What to do with "Bad" Bourbon?

PhantomLamb
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

First of all, when I say "bad" I don't mean something you don't enjoy, however, maybe it just isn't agreeing with you at the moment.

I figured I would ask this as the palette can change quite often.  I found this to be the case last night, I went for a glass of OF Signature which is normally one of my favorites.  Instead of the smooth caramelly finish that I usually enjoy, which is what the nose was hinting at, it tasted of corn and almost like anise, very medicinal.  I walked away for a few minutes and added a few drops of water, ate some crackers to reset the palette and still nothing.  

I couldn't stomach it any longer so I ended up tossing what little was left, which leads me to the question, what do you do with a bourbon that isn't agreeing with you?  Ignore it, power through, or toss it?  I know OF will come back around another day, I just found it odd how off-color it was yesterday.  

Interested to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

If I'm off and I'm not enjoying what I poured I typically make a cocktail out of it.

I generally start with a very small pour, basically a sip, to start with so I can figure where my palate is that day. If I can't find anything that hits the spot I just walk away. If I happen to start with a big pour and I'm not feeling it I do what Kevin does and turn it into a cocktail. I almost never drainpour. 

Cocktails, cook, top off a 3L barrel when aging, party table etc . . . 

The very best way I can use up excess bourbon/rye is making Hot Toddys in the wintertime.  Easy to make, everyone likes them, you get rid of 2oz per drink, and it does not matter which bourbon you use.    

I leave partial bottles at tail gates or cook outs fairly often. 

Some I will sample out. Some I’ll give to guys just starting on the journey. 

I do experience palate shift due to food, other drink, pollen, level of tiredness, medicine, dirty cat litter box cleaning, etc., but over dozens of years I have only emptied the last 2 inches or so of one bourbon bottle.  I did that after trying to use it up in cocktails, barbecue sauces, punches, one party table (overheard "DON'T drink that - it's crap"), vatting (blending with other bourbon), adding vanilla, adding sugar, pouring some and letting it sit for a couple of hours, etc.  I did NOT use it as varnish remover or wood stain.

EDIT - Also, when it was "out", I always warned people, "You might not like this one so taste it so you KNOW not to buy it."  I'd never sandbag a bourbon geek.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
clarification
  • I like it 2

36 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I do experience palate shift due to food, other drink, pollen, level of tiredness, medicine, dirty cat litter box cleaning, etc., but over dozens of years I have only emptied the last 2 inches or so of one bourbon bottle.  I did that after trying to use it up in cocktails, barbecue sauces, punches, one party table (overheard "DON'T drink that - it's crap"), vatting (blending with other bourbon), adding vanilla, adding sugar, pouring some and letting it sit for a couple of hours, etc.  I did NOT use it as varnish remover or wood stain.

EDIT - Also, when it was "out", I always warned people, "You might not like this one so taste it so you KNOW not to buy it."  I'd never sandbag a bourbon geek.

Well, what was it?

I cut my teeth on Dickel 12 but found Dickel 8 to be awful. 

Good suggestions, I'm not going to kick myself over 1oz of wasted bourbon but I'll know better for next time.  

I value my liver more than the "bad" bourbon in my glass. 

So, if I am "not feel'n it" down the drain it goes.

There is always another bottle & another session around the corner. Only have one body though. IMHO

Cheers

1 hour ago, Wedelstaedt said:

I value my liver more than the "bad" bourbon in my glass. 

So, if I am "not feel'n it" down the drain it goes.

There is always another bottle & another session around the corner. Only have one body though. IMHO

Cheers

I have seen that referred to as ‘liver bandwidth’ ????????

I recently experienced this with the Jim Beam Double Oak bottle.  Too much oak for me with this particular bourbon.  So I took a vanilla bean, split it down the middle, dropped it in the bottle and let it sit for a month.  

Now I like it. :)  

Also tend to cook with the whiskey I don't like.  Learned that from an Ex, who used to cook with Black Maple Hill Bourbon.  The old stuff.  *cries* 

Good idea for a topic. I bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Cherry Wood Smoked Barely a while back and I absolutely can’t stand it. Just an odd taste that tastes like stale almonds. What I’m currently doing is when people are over I’m pushing this to get rid of it. Not one person has asked for an additional pour. Oh well $100 and a valuable lesson. Cool bottle though.

4 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Well, what was it?

I cut my teeth on Dickel 12 but found Dickel 8 to be awful. 

image.png.edbfb817a264c2a9529fef477947dac3.png Some people like it.  I'm not one of them.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

35 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

image.png.edbfb817a264c2a9529fef477947dac3.png Some people like it.  I'm not one of them.

All of the KBD/Willet products are hit or miss these days, have had stinkers in a few of the lines and some good pours from the very same labels, I have stopped buying.

• I like it 1

Never encountered one that I couldn't  stomach. Ive had some bottles that I wasn't crazy about. I typically drink them towards the end of the evening AFTER I enjoyed what I like.

Another proper method of disposal is taking them tailgating at football games where no liquor makes it back. use it for cooking. I would also use these bottles to make a mixed drinks  for myself or a guest if they wanted something containing whiskey/bourbon. 

Edited by PalmettoG27

let it sit a while.  re-visit and if still not hitting you, mix with Ale81 or re-gift it down the line is what I do!   JT

I've never had anything so "bad" that I wouldn't drink in in a Manhattan, old fashioned or bouievardier.  Vermouth, bitters, Campari, lemon/orange peel, etc. can cover a multitude of sins...

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

You are a smart man.

Never had this problem, that I can recall. There’s been a few occasions where I suddenly got incredibly tired and fell asleep with half a glass left, usually when I have a really late pour. I’ll either down it and go to bed, or one time I covered the glass and refrigerated it for the next night. I’m not a very wasteful person traditionally, especially bourbon, so there’s always a better use than the drain. In fact, I heavily cringe when people post pics on Instagram of them dumping a bottle, but that’s just me. I’ve mixed with coke, ice, water, dumped in the inifinity bottle, and even gargled bad whiskey on a sore throat. Luckily by now I have many years of experience under the old belt and I typically only buy fail safe bottles, but sometimes even the Wild Turkey 101 doesn’t do it. In that case I’ll drink the glass as normal and try to get a grip on what the problem is

I'm with you Harry on the OB.  It was a big disappointment for me too.  What's worse is they try to market it as a mid shelf bottle.  For crying out loud - doesn't anyone at KBD taste anything before they bottle it?

On a positive note, because of all the advice I get here, only good bottles come home with me for a long tine. :)

10 hours ago, flahute said:

You are a smart man.

Odd, I really like this.  It seems my tastes run contrary to quite a few here on the forum lol.

• I like it 1

I'll power through pretty much anything instead of pouring it out.  Guess I'm a bit of a miser that way.

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, Jav said:

I've been known to leave it out as a fruit fly trap!

I tend to use apple cider vinegar, but thanks for the tip, might have to make the switch!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.