Old Ezra 7 yr 117 Proof

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OGD 114 is cheaper AND is a known quantity. OTOH, OE 7yr 101 is a secret pleasure of mine.  THX for the head's up.

Wow! I'll be all over that if I ever see it out here.  I like the 101 but it seems to be pretty rare on the west coast...

I would say the $40 for a 7 year 117 proof bottle of (what is likely HH) Bourbon seems like a fantastic value. @Harry in WashDC I tend to prefer OGD BIB over the 114, not sure why. 

On the Joey Interest Scale for recent premium releases:  OE 6 yr 117 > Weller CYPB.  

• I like it 5

This is the sort of thing that I would have almost definitely grabbed a bottle of it came out a few years ago. I’m so burnt out by new releases and line extensions at this point. It’s fairly priced so I might buy a bottle but who knows. 

Edited by Spade

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

On the Joey Interest Scale for recent premium releases:  OE 6 yr 117 > Weller CYPB.  

by a wide margin for me as well. 

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I would say the $40 for a 7 year 117 proof bottle of (what is likely HH) Bourbon seems like a fantastic value. @Harry in WashDC I tend to prefer OGD BIB over the 114, not sure why. 

So do I - OGD BIB does not call for water or ice, mostly, so it is easier to handle than 114; But, some nights 114 just hits the spot at about 105 or so proof.  RE: likely HH - Luxco does not dispute that Ezra Brooks and OE are HH, and at $40, I would be a buyer even though OE 101 compared to 117, like OGD BIB compared to 114, would be easier to handle.B)

• I like it 2

• 2 months later...

Definitely going to grab a bottle of this when it finally comes out. I've heard rumors that this actually replaces the OE 101. PA carried that until recently when it was discontinued. Now this shows up. Sorta makes me wonder if we've seen the last of the OE 101??

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if this is limited or will it  be in the regular lineup like 101? If this is a regular then it is an indicator that the bourbon boom is gaining steam as OEBP is selling for $80 on the secondary.

• I like it 1

I wouldn't use the secondary as any guide, at this point this hasn't hit many markets once it hits full distribution my guess is that number will drop. Then again I'm in no way an expert on the secondary as I don't participate in it.

Popped mine open. Not a fan at first taste. Tasted narrow, without sweetness or deep rich flavors (in direct opposition of every single review Ive seen) with a decent amount of sharpie. Ill be revisiting soon to see if I was having a bad palate night.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Bbstout said:

Does anyone know if this is limited or will it  be in the regular lineup like 101? If this is a regular then it is an indicator that the bourbon boom is gaining steam as OEBP is selling for $80 on the secondary.

As far as I’ve been told it will be widely released.  One of my go-to stores says he’s getting a bunch & told me not to worry about having to hold me a couple bottles, that it wouldn’t be necessary.    

K&L in SF got three separate allocations over a couple of weeks and they all sold out pretty quickly.  3 per customer limit, too. 

On 11/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Bbstout said:

From what I understand this is not a limited release. I've heard that it isn't "Allocated" in Iowa, and pretty much every other bottle that is even remotely limited is (I think Henry McKenna BIB is on the Allocated list here, for instance). A local store quickly sold out of it and then had another 6 bottles on the shelves (for $40) yesterday.

I would absolutely not pay secondary for this, by all accounts it seems like this will be a regular on the shelves. The secondary is pretty dumb sometimes (or well, extra dumb), where virtually any new release sells for significantly over retail just so someone can brag and say they got it first. Even with regular releases like this.

Edited by EarthQuake

This may not be an intended “limited” release per se, nor “allocated” for that matter, but since this is sourced whiskey, and the Ezra 7 that it replaced did not have anywhere near full distribution, this is basically a limited release for all intents and purposes.

34 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

This may not be an intended “limited” release per se, nor “allocated” for that matter, but since this is sourced whiskey, and the Ezra 7 that it replaced did not have anywhere near full distribution, this is basically a limited release for all intents and purposes.

From my understanding the significance of not being allocated (in Iowa at least), is that stores can order more when they run out and costumers can ask stores to special order it for them. We can't do that for any of the allocated stuff. I would assume that this is the case for anywhere else where the product is distributed, but I'm not sure how it works in other markets. I know that we have semi-regular availability of some stuff (CEH Taylor, Blanton's, Baby Saz, etc) that others have trouble finding, and then barely get any allocation of others that seem to be very easily to find a state or two away (ie: Orphan Barrel stuff, which is plentiful in Ill).

Now, of course, if demand outstrips supply it will essentially be "limited", so it will be interesting to see how frequently it is on shelves. My guess is that when the initial hype dies down this will be pretty easy to find, but I could easily be wrong.

Edited by EarthQuake

9 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

From what I understand this is not a limited release. I've heard that it isn't "Allocated" in Iowa, and pretty much every other bottle that is even remotely limited is (I think Henry McKenna BIB is on the Allocated list here, for instance). A local store quickly sold out of it and then had another 6 bottles on the shelves (for $40) yesterday.

I would absolutely not pay secondary for this, by all accounts it seems like this will be a regular on the shelves. The secondary is pretty dumb sometimes (or well, extra dumb), where virtually any new release sells for significantly over retail just so someone can brag and say they got it first. Even with regular releases like this.

I agree on your secondary observation...but it is also a good indicator of regional price hikes and shortages to help prepare for the next dead soldier.

It's probably fair to assume this one won't last forever, especially in it's current form as Luxco transitions to their own distillate down the line. NJ never had distribution of OE7101 but this one hit shelves here, as did David Nicholson recently for the first time I can recall. We have always had Blood Oath and Rebel Yell has been on the shelves for a quite a while but Ezra 90 started showing up around the same time as the Rye which showed up very shortly after it was released elsewhere. Hard to believe in the current bourbon climate that Luxco would have enough stocks for all of it's products at their current prices at wider distribution for years to come. 

opened my bottle. reminds me of a cross between HH6 BIB & HM BIB. seems to drink more like 100 proof than 127. its pretty good, but not great.

as mentioned above, this may not be available everywhere. will see how often its on the shelf. right now theres tons of buzz about it so its selling out. did HH increase production in 2011, making this plentiful?

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

opened my bottle. reminds me of a cross between HH6 BIB & HM BIB. seems to drink more like 100 proof than 127. its pretty good, but not great.

as mentioned above, this may not be available everywhere. will see how often its on the shelf. right now theres tons of buzz about it so its selling out. did HH increase production in 2011, making this plentiful?

More a matter of what Luxco was able to source than HH's production, I know that the popular opinion is  that all Luxco products are sourced from HH but I don't believe that 100% of their stocks are HH.

I still haven’t seen this in my neck of the woods, but that doesn’t surprise me since OE7 101 was not carried by many stores in my area either. I’ll probably have to make a special request in order to get any of it in my area.

Went back to this one last night, I still don't like it. Bitter, astringent, woody in a bad way. I used it to mix after ten more minutes of trying.

I passed on this one having tried it before. My mystery whiskey tolerance continues to wane I suppose.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.