Lottery

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Came up with nothing for this year, maybe next year...

Same here, kinda. -_- The one store around here that used to do a fair raffle didn't do one this year. They decided to just put things out on the shelf a bottle or two at a time. This is particularly sad because they sold things pretty must at suggested retail and didn't gouge. It was a good ride while it lasted. I have to admit that I was pretty lucky there in the past. Oh well. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I remember the days of walking into stores and picking the LE's off the shelf or logging into a website and ordering what I wanted. Sadly,  those days are long gone.

The lottery in Ohio runs something like this. I would have to drive to a liquor 40 miles from me and stand in line to register for the lottery. Then wait until they might call my name for the privilege to buy a bottle. Who has time for that dumb shit?

Anyway, I have all of the FR LE SmB back to the first, the '08 Mariage. Looks like the streak stops here. It's been a good run!!

• I like it 4

1 minute ago, Phil T said:

Anyway, I have all of the FR LE SmB back to the first, the '08 Mariage. Looks like the streak stops here. It's been a good run!!

You're making me drool thinking of the '08 Mariage ?. After the 2010 LE 100th anniversary that was 17yr OBSV, the Mariage is one of my favorite FR's

22 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

I hit on my counties Pappy Lotto today for a 15 year for $120. Stoked. Will pick up sometime this week.

Very nice, enjoy it.  I was able to pick up a Lot B in that lottery.  It has been a good year for me in the county lottery.  

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

You're making me drool thinking of the '08 Mariage ?. After the 2010 LE 100th anniversary that was 17yr OBSV, the Mariage is one of my favorite FR's

The '08 Mariage is the most unique bourbon I have ever drunk. Truly amazing. And....I still have a couple of the 100th anniversary. 

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

The '08 Mariage is the most unique bourbon I have ever drunk. Truly amazing. And....I still have a couple of the 100th anniversary. 

You're a very fortunate man, good for you!!

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Same here, kinda. -_- The one store around here that used to do a fair raffle didn't do one this year. They decided to just put things out on the shelf a bottle or two at a time. This is particularly sad because they sold things pretty must at suggested retail and didn't gouge. It was a good ride while it lasted. I have to admit that I was pretty lucky there in the past. Oh well. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

I wish I had a history like that.  Honestly, when I started into all this I had no idea that the industry was "peaking" and this was the next big thing.  Kind of disappointing and maybe not the best time to get into the hobby but better late than never I guess ?.

7 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I wish I had a history like that.  Honestly, when I started into all this I had no idea that the industry was "peaking" and this was the next big thing.  Kind of disappointing and maybe not the best time to get into the hobby but better late than never I guess ?.

You're in on the ground floor for the next glut.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I think you've been at sea too long. You're starting to hallucinate. ;) 

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I think you've been at sea too long. You're starting to hallucinate. ;) 

When I was in Kentucky last year I THOUGHT I was hallucinating, with all the feverish production expansion I was seeing... ;)

• I like it 5

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I certainly hope so...

I entered the lottery today for the PVW Collection.  Now how to tell the wifey when I get the call that I'm buying 5 bottles of bourbon for $1500.....  ?

• I like it 2

I had my bourbon zen moment today when I declined 3 lottery entries for my Joseph Magnus purchase. There was a significant pause before the store owner could register that I didn't want my name in the lottery, I told him that I'd rather keep my sanity and dignity than come waste hours at his store next Saturday.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

I entered the lottery today for the PVW Collection.  Now how to tell the wifey when I get the call that I'm buying 5 bottles of bourbon for $1500.....  ?

you also plan on having that conversation?

5 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

you also plan on having that conversation?

I told her last night and surprisingly the roof is still intact.  Good luck to you Joe in this end of the year lottery wrap up.

Was excited to learn my son won a Stagg SR from the BTAC from the Pa lottery.

Nice to have a son in a state that does a big lottery for its residents.

Here's to hoping that Dad might get that for his Christmas present, LOL.

• I like it 2

17 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

Was excited to learn my son won a Stagg SR from the BTAC from the Pa lottery.

Nice to have a son in a state that does a big lottery for its residents.

