Lottery

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My county in MD is a controlled county. They do a big lottery in January for Pappy and BTAC. They do an event in Jan as well at one of the county stores with other stuff first come first serve like OWA, which is the only time the stores have that. I do and don’t like this system. I like the pricing of a controlled county. I’m still fairly new as far as really getting into bourbon but have drank for some time. I almost like that I don’t have to chase around finding the super HTF stuff. I can wait in line if I feel it’s worth getting any of the FCFS stuff. I do get some of the fun of hunting for some allocated stuff like Blanton’s and limited release stuff like ECBP. Non allocated/limited release stuff I can go online and see which stores have what.

They do another event in June with all first come first serve. But at least some of the PS offering they don’t release. until later in the day. The Jan event was 2 days Friday and Saturday. The June event is Friday. Have to take off work just to get anything FCFS for the Friday stuff. Not sure why they do stuff during the week.

Since mine and Jeff's post a couple hours ago we just get another email from the LS. Says: CEHT SiB and 1792 BIB hit today. Apparently there's plenty since it is no limit and on the shelves. :) 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, DCFan said:

The Va ABC just had a lottery for 331 bottles of PVW 20 @ $169.99.  There were 39,463 entries.  Three of those were mine but no winners in the bunch.

Went 0 for 2 in my household.  The PVW20 was my requested Father's Day gift.

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

Local store is doing this on Saturday:

Here's how it will work-
Starting at 4 PM, we will begin to collect entries to the lottery. All you have to do is be in-store and in the line at 4 PM to receive your entry, one per person. Once all of the entries are collected, we will begin drawing names (again, for a chance to purchase). All the bottles will be on a table and the first chosen gets first pick of one bottle and so on until all the bottles are gone. You must be at least 21 years of age to enter the lottery.
We will have the following quantities of these limited whiskeys-
Blanton's (18 bottles, $69.99)
Weller Special Reserve 1.75L (6 bottles, $48.99)
Weller Special Reserve 750mL (12 bottles, $29.99)
Eagle Rare (12 bottles, $39.99)
Col EH Taylor Small Batch (6 bottles, $49.99)
Michter's Barrel Strength Rye (3 bottles, $94.99)
Michter's 10 Year (1 bottle, $149.99)
Angel's Envy Rye (2 bottles, $99.99)

There will probably be several hundred people there for those 60 slightly overpriced bottles. 

I doubt I would wait in line for that one.  The only exciting one there for me is the Michter's Rye (and the odds don't seem that great).

I doubt I would wait in line for that one.  The only exciting one there for me is the Michter's Rye (and the odds don't seem that great).

Regular Michter's Rye?

On 6/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, Clueby said:

Local store is doing this on Saturday:

Here's how it will work-
Starting at 4 PM, we will begin to collect entries to the lottery. All you have to do is be in-store and in the line at 4 PM to receive your entry, one per person. Once all of the entries are collected, we will begin drawing names (again, for a chance to purchase). All the bottles will be on a table and the first chosen gets first pick of one bottle and so on until all the bottles are gone. You must be at least 21 years of age to enter the lottery.
We will have the following quantities of these limited whiskeys-
Blanton's (18 bottles, $69.99)
Weller Special Reserve 1.75L (6 bottles, $48.99)
Weller Special Reserve 750mL (12 bottles, $29.99)
Eagle Rare (12 bottles, $39.99)
Col EH Taylor Small Batch (6 bottles, $49.99)
Michter's Barrel Strength Rye (3 bottles, $94.99)
Michter's 10 Year (1 bottle, $149.99)
Angel's Envy Rye (2 bottles, $99.99)

There will probably be several hundred people there for those 60 slightly overpriced bottles. 

What a joke.  I wouldn't waste my time.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:40 PM, Richnimrod said:

THESE?????   ...Are "limited whiskeys"...?   :o

Sad statement on the current situation in many areas, though.

Yeah in Indy, except for ER and AER, the rest are often difficult to find.

• I like it 1

On 6/6/2019 at 8:51 PM, jwperry said:

Regular Michter's Rye?

The barrel strength one.  I really like that one.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Next on the ABC lottery hit parade are 2 bottles that every bourbon aficionado would want to display on their bar;

Blade and Bow 22, 18 bottles @ $249.99

Mister Sam Tribute Whiskey, 17 bottles @ $249.99

I'll be passing on these. ;) 

• I like it 1

On 6/8/2019 at 10:52 PM, JoeTerp said:

The barrel strength one.  I really like that one.

