wife had an EC ps that was 12 years old.
20180818_145132.thumb.jpg.cda60cf90d3b82e3e9c6670feebe7f57.jpg

LOL at liquor distribution. WPS is pretty easy to find in Texas and I don’t exaggerate when I say your almost more likely to see WSR on the shelf here than JB white. That being said I did a lottery last year with a very good selection. For consolation prizes they had a few cases of W12 available which doesn’t sit on the shelf but can be found by most bourbon enthusiast here. They also had a few bottles of Old Fitz BIB which isn’t distributed here and is unheard of. People where taking Old Fitz over W12, which I’m sure is crazy for folks in Illinois which has Old Fitz.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw our upcoming lottery is featuring WLW and GTS, going to put in on both, hope something comes through!

Just now, PhantomLamb said:

Just saw our upcoming lottery is featuring WLW and GTS, going to put in on both, hope something comes through!

Good Luck!   C'nardly go wrong with either.

Just now, Richnimrod said:

Good Luck!   C'nardly go wrong with either.

I've never had either so I'm psyched!

On 9/4/2018 at 9:31 PM, lcpfratn said:

I really like this blend, and I like it better than either bourbon separately.

I second that the sum is better than the individual parts. I favor the 2:1 WSR/OGD ratio vs 50/50. 

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I second that the sum is better than the individual parts. I favor the 2:1 WSR/OGD ratio vs 50/50. 

I do 3 WSR to 2 OGD114.  Never tried it with OGD BIB.  But then, I don't drink OGD BIB with anything but itself.  OGD BIB is my most-consumed bourbon.

• I like it 1

Signed up for the lottery this morning..got there at 9:45, store hours 10:00-22:00. Already 7 names on the list. Very cool older gentleman working says they won't go in order but random. Wouldn't mind being 8th but we'll see. One month away. 

30 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I do 3 WSR to 2 OGD114.  Never tried it with OGD BIB.  But then, I don't drink OGD BIB with anything but itself.  OGD BIB is my most-consumed bourbon.

Yes! 3:2.  I was mistaken, thanks Harry, 3:2 was the best. 15 oz 114 and 10 oz WSR

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Sorry, thread jack over. 

Good luck Horses. When is the lottery?

Ha. No problem Bob! My hope was to get there first and get on tap to get the first pick but reality was that others are more connected. Actually had this exact scenario in a dream last night. The lottery is first week of November. hope I asked for the right day off. 

• 1 month later...

Lottery time at the Va ABC with registration starting Monday.

George T.  Stagg 1785 bottles @ $95.19

Thomas Handy Rye 150 bottles @ $89.99

William Larue Weller bourbon 448 bottles @ $95.19

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

Lottery time at the Va ABC with registration starting Monday.

George T.  Stagg 1785 bottles @ $95.19

Thomas Handy Rye 150 bottles @ $89.99

William Larue Weller bourbon 448 bottles @ $95.19

Dang, those are good prices.  It's PVW here, I don't think I"m winning this time though...

11 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Dang, those are good prices.  It's PVW here, I don't think I"m winning this time though...

That's what MSRP looks like. :)

Got super lucky with a PVW20. Missed the 23 by two spots but no disappointment. 

I think most folks would say that the current 20yr is more enjoyable than the 23yr anyway, but many of us still want to scratch that itch. Congratulations!
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.