Here's to hoping that Dad might get that for his Christmas present, LOL.

All those times you disciplined him when he was a kid.....hope that his memory is short!

Just messing with ya.....?

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

All those times you disciplined him when he was a kid.....hope that his memory is short!

Just messing with ya.....?

LOL - so true - then I think of all the times Dad has bailed him out with a few bucks - maybe call it even?   LOL

• I like it 4

All this talk about the BTAC and Pappy and other fall releases is making me even more worried for 'The Mitten State' . . . and in particular ME!    (I mean... I'm nearly out of whiskey!!!)   Well... not really.

I have been told by my favorite retailer that all the Fall release stuff is unlikely to appear in my area before the calendar rolls over.   Gotta love the 3-tier system!    Especially when the middle tier seems to have screwed the pooch so blatantly... and apparently hasn't decided to give that poor old dog a rest yet.  ...Poor little critter!

• I like it 2

So I went to a lottery event today, the only one I’ll do this year. The list of bottles wasn’t as great as it has been in previous years for this one, but still a few things I would buy, at good prices. The order in which people chose stuff was a little bizarre. First overall pick was OFBB. Second pick was Angel’s Envy Cask Strength. 

Again I didn’t think the list was that amazing, but those went ahead bottles of Stagg, Handy, Lot B, ORVW, EHT Amaranth, Weller CYPB, Weller 12, etc.

I routinely pass on the AECS, and I think OFBB has become very overhyped and overpriced for what it is these days. Just goes to show how different opinions are though. 

23 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

So I went to a lottery event today, the only one I’ll do this year. The list of bottles wasn’t as great as it has been in previous years for this one, but still a few things I would buy, at good prices. The order in which people chose stuff was a little bizarre. First overall pick was OFBB. Second pick was Angel’s Envy Cask Strength. 

Again I didn’t think the list was that amazing, but those went ahead bottles of Stagg, Handy, Lot B, ORVW, EHT Amaranth, Weller CYPB, Weller 12, etc.

I routinely pass on the AECS, and I think OFBB has become very overhyped and overpriced for what it is these days. Just goes to show how different opinions are though. 

my favorite lottery story is from a few years back.

1st guy chosen walked past ORVW, LotB, and a few others to grab a 750ml Willett Pot Still. 
Guy was happy as hell, and I suppose that’s what really matters.

My other good lottery story was when I sent my wife while I was outta town.

One of the guys (one of those guys we all get to know from regularly attending these events, because the same people all show up)

started chatting her up (he didn’t know she was my wife) trying to convince her to pick crap bottles for me (her story was to play dumb and get a Christmas gift for her hubby).

So she just listened and went along with this guys game, till she got picked fairly early, and grabbed the ORVW.

Thr guy was like “I thought you were going to get (crappy bottle)?

Why’d you take that?”

She just smiles and goes to the checkout.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

1st guy chosen walked past ORVW, LotB, and a few others to grab a 750ml Willett Pot Still. 

One of the guys (one of those guys we all get to know from regularly attending these events, because the same people all show up)

started chatting her up (he didn’t know she was my wife) trying to convince her to pick crap bottles for me (her story was to play dumb and get a Christmas gift for her hubby).

So she just listened and went along with this guys game, till she got picked fairly early, and grabbed the ORVW.

Why’d you take that?”

I’m pretty sure I was at the first one you’re referring to. There was an audible gasp in the small liquor store when he picked the 1.75 pot still. Asked the liquor store afterwards and he indicated the guy was fairly new to bourbon. 

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Why’d you take that?”

Ha!  Good Girl!!!    Of course, if the WPS was still available, the dude in question might have a shot at that, eh?

3 hours ago, Tkersting said:

I’m pretty sure I was at the first one you’re referring to. There was an audible gasp in the small liquor store when he picked the 1.75 pot still. Asked the liquor store afterwards and he indicated the guy was fairly new to bourbon. 

I was at that one in the St. Charles area? Yeah that's the one I stayed till the very end when all numbers had been called and my number was never drawn. Turned out my number wasn't even put in there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.