Just opened my first bottle of this. I concur, it’s very good.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:49 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Just opened my first bottle of this. I concur, it’s very good.

It's good whiskey, but here in SC it sat on the shelf for over a year at my local. Not really raffle material, around here.

• 5 months later...

It's PVW lottery time at the Va ABC.  6 lucky winners will get the PVW Collection at $1499.99.  The MSRP prices are listed besides each for the individual bottle lottery.

PVW23 - $299.99

PVW20 - $199.99

PVW15 - $119.99

PVW12 - $79.99

ORVW10 - $69.99

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

It's PVW lottery time at the Va ABC.  6 lucky winners will get the PVW Collection at $1499.99.  The MSRP prices are listed besides each for the individual bottle lottery.

PVW23 - $299.99

PVW20 - $199.99

PVW15 - $119.99

PVW12 - $79.99

ORVW10 - $69.99

Hmmmm. Marked up to nearly double the MSRP?   For myself? PASS!   

Of course in these times of super hype for limited availability Bourbons, some might think of this possibility as a major bargain.   To each his/her own, I guess.

Hmmmm. Marked up to nearly double the MSRP?   For myself? PASS!   
Of course in these times of super hype for limited availability Bourbons, some might think of this possibility as a major bargain.   To each his/her own, I guess.

Rich, Those are actually the suggested retail prices for those these days.

16 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Rich, Those are actually the suggested retail prices for those these days.

But not for the "collection".  Totaled up individually it comes to $769.95 so the ABC is in effect charging secondary prices for the set. But they did the same thing last year as well. 

And they don't let HarryinWashDC play in their lottery either!  Even if they included the entire 2019 BTAC collection for $1499, I'm still boycotting the VABC Lottery.  "Who's with me?  Let's GO!  Heeeyyy . . . ."   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

1 minute ago, GeeTen said:

And they don't let HarryinWashDC play in their lottery either! 

All he has to do is change his user ID to HarryinVirginny and he'd be good to go.  ;) 

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

All he has to do is change his user ID to HarryinVirginny and he'd be good to go.  ;) 

Tried it.  Even put a "Virginia is for Lovers" bumper sticker on the back of my shirt.  Clerk just laughed at me.?

They have the BTAC here in PA on lottery now.  All offerings for $110.

I put in for GTS, WLW, and ER17.  Will see what happens...

58 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

They have the BTAC here in PA on lottery now.  All offerings for $110.

I put in for GTS, WLW, and ER17.  Will see what happens...

Well, if you don't want the rye, I'm up for a trip to Pittsburgh... just sayin.  :) :) :)

But not for the "collection".  Totaled up individually it comes to $769.95 so the ABC is in effect charging secondary prices for the set. But they did the same thing last year as well. 

Ahh! I wasn’t paying attention to the price for the set. That’s still a fair price in my opinion for the entire set...it doesn’t come anywhere close to estimated secondary pricing. If I was offered a complete set for approximately $1,500, I’d probably jump on it. How many other times or places are most folks going to get that opportunity? Hell, I’ve seen a single bottle of 15yr sell for more than that...which is ridiculous...and the 20yr and 23yr secondary prices are even more ridiculous than that!
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Well, if you don't want the rye, I'm up for a trip to Pittsburgh... just sayin.  :) :) :)

Wish I would've known sooner, I would've put in for you lol.

Rye is fine by me, just not my favorite.  I need to spend time working through several before I jump ship :P

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hit on my counties Pappy Lotto today for a 15 year for $120. Stoked. Will pick up sometime this week.

• I like it 10

10 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

I hit on my counties Pappy Lotto today for a 15 year for $120. Stoked. Will pick up sometime this week.

Hey!   Good for you, m'9779!   The 15 is generally the 'pick of the litter' (at least for my taste buddies), and in today's market $120 is likely as good as you'll do.  ?    ENJOY!  ?

• I like it 2

Hey!   Good for you, m'9779!   The 15 is generally the 'pick of the litter' (at least for my taste buddies), and in today's market $120 is likely as good as you'll do.  [emoji847]    ENJOY!  [emoji39]

Thanks. That’s generally what I hear. I have only had ORVW and Lot B. I like the higher proofs so an older ORVW sounds like I should enjoy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.