Lottery

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Submitted 2 entries tonight for PVW 15. The BTAC lottery was a bust but I’m feeling like pappy won’t let me down this time.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:39 AM, GeeTen said:

I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good!   ☺️

I really, really like the "8 Years in the Desert" more than the "new" Prisoner.  I first tried it at the Capital Grille when "they were featuring it after the "Wagyu and Wine" promotion ended.  IIRC, the winemaker David Phinney sold The Prisoner brand and agreed to an 8-year "Non-compete" agreement (thus the "8 Years in the Desert" as the sale was 8 years ago, get it?).  Now the Orin Swift Winery has David Swift Phinney as their winemaker.  I really like the dark fruit and oak of this blend of zinfandel, petite syrah, and syrah - especially with a "Pittsburgh rare" dry-aged sirloin strip steak.  But my doctor says I shouldn't do this too often - getting old(er) by the day.

Now back on topic - missed a HH 27, EC 23 and a 2018 WLW (among others) in the same lottery.  Oh poop - I want to win them all!  Just kidding.

I had heard that as well.  The specific clause was that he couldn't make a blend where Zinfandel was the primary grape (as he was still making plenty of wines under the Orin Swift Winery).  

4 hours ago, DCFan said:

Submitted 2 entries tonight for PVW 15. The BTAC lottery was a bust but I’m feeling like pappy won’t let me down this time.

Good luck.  I entered tonight as well.

This was a weird year for me. I used to enter 3 lotteries at my usual places in the worst case, and they'd have multiples of all the BTAC, pappiez, PHC, FR LEs -- pretty much everything there is. This year all 3 got zero bottles, so no lottery for me. My connections also got no bottles (or they may have chosen not to disclose this info to me), but I'm left with a big case of nothing, a first in recent memory. I haven't even seen those $9999 ORVWs anywhere, where has all the whiskey gone?

Anyways, I'll skip 2018.

This was a weird year for me. I used to enter 3 lotteries at my usual places in the worst case, and they'd have multiples of all the BTAC, pappiez, PHC, FR LEs -- pretty much everything there is. This year all 3 got zero bottles, so no lottery for me. My connections also got no bottles (or they may have chosen not to disclose this info to me), but I'm left with a big case of nothing, a first in recent memory. I haven't even seen those $9999 ORVWs anywhere, where has all the whiskey gone?

Anyways, I'll skip 2018.

I wonder if it’s going to restaurants and bars, which use to not bother.

54 minutes ago, Kane said:

Anyways, I'll skip 2018.

Probably went secondary this year. The retail guys are feeling stupid to take retail or retail + a little when they can "legally" cash in. My LS guys holds a few back for secondary and he gets stupid money within a couple of hours. The buyer comes in with cash and leaves with a receipt. He puts the 5 Pappys out for $6k and gone! The 5 BTACs for $2500 same thing. Why should he sell me a ER17 for $200? 

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Probably went secondary this year. The retail guys are feeling stupid to take retail or retail + a little when they can "legally" cash in. My LS guys holds a few back for secondary and he gets stupid money within a couple of hours. The buyer comes in with cash and leaves with a receipt. He puts the 5 Pappys out for $6k and gone! The 5 BTACs for $2500 same thing. Why should he sell me a ER17 for $200? 

I'm either too naive or a complete idiot, but the possibility of advertising on secondary but selling legally never occurred to me. Why not indeed... :(

Well, there is that little detail about all of the other business you and I give him throughout the rest of the year that the guy buying at secondary probably doesn’t give him.
  • I like it 2

• 3 months later...

Va ABC upcoming lottery;

OFC Bourbon 1993 Vintage 13 bottles @ $2499.99

Double Eagle Very Rare 5 bottles @ $1999.99

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Va ABC upcoming lottery;

Starting to be Scotch like with these "OLD" releases...

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

Va ABC upcoming lottery;

Where do I sign up?  :wacko:

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Where do I sign up?  :wacko:

Too Late!    I already bought up ALL the chances, fosmith.  :o

• 1 month later...

The Va ABC just had a lottery for 331 bottles of PVW 20 @ $169.99.  There were 39,463 entries.  Three of those were mine but no winners in the bunch.

Local store is doing this on Saturday:

Here's how it will work-
Starting at 4 PM, we will begin to collect entries to the lottery. All you have to do is be in-store and in the line at 4 PM to receive your entry, one per person. Once all of the entries are collected, we will begin drawing names (again, for a chance to purchase). All the bottles will be on a table and the first chosen gets first pick of one bottle and so on until all the bottles are gone. You must be at least 21 years of age to enter the lottery.
We will have the following quantities of these limited whiskeys-
Blanton's (18 bottles, $69.99)
Weller Special Reserve 1.75L (6 bottles, $48.99)
Weller Special Reserve 750mL (12 bottles, $29.99)
Eagle Rare (12 bottles, $39.99)
Col EH Taylor Small Batch (6 bottles, $49.99)
Michter's Barrel Strength Rye (3 bottles, $94.99)
Michter's 10 Year (1 bottle, $149.99)
Angel's Envy Rye (2 bottles, $99.99)

There will probably be several hundred people there for those 60 slightly overpriced bottles. 

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Here's how it will work-
Starting at 4 PM, we will begin to collect entries to the lottery. All you have to do is be in-store and in the line at 4 PM to receive your entry, one per person. Once all of the entries are collected, we will begin drawing names (again, for a chance to purchase). All the bottles will be on a table and the first chosen gets first pick of one bottle and so on until all the bottles are gone. You must be at least 21 years of age to enter the lottery.

There will probably be several hundred people there for those 60 slightly overpriced bottles. 

They had a strange way of giving people the opportunity to buy Blanton's a few months ago. I forget the exact details, but I believe you had to pay for a chance to enter the room where there were a bunch of paper bags. If the bag you chose had a bottle in it, you could then buy the bottle. They have good prices on most store picks and regular shelf items, but they are irritating in regards to allocated stuff. 

I don’t think I’d pay that price for any of that stuff if it was on the shelf.

I don’t want to knock this store for doing this. There’s cost to holding this inventory for a store and the costs of putting this together. It does give people who haven’t had these to obtain it at a fair price. It’s just not for me and I guess a lot of people on here.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I don’t think I’d pay that price for any of that stuff if it was on the shelf.

I don’t want to knock this store for doing this. There’s cost to holding this inventory for a store and the costs of putting this together. It does give people who haven’t had these to obtain it at a fair price. It’s just not for me and I guess a lot of people on here.

I think it's a great way to get people into your store. You know you're getting customers with cash in their pockets with an extreme desire to buy. I'm sure that many of the losers will walk away but there has to be some (a lot?) who will buy something else since they're already there.

• I like it 1

23 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

They had a strange way of giving people the opportunity to buy Blanton's a few months ago. I forget the exact details, but I believe you had to pay for a chance to enter the room where there were a bunch of paper bags. If the bag you chose had a bottle in it, you could then buy the bottle. They have good prices on most store picks and regular shelf items, but they are irritating in regards to allocated stuff. 

I actually went to that event and had a lot of fun, because it was something different. 

There were over 100 bags, so it was like a giant game of “memory”. 

Some bags had random things like jars of pickles/olives, potato chips, beer, etc.  you could buy what was in your bag, or put it back and pick a different bag.   If you were still not happy, you could go back to the end of the line and cycle through again.  You could kind of watch what people were not picking, to avoid duds. 

I didn’t really want the Blanton’s, and  instead got a bottle of Weller Antique for $30.  A way better prize in my mind. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Here's how it will work-

Well I would really have to feel sorry for those in the St Louis area, to have to do a lottery for whiskeys that are in stock and available below those prices in our local market. Exceptions might apply to my statement, but on any particular day I can walk into my regular LS and pick up anything on the list above (Michter's 10 a possible exception). Since I've read posts like this for years it's not surprising, but it does give me an appreciation for our normal strong supply. If you want to move to a city with the only criteria being an ample supply of great bourbon brands it would be hard to beat Memphis. As a famous American once said, "No brag, just fact".

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I actually went to that event and had a lot of fun, because it was something different. 

There were over 100 bags, so it was like a giant game of “memory”. 

Some bags had random things like jars of pickles/olives, potato chips, beer, etc.  you could buy what was in your bag, or put it back and pick a different bag.   If you were still not happy, you could go back to the end of the line and cycle through again.  You could kind of watch what people were not picking, to avoid duds. 

I didn’t really want the Blanton’s, and  instead got a bottle of Weller Antique for $30.  A way better prize in my mind. 

I went as well but from my position I couldn't see what was being picked before me so memory didn't help me.

Well I would really have to feel sorry for those in the St Louis area, to have to do a lottery for whiskeys that are in stock and available below those prices in our local market. Exceptions might apply to my statement, but on any particular day I can walk into my regular LS and pick up anything on the list above (Michter's 10 a possible exception). Since I've read posts like this for years it's not surprising, but it does give me an appreciation for our normal strong supply. If you want to move to a city with the only criteria being an ample supply of great bourbon brands it would be hard to beat Memphis. As a famous American once said, "No brag, just fact".

I think both of those Michter’s are exceptions to being readily available, and Blanton’s is not as readily available as it used to be, but it’s still not that hard to find if you check in with your favorite local proprietor on a periodic basis.

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Here's how it will work-

THESE?????   ...Are "limited whiskeys"...?   :o

Sad statement on the current situation in many areas, though.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I went as well but from my position I couldn't see what was being picked before me so memory didn't help me.

Next time, lmk you can’t see and I’ll put you up on my shoulders.

?

It’s slightly frustrating living in STL, but I do enjoy the challenge aspect of it all.   I also like helping friends find bottles. It’s kind of like a big team scavenger hunt in a way.  

Without divulging any secrets, let’s just say Ive gotten very creative in the last few years about getting what I want.

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Next time, lmk you can’t see and I’ll put you up on my shoulders.

?

It's a deal! Should I call 911 before or after?

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.